SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone own a new Civic Type R?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone own a new Civic Type R? Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I fully get the function > form part. Just the styling doesn't do much for me.

I don't mind the high wings on the STi, EVO or something like the W201 190E Evo II

Just something about the CTR styling doesn't pull my want strings.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15326 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
I’m 46 years old and love everything about the styling of the Type R. It has the performance to back up the looks.

As for all-wheel drive, no need for that extra weight and power loss. A few people complained about the lack of AWD on the SVT Lightnings when they first came out. If you can put the power down on dry asphalt, I don’t need AWD. Not to mention you can further develop your driving skills with FWD or RWD alone without further driving up the cost of the platform with AWD. Even with AWD, you’d better not be driving like an idiot on snow or ice covered roads.

Wanting AWD is more about traction at line and coming out of a corner, not snow or ice handling. The larger the surface area the driving wheels are in contact the more force can be applied. Fat slick tires can do this or doubling the number of driving wheels can do it too.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20823 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
I’m 46 years old and love everything about the styling of the Type R. It has the performance to back up the looks.

As for all-wheel drive, no need for that extra weight and power loss. A few people complained about the lack of AWD on the SVT Lightnings when they first came out. If you can put the power down on dry asphalt, I don’t need AWD. Not to mention you can further develop your driving skills with FWD or RWD alone without further driving up the cost of the platform with AWD. Even with AWD, you’d better not be driving like an idiot on snow or ice covered roads.

Wanting AWD is more about traction at line and coming out of a corner, not snow or ice handling. The larger the surface area the driving wheels are in contact the more force can be applied. Fat slick tires can do this or doubling the number of driving wheels can do it too.

I understand that. Someone earlier in the thread was talking about all season tires, etc. I owned an a6 Quattro several years ago and can tell you the advantage of AWD is overblown in good conditions.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcereuss:

The wing is functional, in point of fact...arguably, the hood scoop has some cooling function, but that is debatable. I think the hood scoop adds to the look, however...and the car is far from a "pretender.'

At Nurburgring, the Typr R beat/bested the lap times of the Porsche Panerama Turbo, the 996 Porsche 911 Turbo, the Z06 Corvette, the Ferrari F430 F1, the Caterham R500, the Renault Megane RS 275 Trophy, the 997 Porsche 911 Turbo, the Nissan GT-R, the Mercedes CLK DTM AMG, and the Lamborghini Gallardo LP 560-4 (yes, I had to do an internet search!).

Large wings such as this are usually functional at 100 mph or more. Yes they do provide downforce. But for 99.99% of owners it's completely irrelevant. It may drop your lap time if you have a circuit close, that has a decent sized straight, but nobody makes money at trackdays. In the end it's a design/looks thing. Owners will claim this and that however.

Ring times are inflated, and that's an understatement. There is no standard rule body at the ring. Manus put roll bars in, chassis reinforcement, gut interiors, use "ringer" motors, use tires that aren't stock or what you get at the stealer, etc etc. None of them are production cars. They've all been modified in various ways and no standardization is there so it's clickbait. The Ring is great for dev but the lap times are internet fodder. If the manus would each test their cars 100% stock, the same as they are delivered to the end customer they could be used as reference. It's a joke in the industry. All the cars are modded specifically for the circuit and specifically to generate a time to market and hype up on the internet or in the magazines. Pobst, MT, etc, testing production cars back to back in California are more accurate than any ring data. But even those comparisons are completely skewed as they only test in the warm/dry. You rarely see 100% stock comparisons done in the rain, the snow, the cold. It's always warm/dry on the internet and those comparisons. They're a joke as well.

Best thing you can do is go drive all the vehicles in the class or all you are interested in, and make your own decisions. Unless you are driving them all yourself you are letting the internet or magazines decide what you are spending 30, 35, or 40k on.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12637 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
quote:

The wing is functional, in point of fact...arguably, the hood scoop has some cooling function, but that is debatable. I think the hood scoop adds to the look, however...and the car is far from a "pretender.'

At Nurburgring, the Typr R beat/bested the lap times of the Porsche Panerama Turbo, the 996 Porsche 911 Turbo, the Z06 Corvette, the Ferrari F430 F1, the Caterham R500, the Renault Megane RS 275 Trophy, the 997 Porsche 911 Turbo, the Nissan GT-R, the Mercedes CLK DTM AMG, and the Lamborghini Gallardo LP 560-4 (yes, I had to do an internet search!).

Large wings such as this are usually functional at 100 mph or more. Yes they do provide downforce. But for 99.99% of owners it's completely irrelevant. It may drop your lap time if you have a circuit close, that has a decent sized straight, but nobody makes money at trackdays. In the end it's a design/looks thing. Owners will claim this and that however.

Ring times are inflated, and that's an understatement. There is no standard rule body at the ring. Manus put roll bars in, chassis reinforcement, gut interiors, use "ringer" motors, use tires that aren't stock or what you get at the stealer, etc etc. None of them are production cars. They've all been modified in various ways and no standardization is there so it's clickbait. The Ring is great for dev but the lap times are internet fodder. If the manus would each test their cars 100% stock, the same as they are delivered to the end customer they could be used as reference. It's a joke in the industry. All the cars are modded specifically for the circuit and specifically to generate a time to market and hype up on the internet or in the magazines. Pobst, MT, etc, testing production cars back to back in California are more accurate than any ring data. But even those comparisons are completely skewed as they only test in the warm/dry. You rarely see 100% stock comparisons done in the rain, the snow, the cold. It's always warm/dry on the internet and those comparisons. They're a joke as well.

