SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My yearly business finance tracking thread
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My yearly business finance tracking thread Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
It seems it's become a yearly tradition that I come here to ask about what everyone uses for tracking business expenses. I've been a Quicken Home & Business user for many years. Mostly because it lets me track mileage and run schedule C tax reports.

My new invoicing system lets me track income and mileage so that's redundant. It also has Quickbooks online integration but I've not tried it.

So, what are you using for business finance/expenses/tax reports? Quicken gets quirky and the online account integration is just about the flakiest thing I've ever used (basically it's useless and takes hours to debug the downloads) so if something is better I'm all ears.

Posts: 45375 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been using Quickbooks for 20 years to run my business and happy with it.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
I've been using Quickbooks for 20 years to run my business and happy with it.
I tried it 12 years ago and it was way too complex for me. Quicken basically runs like a checkbook and is easier I use. Is Quickbooks all online now?

Posts: 45375 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
After struggling with the old DOS Peachtree Accounting, I switched to QuickBooks and never looked back. Taught my wife and now she uses an old copy to keep our family books.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
Excel, I got tired of Peachtree, Quick books and the others charging me every year so I stopped using them. Mileage is tracked via the Driversnote app and I give everything to my CPA in Excel.

Posts: 4114 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
Still using Quicken Home & Business as it has the reporting and bulk editing I require for tax purposes. Also, all of my stuff is in one place.

I wish I could find an online, cloud equivalent.

For mileage, it's pretty easy for me to track on a notebook in the car.

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 4990 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrvmax:
Excel, I got tired of Peachtree, Quick books and the others charging me every year so I stopped using them. Mileage is tracked via the Driversnote app and I give everything to my CPA in Excel.

Do you make a spreadsheet for each account with columns for date, transaction type, payee, category and amount? How do you handle reconciling at the end of the month?

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steve495:
Still using Quicken Home & Business as it has the reporting and bulk editing I require for tax purposes. Also, all of my stuff is in one place.

It seems to be the easiest for me to use. Especially since we also use it to track our personal accounts, too. It's just really, really, really bad at downloading from credit cards and my bank and getting things into the correct categories with human readable payee names. It's much easier to enter everything manually.

Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
quote:
Originally posted by steve495:

It seems to be the easiest for me to use. Especially since we also use it to track our personal accounts, too. It's just really, really, really bad at downloading from credit cards and my bank and getting things into the correct categories with human readable payee names. It's much easier to enter everything manually.

My bank and credit card connections are generally pretty good, but nowhere near perfect. I absolutely do go on there on a very regular basis (every couple of weeks) to "clean up" entries. Then at the end of the year I have to go in and bulk edit a lot of stuff. As an example, I need to ensure my payments to Amazon AWS are all named the same and in the right category. Not perfect, but generally works well.

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 4990 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I believe I've recommended MoneyDance before. It too, uses a checkbook-like entry and category/account management metaphor. Double-entry bookeeping behind it all. To address the download concerns, it is supposed to be "Quicken-compatible" using the same download protocol. I only know that it downloads transactions from my banks, credit cards, and brokerage accounts transparently. My experience is that the only hitches I have had have been on the vendor's end, e.g. downloading a specific transaction again, or with a mis-identified payee (one of my banks does this consistently). It allows auto-merging of manually-entered transactions that also come in on a download. Expense categorization is also automatic, usually it matches what was done for the last transaction in that account for the same payee. It is easy to recategorize, either individual transactions, or in a batch. Transactions can be marked as cleared and reconciling, these tags are used in the reconciling panel.

Free to try out (with the number of expense categories limited until you buy a license). Download from www.moneydance.com, runs on Windows, MacOS, and Linux, limited versions for iOS and Android. I do not have experience with the mobile versions so I don't know the extent of the limitations, but I think it is mostly omitting the extensive reports and graphs in the desktop version. One license ($50) allows running on all platforms.

I use it for my personal finance, including my small business consultancy. I suppose it could serve for business-only transactions, never really tried it. It is easy to create reports for specific periods that omit non-business-related data, e.g. for Schedule C entries, so I've never felt the need of it.

Posts: 6476 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
I use QuickBooks to tracks my son's business sales and expenses. I found it easy to use. There are reports available that I run and enter into Excel. Using Excel tools (pivot tables, formulas, etc), I can glean a lot of information from QB. QB also has a customer & vendor area where you could extract info from these databases. I like it!

Posts: 3399 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Do you make a spreadsheet for each account with columns for date, transaction type, payee, category and amount? How do you handle reconciling at the end of the month?

I have receipts on one tab (actually multiple tabs) and a main ledger on another. The ledger tab has several columns, total, cost, tax etc. I only have 20-30 customers a month so I have not really spent time adding formulas to the cells and getting fancy.

Posts: 4114 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just have a big Excel spreadsheet

Posts: 122 | Location: N. TX | Registered: June 22, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Any chance you cats using excel can show me how you've got it set up? Like maybe a screenshot?

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I have receipts on one tab (actually multiple tabs) and a main ledger on another. The ledger tab has several columns, total, cost, tax etc. I only have 20-30 customers a month so I have not really spent time adding formulas to the cells and getting fancy.

I got the file you sent me and replied but I'm not sure the reply went through as I received a DKIM failure message. My DKIM file is set correctly but for some reason one of the relays rejected it.

Thanks so much. I'll dig into it and see if it's what I need. I have the rest of this month to decide.

His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I'm an Excel wizard in both formulas and VBA programming.

But I use Quicken Home and Business. I connect it to my banks. It downloads the transactions for me. It reminds me of bills and payments to pay. I don't use the business part much as I just use it as a placeholder for other accounts I have.

It's the same reason why other people pay you to do what you do for them - it's more efficient than if they were to do it themselves instead of hiring you.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19664 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
I'm an Excel wizard in both formulas and VBA programming.

But I use Quicken Home and Business. I connect it to my banks. It downloads the transactions for me. It reminds me of bills and payments to pay. I don't use the business part much as I just use it as a placeholder for other accounts I have.

It's the same reason why other people pay you to do what you do for them - it's more efficient than if they were to do it themselves instead of hiring you.
This is my point for asking. I don't want to spend an extra minute, let alone hours, at the end of a long day figuring how to use a program and trying to figure why my accounts are screwed up.

I think I'm just going to go with the new version of Quicken Home and Business again.

His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is my point for asking. I don't want to spend an extra minute, let alone hours, at the end of a long day figuring how to use a program and trying to figure why my accounts are screwed up.

I think I'm just going to go with the new version of Quicken Home and Business again.

I'm glad my guidance help. During Thanksgiving weekend, Quicken business was $64 instead of $103. Maybe they'll have a sale for Christmas.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19664 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post