SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone own a new Civic Type R?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone own a new Civic Type R? Login/Join 
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:
quote:
$5,000 "market adjustment"

Find another dealer & report them to Honda.

Serious question-what would this accomplish? Does Honda not allow markups like this?

Posts: 2935 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DonDraper:
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
Not to mention, they lack the horsepower and modding them to get to the level of a type R

100% Incorrect. Smile You might want to hang out in a GTI/R forum for a day and see the power these cars can make with the plethora of turbos available and endless fuel and tuning options.

And how much more does that cost? And I’m not just talking the price of the mods. Any time you squeeze more power out of a vehicle, you reduce the reliability of other power train components. Especially the DCT in a GTI.

The same could be said for someone who mods a stock Type R. Sure, you’ll get more power, but you’ll reduce the reliability/durability of other components, not just the engine.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3969 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Dealers can set their own prices. There is nothing to report. Many manufacturer’s dealers have a history of asking over MSRP for low production/specialty cars/trucks.

———————————————

Posts: 3969 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Not to mention, they lack the horsepower and modding them to get to the level of a type R

100% Incorrect. Smile You might want to hang out in a GTI/R forum for a day and see the power these cars can make with the plethora of turbos available and endless fuel and tuning options.

And how much more does that cost? And I’m not just talking the price of the mods. Any time you squeeze more power out of a vehicle, you reduce the reliability of other power train components. Especially the DCT in a GTI.

The same could be said for someone who mods a stock Type R. Sure, you’ll get more power, but you’ll reduce the reliability/durability of other components, not just the engine.

The dual clutch DSG transmission can easily handle 400ft-lbs of torque. I don't have any concern with a mild stage 1 tune and the stock components holding up. I have no physical modifications of any kind (except a tire upgrade). I drove 530 something miles today to Louisville and still averaged 33 mpg. The ultimate sleeper if you ask me.

So cost of your GTI plus a $699 off the shelf tune - and it will more than likely beat a stock Type R in the quarter mile. Add a simple downpipe upgrade (anywhere from $200 to $1200 depending on quality, cat choice) and a stage 2 tune (or custom tune) and it will gap a stock Type R quite easily in the quarter mile. Tons of people run Stage 2 for lots of miles without issue. Go nuts and upgrade your fueling here and there, combined with one of the many hybrid turbos - you have the potential for 500whp and quarter mile runs in the 10's and 11's. I completely agree - in that "go nuts" world, it's a complete gamble on the reliability, and you're looking for trouble. Just not the case in the stage 1 power levels with the GTI. Apologies for going off on a GTI tangent OP! I know the Type R also definitely handles more than great and brakes like a super car.

Unless you're in love with that Type R boy racer style - don't overlook the new Accord 2.0t - it's super fast and doesn't look like a space ship, and you can get it in a manual transmission.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Dealers can set their own prices. There is nothing to report. Many manufacturer’s dealers have a history of asking over MSRP for low production/specialty cars/trucks.

Yes they can. But the manufacturers frown on it, and if enough people complain maybe they'll do something.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

The dual clutch DSG transmission can easily handle 400ft-lbs of torque. I don't have any concern with a mild stage 1 tune and the stock components holding up. I have no physical modifications of any kind (except a tire upgrade). I drove 530 something miles today to Louisville and still averaged 33 mpg. The ultimate sleeper if you ask me.

So cost of your GTI plus a $699 off the shelf tune - and it will more than likely beat a stock Type R in the quarter mile. Add a simple downpipe upgrade (anywhere from $200 to $1200 depending on quality, cat choice) and a stage 2 tune (or custom tune) and it will gap a stock Type R quite easily in the quarter mile. Tons of people run Stage 2 for lots of miles without issue. Go nuts and upgrade your fueling here and there, combined with one of the many hybrid turbos - you have the potential for 500whp and quarter mile runs in the 10's and 11's. I completely agree - in that "go nuts" world, it's a complete gamble on the reliability, and you're looking for trouble. Just not the case in the stage 1 power levels with the GTI. Apologies for going off on a GTI tangent OP! I know the Type R also definitely handles more than great and brakes like a super car.

Unless you're in love with that Type R boy racer style - don't overlook the new Accord 2.0t - it's super fast and doesn't look like a space ship, and you can get it in a manual transmission.

And someone can mod a stock Type R and make IT faster. See where this is going? There’s an old saying about how fast do you wanna go and how much do you wanna spend. Power is one thing. Braking and handling are another, and stock for stock a Type R will easily mop the floor with a GTI. Styling is subjective. Some say the Type R is boyish, some say the GTI looks like it was styled 20 years ago. I’ve always been of the opinion don’t like it, don’t buy it.

