SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    If a person fertilizes lawns are they providing lawn care?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If a person fertilizes lawns are they providing lawn care? Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
Here’s my weekly post of confusion.

A while back I graduated the business to lawn fertilization and quit taking mowing jobs. I’m only accepting lawn fertilizing work (including applying fertilizer, weed control, insect preventative and curative, lime application, and seeding). I’ll also take aeration if the schedule permits. All those things are applied to lawns for the care of said lawn. In general, I care for people’s lawns.

I get calls for mowing quite often. The ones I get at this time of year are for lawns that have been neglected, are 6’ high and need mowed “RIGHT NOW!” I usually stop them before they make such demands and explain that I am a fertilizing business and don’t take mowing jobs.

Without fail, they begin arguing with me, “well the internet says you do lawn care”. I reply “that’s correct.” Then they argued with me that lawn care is mowing.

Do I need to change the name of my business? Maybe something like “no mow services”.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mark123,

Posts: 45385 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I am a leaf
on the wind...
posted Hide Post
Yes. To the layman, ie me, "lawn Care" encompasses everything to do with my lawn. I would add in the no mowing clause.

Posts: 2122 | Location: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: August 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Min-Chin-Chu-Ru... Speed with Glare
posted Hide Post
To me, a business citing "lawn care" does what you do. A "landscaping" or "landscaper" business does what you do, plus mowing, shrub pruning, etc.

Posts: 1266 | Location: MA | Registered: December 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
I think you should, if for no other reason than to save your self frustration over semantics.

To me, lawn care is an all inclusive term and mowing is the biggest part of lawn care in my mind. I would change your online presence to reflect that you are a fertilizing service, and list the other services that you provide as well.

If nothing else, this would save you from some of the arguments with random strangers about what services they think you should provide.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3516 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
TruGreen describes themselves as 'America's #1 Lawn Care Company' They don't provide mowing services so I would say that you're using industry standards for describing your services.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1748 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
Do I need to change the name of my business? Maybe something like “no mow services”.

Yes, spell it out in plain English, in bold capital letters, WE DO NOT MOW LAWN, and save yourself from future arguments.

Q

Posts: 26456 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Something like "Lawn Doctor" too cute?
Maybe something else along that line.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8357 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
^^^

I came here to post that.

How about:

"No Mow Lawns"

Big Grin

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43916 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
At some point in the 80's the popular definition of "lawn care" morphed from mowing and trimming services into chemical application ala Lawn Docter et. al. The heavy advertising of the providers entering the industry was what got this into people's heads. Before that, it was generally provided as an extra service to regular mowing customers. The term "grounds keeping/maintenance" did not suffer the same fate.

I think these days, when most people think of "lawn care," that is what they mean with the assumption that mowing and trimming will be handled by the property owner, or another contractor. I suspect that this is a direct result of the EPA-related regulation of herbicides and insecticides that left home owners and commercial property owners (and many grounds maintenance providers) with the feeling that they just didn't want to deal with all that nonsense. Many commercial providers of grounds keeping services were eager to adopt this paradigm shift due to the higher margins (barely) and lessened involvement with the heavy labor requirements of mowing services.

I was working in the industry servicing commercial properties when this was happening, and the focus of trade shows and industry conventions/seminars changed markedly during this time. In fact, I usually think of these as distinct businesses "labor services," and "chemical services." I'd bet there are a lot of long-term Lawn Doctor franchisees who have never, in their career, been paid for mowing a lawn.

One way of dealing with jobs you don't want is to quote a price that the customer is not likely to accept. An old boss said it this way, "There are lots of jobs I don't want. I'll turn down some because I can't afford to take them, and accept some because I can't afford not to take them." Another deflection mechanism is to require a season-long commitment from the potential customer, including an initial "clean-up" charge, perhaps 4-10X what a usual mow would be. Invariably, the properties with lawns that are knee high also have shrubbery that is overgrown and choked with weeds, that would be a separate clean-up charge. Season-long contracts help with labor issues because of predictable requirements, and even out the cash flow.

And, if you are unwilling to consider mowing at any compensation level, definitely say as much on your website. It might also be useful to have a firm to which you could refer customers for these services, especially if they are willing to pay you a finder's fee.

Posts: 6502 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
I have a lawn care company and one that fertilizes the yard. So, yea, I'd call you if I needed my yard mowed.

On the flip side, if you can keep weeds from growing in my yard, I'd take your business. Seems none of the fertilizer companies can do it even though it's the only thing they do.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
I employ Green Thumb Lawn Care to do the work that you described. They don’t mow lawns and I’ve never been confused about that. Wink

Posts: 2583 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I think I'd start out using 12131's suggestion before a name change. True Green does that just with their name but you need something almost as simple and thrifty with words.

Early and prominently in your ad make a list of what you do and don't do. Keep it simple and basic-we do 1,2& 3, and we don't do 4,5&6 type of thing. Right after your company name put something real simple that tells what you do.

Unfortunately when you deal directly with the public, there are always some that want to debate and nit pick. Thank them for their suggestion and go on with your business.

Posts: 9536 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Unfortunately when you deal directly with the public, there are always some that want to debate and nit pick. Thank them for their suggestion and go on with your business.

You can change it all your want, but doubtful you can eliminate the calls from people to mow.

I'd do a catchy phrase vs some we don't only statement, no reason to be negative.

We'll make your yard green and grow
but there ain't no way we we'll fuck'n mow... Big Grin

burma shave...

probably have to take out the fuck'n part...

Posts: 23535 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
We'll make your yard green and grow
but there ain't no way we we'll fuck'n mow... Big Grin

I like it.

Posts: 9536 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
^^^

I came here to post that.

How about:

"No Mow Lawns"

Big Grin

Kinda, beat me to it, I was thinking new company name "NO MO MO"

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3763 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:

I don't know if they're still in business, but there was a lawn care company around here named 'Lawn Doctor'.
I would research any new name to avoid confusion or hassles.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16530 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffxjet:
Yes. To the layman, ie me, "lawn Care" encompasses everything to do with my lawn. I would add in the no mowing clause.

Agreed. In my mind, lawn care includes mowing.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
You should change the name. I get the idea of what it means but clearly customers can’t be sure without checking. In addition I’d add that I stay away from businesses that have negativity in their ads. A big “WE DONT MOW” is sort of an angry ad. Maybe a more positive note like “fertilIzation services (sorry we do not offer mowing service at this time ).

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12445 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

In my mind, lawn care includes mowing.
I have a shiny new nickel, and I'll put it up as my end of a bet.

I'll bet that I can name at least a dozen things that are commonly accepted as "legal services," that the law office of jhe888 will refuse to do.

Any takers on that bet?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30714 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:

Already taken…

https://www.lawndoctor.com/

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6331 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post