SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tacoma battery recommendations needed
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tacoma battery recommendations needed Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:

DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT GET AN X2 Power!!!!
They used to be great but Northstar got bought out and there have been tons of issues with current X2 batteries.
So bad Batteries Plus is not very easy to deal with warranty anymore.
They take the battery and test it for 3 days before deciding whether they will cover it.
They do however give you a loaner battery. If your battery comes back good by their standards you owe full price for the loaner!

I was a huge X2 Power battery fan. I have had the in 3 vehicles with no issues.
Though the new reports since the buy out are not good.
I still have one X2 power battery going strong but it is 2 years old.
My Tundra needed a new battery and decided against the X2 and went back to NAPA Legend AGM.
Though the nonAGM Legends are good if you do not want AGM.

Thanks for that. I've not heard these negative reports on the Northstar AGM. I was planning on replacement in Dec which would be 3 years on the OEM battery, so out of warranty. I usually replace them at age rather than worrying about being stuck somewhere with a fail battery, although I do carry a Lithium Battery Booster Power Pack. With this mild summer we've had (heat kills batteries) I'm thinking it will be trustworthy a little longer.

Issues showing with failures in under a year on both the Tundra and Ford forums.
Both used to rave about the X2 Power until recently.
Hopefully they get it sorted out. They were once a solid battery.

I recently bought 2 Northstar group 27 Gold AGM's (marine) one showed 12.8 volts and immediately dropped to 6 volts when hit with a load, brand new. Had to re-install the 1 good battery of the 2 old ones, return it, then install the new one when it came in, what a royal pain in the ass. The replacements so far have been good and it's been about 7 months I think.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

My 2010 Prerunner's (4cyl, 5speed manual) OEM battery (Group 24) lasted 7 years, and here in AZ, no less. Our cars are garage parked, though, and that helps immensely.

I replaced it with an Odyssey AGM, their rough equivalent of a Group 24. It is a combination starting/deep cycle battery, with about 80 amp-hours of reserve. It is bit shorter, so they include a 1" plastic riser to go underneath in case your battery hold down is not adjustable. The alternator's voltage regulator adjusts voltage just fine for the AGM's needs. I have a voltmeter wired at the battery with a dash display. After a lengthy drive, the alternator voltage drops to around 13.5V, which is the correct float voltage for a fully charged battery. When first starting after sitting a spell, the voltage is in the 14.4V range.

I have used Odyssey batteries in other applications, some requiring deep cycle only, and have been very impressed with their quality of Made-in-USA build and longevity. They really shine in off-road and other applications where vibration is an issue.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A former co-worker tried talking me out of getting an AGM battery. It was very pricey for my budget. Years prior, I had good experience with old style Interstate with a few lasting about 6 years. I consider it as an investment of how long a good one can last, I bit the bullet and got an Odessey AGM PC1500 34/78. So glad I asked multiple people and decided to get it.

That battery lasted over ten years and never needed a jump. I used it in two different cars. The only reason I stopped using it: it was too big for the cars I currently use. Either too tall with top posts or too long to fit in area available.

I have been using a Northstar AGM in my TJ for about three years. So far, no issues.

--Tom
The right of self preservation, in turn, was understood as the right to defend oneself against attacks by lawless individuals, or, if absolutely necessary, to resist and throw off a tyrannical government.

Posts: 1506 | Location: Lehigh County,PA-USA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This thread was very timely for me. Battery on my 2013 F150 died 2 days ago. Couldn't remember ever replacing it, checked my maintenance log and sure enough it was the original battery! Over 8 years and 90K miles old.

Tried to find an Interstate dealer close by for a non Costco one but didn't have any luck. I figured letting Autozone check it for me and then install would be the quickest and easiest way to get back on the road. Bought the $170 Duralast Gold battery with the 36 month replacement warranty. Wonder how long it will hold up.

Thanks for all the suggestions in the thread.

Posts: 1121 | Registered: July 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post