———————————————

Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

And someone can mod a stock Type R and make IT faster. See where this is going? There’s an old saying about how fast do you wanna go and how much do you wanna spend. Power is one thing. Braking and handling are another, and stock for stock a Type R will easily mop the floor with a GTI. Styling is subjective. Some say the Type R is boyish, some say the GTI looks like it was styled 20 years ago. I’ve always been of the opinion don’t like it, don’t buy it.

Well this conversation/tangent started after you claimed the GTI lacked the power and modding to "get to the level" of the Type R... Just wanted to make sure you knew that was wrong Wink Also braking in the GTI with the Perf. pack brakes (same as the R, Audi S3) is as good as the Type R 60-0. You can start with a GTI in the low $20K's and do very little to get it past the Type R, or you can start at $41K as seen above with a Type R.

--------------------

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
I've always liked the Type R family. This example's biggest problem is how good the SI is. And dealerships really are being cocksuckers with the pricing. For me, there definitely is a point where you can spend too much on a FWD car.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorSolo:
I've always liked the Type R family. This example's biggest problem is how good the SI is. And dealerships really are being cocksuckers with the pricing. For me, there definitely is a point where you can spend too much on a FWD car.

This for sure. I love my Hondas. I've owned multiple 1g CRX SI and a 3g Civic SI. I really wanted a Type R so badly. I was not about to spend $40k+ on a $35k MSRP car though. Instead I got my Fusion Sport for $32k on a $41k MSRP. 325hp/380tq without wings on the trunk or bumpy ride. Perfect car for someone who wants speed and comfort in a total sleeper car. The only distinction from the slower models is the quad exhaust and a 1/2"x3" SPORT badge. I would love to have gotten the Civic, but I'll take the .1 second hit in 0-60 I get in my car vs the Type R for $8k less and a comfortable ride.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Well this conversation/tangent started after you claimed the GTI lacked the power and modding to "get to the level" of the Type R... Just wanted to make sure you knew that was wrong Wink Also braking in the GTI with the Perf. pack brakes (same as the R, Audi S3) is as good as the Type R 60-0. You can start with a GTI in the low $20K's and do very little to get it past the Type R, or you can start at $41K as seen above with a Type R.

GTI’s start at $27,600, not low 20’s. And they don’t hold their value well at all. Couple that with VW’s quality problems and there really is no comparison.

———————————————

posted Hide Post
quote:
I owned an a6 Quattro several years ago and can tell you the advantage of AWD is overblown in good conditions.

I believe that when comparing AWD to RWD in dry conditions. I don’t care what Honda does to try and mask torque steer, understeer and line changes based on throttle position but it will be there, worse than either AWD or RWD especially as hp goes up.

Posts: 3923 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
quote:
GTI’s start at $27,600, not low 20’s. And they don’t hold their value well at all. Couple that with VW’s quality problems and there really is no comparison.

You can always locate the base GTI's in the low 20's between model years. Mine was top of the line Autobahn version, loaded - stickered for $36K+ but got it for less than 29K.

--------------------

Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
quote:
I owned an a6 Quattro several years ago and can tell you the advantage of AWD is overblown in good conditions.

I believe that when comparing AWD to RWD in dry conditions. I don’t care what Honda does to try and mask torque steer, understeer and line changes based on throttle position but it will be there, worse than either AWD or RWD especially as hp goes up.

You need to drive a Type R.

———————————————

posted Hide Post
I would own one right now but gad dang it’s got to be the ugliest new car made. Handing is epic,it’s front wheel drive but it really doesn’t matter which to me is very impressive. I drove a Hyundai Veloster N with the performance package and it was probably 90% of the performance, way better sounding, much better looking and $10,000 less expensive. Currently I’m weighing my options. Both the civic type R and the veloster N are owned by friends and I drove them hard when testing. It’s nuts to hang the back end out on a front wheel drive car but both of them will do it

If your going to keep it on the street the cost savings of the veloster N is where it’s at as the performance gains on the civic type R can only be exploited on a track or felonious driving on the street.

Posts: 548 | Location: washington state. | Registered: June 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hyundai Veloster N

Never heard of one of those, just looked it up, I'd definitely would have considered one of those.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
May want to wait for 2020.

Type R Facelift Spotted Without Boy Racer-Style Rear Wing

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Well I definitely won't be getting anything til at least 2021, so that's a plus.

I actually like the styling, overall, although I do think the wing is a bit uncouth.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4619 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post