Best thing you can do is go drive all the vehicles in the class or all you are interested in, and make your own decisions. Unless you are driving them all yourself you are letting the internet or magazines decide what you are spending 30, 35, or 40k on.

I concede your point about 'ring time times...but the Type R still bested them! Big Grin

If you believe this from Jalopnik: "Honda set the lap time with what they call a “pre-production model that was technically representative of production specification.” A floating roll cage was added for safety reasons, but Honda claims that the cage did not improve the rigidity of the frame. In order to compensate for the extra weight of the roll cage, Honda removed the rear seats and display audio system. The record-setting Type R was also outfitted with street-legal track focused tires. Honda declined to specify the actual tires used."

...it would seem that the Type R was "nearly production."

Posts: 2935 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Even with AWD, you’d better not be driving like an idiot on snow or ice covered roads.

In my neighborhood you won't get home without AWD in December - January. You're right about not driving like an idiot with AWD. If you're driving smart it is a big improvement over FWD. AWD is a requirement for the wife and I until I retire and move to a more hospitable climate.

Posts: 7553 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
The Type R being the second fastest FWD car around the 'ring is impressive. The folk who brought us LeCar have the fastest.

Posts: 10944 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
The Civic Type R is hideous. Fast car for sure, but good lawd it is fugly. It looks like a fake WRX STi. I just don't want to stick out like a sore thumb. I prefer a VW GTI. I have 300+ hp, 300+ tq, and no torque steer whatsoever thanks to the factory LSD diff and other features.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
^^^

Golf R is listed at 280ish hp and ft lbs. What model GTI do you have?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20823 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
What are your thoughts?

I don't know much about the Type R I assume it competes with the top VW GTI, Subaru WRX STI, Focus RS, etc. I saw one at the local dealer when I was there having a recall done on my Ridgeline and while it looks like a nice piece were I interested at all the $5,000 "market adjustment" (if they can make anywhere close to that much stick) would turn me off.

Chatting with a salesman I asked if they had any base Civic hatchbacks with a manual transmission. (I thought one could be a fun little car to compliment my truck). He said none on the lot and no one actually even wants a manual anymore but he could get one. But manuals only come in the two lowest trims... LX and Sport.
I said "if no one wants a manual transmission anymore what about that $35,000 Civic over there that you have priced over $40,000?"

LOL he stuttered out something like that's a unique performance car but most normal buyers want an automatic.

I just said "ok I guess I'm not normal, it seems crazy you have 35 or 40 civics out there and not one manual though".

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7098 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
^^^

Golf R is listed at 280ish hp and ft lbs. What model GTI do you have?

I have a 2016 GTI (with performance package and dynamic chassis control) with an APR Stage 1 ecu tune. The new/updated version of the low torque tune (that's at the crank per APR):

--------------------

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:

I concede your point about 'ring time times...but the Type R still bested them! Big Grin

If you believe this from Jalopnik: "Honda set the lap time with what they call a “pre-production model that was technically representative of production specification.” A floating roll cage was added for safety reasons, but Honda claims that the cage did not improve the rigidity of the frame. In order to compensate for the extra weight of the roll cage, Honda removed the rear seats and display audio system. The record-setting Type R was also outfitted with street-legal track focused tires. Honda declined to specify the actual tires used."

...it would seem that the Type R was "nearly production."

So a pre-prod motor (ringer motor), roll cage installed, and they wouldn’t tell you what tires they used? Big Grin. Hey if that justifies it to “you” it’s your money.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12637 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Golf GTI’s look good but that’s about it. A cousin of mine had his bought back by VW.

Not to mention, they lack the horsepower and modding them to get to the level of a type R you can kiss your factory warranty goodbye.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not to mention, they lack the horsepower and modding them to get to the level of a type R

100% Incorrect. Smile You might want to hang out in a GTI/R forum for a day and see the power these cars can make with the plethora of turbos available and endless fuel and tuning options.

--------------------

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DonDraper:
quote:
Not to mention, they lack the horsepower and modding them to get to the level of a type R

100% Incorrect. Smile You might want to hang out in a GTI/R forum for a day and see the power these cars can make with the plethora of turbos available and endless fuel and tuning options.

Plus, for the warranty conscious, there's a tuning company (APR?) that offers pretty much an OEM+ tune. It voids the VW warranty, sure, but APR matches the VW warranty with their own. So, you're still covered.

Posts: 15326 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:

DAMN! You could buy a nice hardly used Vette for that kind of money.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
$5,000 "market adjustment"

Find another dealer & report them to Honda.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Put some Type R stickers on a regular Civic. That's good for 30 hp, at least.

Posts: 27963 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
Put some Type R stickers on a regular Civic. That's good for 30 hp, at least.

Gotta include the red H badges too Big Grin

All kidding aside, it's definitely an impressive car, just has some polarizing attributes.

Picture of JohnCourage
posted Hide Post
quote:
No torque steer in the Type R. I’ve considered selling my Lightning to make room for one, but can’t bring myself to do it.

https://www.wired.com/story/ho...type-r-torque-steer/

I had a 1998 Integra Type R and that car handled really well. You could break it loose on hard corners and it would just slide and track. I miss that car. I can only imagine how good the modern Type R is.

JC

Posts: 1269 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post