SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Experience Banking with CIT and their "high yield" savings account?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Experience Banking with CIT and their "high yield" savings account? Login/Join 
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted
Looking at moving some money in to a high(er) yield savings account. Someone recommended CIT, who Ive never heard of.

Do we have any customers of CIT?

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9700 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
I use American Express High Yield Savings, currently 2.10% APY for all balances.

CIT is higher, at 2.45% APY, but only if you maintain a balance above $25,000. Otherwise, it’s a relatively poor 1.17% APY.

Posts: 2328 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:
Looking at moving some money in to a high(er) yield savings account. Someone recommended CIT, who Ive never heard of.

If you have the 25k minimum, you can do better than 2.45APY. If you're doing the 100/mo, maybe it is OK.
No savings account is worth it right now (I say this having 25k+ in a savings account right now). If you want your money to grow, look elsewhere. If you are amassing funding (like I am), it is what it is. 1/4-1/2% difference is nothing in the short run.
Looks like it's FDIC, don't know how often they change rates (I use discover & they will change quarterly, I think). Ally, Discover, et al are probably about the same.

Posts: 3299 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Another possible option is to have a brokerage account with Vanguard, Fidelity, etc. I have one with Vanguard and I can link it to my bank account and move funds to Vanguard into their Prime Money Market or anything else they offer. If I want I can also move funds back into bank account. You don't get FDIC if that is a concern though.

Posts: 9752 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snidera:
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:

If you have the 25k minimum, you can do better than 2.45APY. If you're doing the 100/mo, maybe it is OK.
No savings account is worth it right now (I say this having 25k+ in a savings account right now). If you want your money to grow, look elsewhere. If you are amassing funding (like I am), it is what it is. 1/4-1/2% difference is nothing in the short run.
Looks like it's FDIC, don't know how often they change rates (I use discover & they will change quarterly, I think). Ally, Discover, et al are probably about the same.

I think high yield savings outperformed the stock market by like 8% percent or something last year.

Posts: 13051 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think high yield savings outperformed the stock market by like 8% percent or something last year.

One should never invest through a rear view mirror or in brokers terms past performance is no guarantee of future results. High yield savings should be a small part of an investment portfolio unless you need the money in the immediate future.

Posts: 17282 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post