SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Microsoft Office 97 now read only
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Microsoft Office 97 now read only Login/Join 
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted
I have used the WORD and EXCEL since the beginning with no problem until a year ago. WORD was the first to result in read only at times and you would have to save it to a new folder.

Now WORD and EXCEL are both read only and you can not save changes to existing documents or new documents you created.

I checked under TOOLS to change from "read only" and it does not show that this function is activated.

Next I uninstalled WORD and then reinstalled it the next day. Still doesn't work.

So did Bill Gates nuke the software for more money? Mad

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
I have used the WORD and EXCEL since the beginning with no problem until a year ago. WORD was the first to result in read only at times and you would have to save it to a new folder.

Now WORD and EXCEL are both read only and you can not save changes to existing documents or new documents you created.

I checked under TOOLS to change from "read only" and it does not show that this function is activated.

Next I uninstalled WORD and then reinstalled it the next day. Still doesn't work.

As a test, try re-installing and testing without being connected to the internet.
You may need to nuke registry entries.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4832 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:

Yup, he personally sought you out. Razz

97 - really? Eek

PS inasmuch Mark123 doesn't like when someone says to do a search ~ there are some detailed processes that might apply so I such you do the same.
That way you you can see what specifically applies to your situation.

Good Luck

Posts: 22906 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
97 - really? Eek
I'm running Office 2003 in Windows 10. Works like a charm. Razz

Posts: 107580 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Maybe a file format incompatibility?

.docx vs .doc

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15316 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Maybe a file format incompatibility?

.docx vs .doc

New documents created using Word 97 would be in ".doc" format.

.docx files are zip files. You can change the extension from .docx to .zip and see the additional files.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4832 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
As a test, try re-installing and testing without being connected to the internet.
You may need to nuke registry entries.

The registry entries sounds like it may be the culprit. I will check it out. THANKS JUPITER

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a licensing/"activation" thing to me, the license period paid for at initial installation perhaps has expired.

My advice? Switch to an OpenOffice.Org derivative. Back when I was supporting Windows, people would occasionally come across .doc, .xls, etc. files that MS Office refused to open. OO.O would always read these successfully and re-save them in a format that Windows liked OK with no loss of content or formatting. This one thing convinced me that MS Office should be avoided, even if "that is all you know."

Posts: 6470 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
Another forum member clued me into this website. I used it to buy a 5 machine license of Office for very cheap. No trouble with activation and they continue to work fine… maybe a cheap upgrade is your best bet.

https://shop.winandoffice.com/usa/

Posts: 6364 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Let us know if the disconnect internet works.

I'm still running 2003 on various computers (win7, 10 and 11)

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
Sounds like a licensing/"activation" thing to me, the license period paid for at initial installation perhaps has expired.

My advice? Switch to an OpenOffice.Org derivative. Back when I was supporting Windows, people would occasionally come across .doc, .xls, etc. files that MS Office refused to open. OO.O would always read these successfully and re-save them in a format that Windows liked OK with no loss of content or formatting. This one thing convinced me that MS Office should be avoided, even if "that is all you know."

The company I worked for tried to switch to other office solutions to save money. The biggest issue was with highly customized .xlsx and .docx documents employees created over the years. More times than not, macros would not work correctly. Many of the office documents had custom macros created by local divisions to suit the needs of their accounting departments, etc.. This created a huge problem across dozens of divisions.

Every time MS pushed a major update, we prayed they didn't break something.

-- George Orwell

I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jupiter:

I did a Situation Room For Nellis AFB and simultaneously another one, identical to the one I was doing, was being done in D.C. The one in D.C. was evidently extremely important to Homeland Security and thus the two identical rooms.

Whenever a change or update was planned, they did it at Nellis first so they'd be sure it would work at D.C.

Until the Videoconferencer manufacturer did a firmware update. Worked perfectly at Nellis. Installed it at D.C. and 2 of the Videoconferencer functions stopped working. They spoke to the people who did the one in D.C. and they wanted $2,000.00 just to go try and find out what the problem was and more to fix it.

So Nellis got the source code from D.C., sent it to me and asked me to see if I could find the problem. I did and told them what it was and then for a year a dozen people who had no idea how to read, write or troubleshoot code had monthly meetings trying to decide whether or not to implement my fix.

They finally did and it started working again.

Your Government in action.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thumperfbc:
Another forum member clued me into this website. I used it to buy a 5 machine license of Office for very cheap. No trouble with activation and they continue to work fine… maybe a cheap upgrade is your best bet.

Nice! Visio is only $20.

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:
Originally posted by Jupiter:

I did and told them what it was and then for a year a dozen people who had no idea how to read, write or troubleshoot code had monthly meetings trying to decide whether or not to implement my fix.

They finally did and it started working again.

Your Government in action.

Sounds about right. I hope they appreciated your talent, Flash-LB.

I wrote several web/desktop based programs that ended up being picked up by corporate at a large fortune 500 company. If something went wrong with any of these programs after an update, I was the one they were looking at to fix the problem since I wrote the programs, created/maintained the SQL databases and configured/maintained the web server they ran on. Many of the reports from these systems produced Excel files or Word documents. If anything was likely to go wrong, it was going to be Office Interop related 75% of the time.

-- George Orwell

Picture of btgoanna
posted Hide Post
Do you have write permissions on the directory you are trying to save the files ?

Posts: 832 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: November 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
Try right click on the Word app and run as administrator.

Should negate any write issue on the volume being saved to… if you can’t run as administrator… your account may have permission issues.

My experience with Ofdice 97 is the product is pre KMS and shouldn’t expire.

Though, updates may modify this.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7179 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Are you still using Netscape to get on Sigforum?

Posts: 33807 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
quote:
Originally posted by thumperfbc:

Nice! Visio is only $20.

Wow. That is nice!

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19662 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:

How do you think he became a multi-billionaire?

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31441 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Are you still using Netscape to get on Sigforum?

Via AOL.

[Dial-up modem noises: Eeeeeeeee-ooooooonnnnnnnggggghhhhhh-beeeeeeeeep]

"Hang up the daggum phone! I'm trying to check Sigforum!"

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post