SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    HVAC Guys - Goodman 3 ton Qs
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HVAC Guys - Goodman 3 ton Qs Login/Join 
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted
I had a new Goodman 3 ton unit installed by the local HVAC company less than 18 months ago. Last week, the AC wasnt working properly. I called them back.

They tell me that the coils in the Goodman are "cracked" and the gas coolant is leaking out. Fine I say, 10 year warranty - fix it.

Well......they say, the 1 year labor warranty is out as of this past January. So it will be $1400 to fix the $3500 AC unit they sold me.

Of course now that I own it and have a "service contract" with them, they are telling me that the Goodman AC unit is a POS. They put gas in it, they said and ome week later it is still working properly - while I search for an honest HVAC company to come examine it and give me a 2nd opinion.

What do the HVAC experts say? Anyone know an honest Goodman service technician in the Greensboro NC area I can call? Thanks! Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
Goodman is in a class action

https://www.tzlegal.com/goodma...d-in-north-carolina/

I had to replace the coil in our package unit Goodman last year. I got 5 years out of mine and Goodman didn’t cover shit. 1300 for coil, labor, refrigerant.

I understand the frustration, they suck.

My downstairs unit crapped out last week. Install on this coming Tuesday. I got 20 years out of that Heil split unit. So I feel lucky on that one.

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1288 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
The material, most of it, should be covered. Coils usually outlast the system.

Labor plus misc material for an easy swap, $800. Evac, cut free, swap, braze, nitrogen flush, pull vac (3x?) charge.

Goodman used to be garbage but the company was bought and has had a turn-around.

Did they have the front off the coil? Did you see them brazing any connections?

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lee40215
posted Hide Post
You need an honest company to do a leak check. Could be as simple as replacing the schrader valves.

Posts: 1097 | Location: Louisville, Kentucky | Registered: August 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
That cost is outrageous. I could get the entire AC replaced for just a bit more than that cost.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20837 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1400 is ridiculous, considering they sold it to you a little over a year ago!

The manufacture will replace the 'coil only' under warranty.
They will not pay for recovery, new refrigerant, filter/drier, nitrogen, brazing supplies, drain coupler, tax or labor.

Posts: 10056 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the info fellas! Especially the link to the class action suit. I will look into that.

Any suggestions for an honest repairman to do a leak check? It has been almost two weeks since Eanes Heating and Air examined it and put a charge in it. And it is still working today. So I'm wondering how bad the leak is. Thanks again for the help! Regards 18DAI

Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
The coil is copper right. Why can't they solder the crack.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
It an aluminum coil. Im told thats the main problem. If it were copper, it would last longer. Regards 18DAI

posted Hide Post
I had a Goodman R22 condenser that did the same thing around a 2008 unit in 2011, coil cracked.....my buddy braised it and it held for a good while (was a copper coil), then the air handler started leaking in 2016, I just replaced the entire unit with a different brand.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmnut:
The coil is copper right. Why can't they solder the crack.

Most older coils are copper tube/ aluminum fin designed.
The problem is the copper is paper thin to achieve better efficiency ratings.
With the paper thin copper, formicary corrosion eats them up. Fix one spot, another follows and another.

quote:
Originally posted by 18DAI:
It an aluminum coil. Im told thats the main problem. If it were copper, it would last longer. Regards 18DAI

Full aluminum coils last longer. If the aluminum coil is leaking, it's a fluke.
The original GE aluminum coil design was bought by American Standard and they have been using them FOREVER along with their sister company Trane. Almost every company today has gone to aluminum coils for longevity.

Since they sold you the system 1.5 yrs ago, they should be willing to work with you on the replacement cost.
It shouldn't be happening very often, so what's it worth to them to keep a client happy?

If they have a bunch of failures, then they are doing something wrong.

The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
Good news! WADE HEATING AND AIR also known as Wade Oil. My parents used them for over a decade. My sister gave me their number last night.

They came out this afternoon. Checked the entire system. The coils were fine. No leaks. A copper line, bundled with some other lines, had a small hole rubbed in it. They welded it.

The coils in the Goodman? They are not aluminum, they are copper too,Nothing else the matter with my ac system. Service call and labor - under $200. HONEST MEN! If you live in the Trisd area of NC, give them a call.

And DO NOT call Eanes! Even if the whole system is on fire. Theiving sumbitches!

Thanks to all for the advice, info and support! Smile Best regards 18DAI

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Excellent news!

Now with that $1,200 extra in your pocket you were expecting to have, you should get a new SIG. Smile

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20837 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's great to hear and a great outcome.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 18DAI:
Good news! WADE HEATING AND AIR also known as Wade Oil. My parents used them for over a decade. My sister gave me their number last night.

They came out this afternoon. Checked the entire system. The coils were fine. No leaks. A copper line, bundled with some other lines, had a small hole rubbed in it. They welded it.

The coils in the Goodman? They are not aluminum, they are copper too,Nothing else the matter with my ac system. Service call and labor - under $200. HONEST MEN! If you live in the Trisd area of NC, give them a call.

And DO NOT call Eanes! Even if the whole system is on fire. Theiving sumbitches!

Thanks to all for the advice, info and support! Smile Best regards 18DAI

Make sure you give them the rating they deserve on Yelp, Google, Facebook, Angie’s List. Make those crooks regret trying to scam you!

Posts: 33853 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
Roger that! Smile Wife 2.0 is working on the glowing ratings right now!

posted Hide Post
So they sold/installed your new A/C system and DIDN'T replace the line-set? Roll Eyes

Are the lines even the right size for the new system?
Did they install a new filter drier?

You gotta love shortcuts... then people wonder why legit companies have higher prices.
But, in this case, it doesn't sound like they were cheap, just hacks!

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Sent you an email regarding them.

Posts: 33853 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
Here in the W-S area, Don’s Heating and Air put the systems in my house and I’ve used them to put in a humidifier and run some gas lines. Had them (the owner’s son, actually) come back for an annual inspection and check the refrigerant pressures last year, cause it seemed prudent. He came out, did exactly what I’d asked, and saw that I was maintaining the filters, keeping the bushes away from the condenser units, etc and confirmed that all was running well and ready for the upcoming cooling season. Then went on to say thanks for keeping the units in good condition, and not to worry about annual inspections unless I noticed a problem or had some other issue - said since all was well several years after the install, they were very unlikely to find anything before I noticed an issue - just call then and not worry about an annual “check-up”, that is would just waste my time and money. Felt the units would give good service for many years to come. He could have recommended the annual $70 check up and pocketed the cash, but (at least in my uneducated opinion) gave me honest advice. Being happy with the work, price, cleanliness, and service, I’ll definitely continue to use them in the future should the need arise.

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
A good number of the reviews for that Eanes HVAC company are pretty bad! OP; how did you end up with them in the first place?