SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Life vest for kayaking while carrying
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Life vest for kayaking while carrying Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted
Throwing this out to the all knowing oracle of knowledge that is SigForum. My lady has gotten me into kayaking. Thoroughly enjoy it and see doing a lot more of it.

So I usually carry a Sig 5" XTEN in a chest holster. works great for staying out of the way and not interfering with paddling. The downside is accessing it with a life jacket on. The jacket fits over it, but trying to access it through the arm home of the life jacket isn't exactly quick or convenient, neither is unzipping the life jacket to access it.

So looking to get my own rather than borrowing like I have been. Want to stick with the chest holster rather than belt carry. I've had enough problems with belt carrying bear spray in a drop thigh holster catching on the edges of the cockpit entering and exiting the kayak.

So what says the all knowing oracle of knowledge that it SigForum?

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11898 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I spent 8 years kayaking every spring and early summer in Cali. Carrying a pistol on your person would not be ideal. You should learn how to roll the kayak, and danger from drowning is far greater than something you would need a pistol for.

It is hard enough to roll with a life jacket on, adding a pistol front or rear would make it more difficult. If I had to carry a pistol, I would attach a holster to the inside of the kayak. I would not leave a round in the chamber. Probably put it under the front deck, just in front of the cockpit.

Whether running rivers or in the ocean, the water is your greatest danger.

-c1steve

Posts: 4121 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
I've done a bit of kayaking and being invaded by pirates is the least of your concerns.

If you're insisting, on the very remote outside chance of yelling, "Prepare to repeal invaders!" it will be really odd to kayak wearing a gun in a holster in your vest. Most kayakers these day use inflatable PFDs that you activate with a compressed air cartridge. There's no room for much more but you can find some with pockets.

I've tried those bigger PFDs with multiple pockets and they are more for fisherman than true kayakers. They're not fun to kayak with.

You could put it in a dry bag near your seat or in one of the waterproof compartments but honestly, your greatest danger, by far, is from the water.

Posts: 4257 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RR
posted Hide Post
Heard from a friend that a P365 fits nicely in one of the pockets of a PRS vest. If you want that big 10mm though that’s a different story. Unless you want to try something like a Glock 29?

Posts: 492 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: October 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Just to clarify, we're kayaking on lakes, not running river rapids or ocean kayaking. Not carrying to repel pirates but more for when we get out of the boats. It's Alaska, it's remote and there are big brown furry creatures like bears and moose.

My lady gave a hard time the first time we went out of wearing my chest holster underneath my life jacket. Got to the opposite of the lake and hiked over to Knik Arm and saw fresh bear prints in the tidal mud. She looked at the tracks, looked at me and said, "I'll never give you shit about bringing that along ever again."

Posts: 11898 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
If you’re flat water kayaking, you can carry it pretty much anywhere it can be secured without fear of it falling into the drink. It does not have to be in the PFD itself. Flat water boats are very stable and not prone to flipping. Unless you’re in shallow water, bear or moose are unlikely to come after you.

If spending money isn’t an issue, look at an Astral Green Jacket. They have a fairly generous front accessible storage pocket. It is a type 5 pfd rated for white water and overkill for flat water but will accommodate a small pistol. Otherwise, I’d think any pfd with an appropriately sized front pocket will do the trick.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15863 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
I keep my pistol, wallet, and stuff in a dry box that is clipped into the hatch right in front of me. It will be kept dry if I roll but it is within reach if I need to get to it. If I stop and get out of the kayak it goes back on my body.

I don't worry about needing quick draw speed access when I’m on the kayak, the only thing that will be able to sneak up on me unseen is going to be a gator, and shooting one of those with my P365 is just going to piss it off.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3908 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redleg06
posted Hide Post
I kayak with an inflatable PFD over a Hill People runners chest pack. Not carrying a pistol but it works just fine for my camera/phone, small first aid kit, etc.

"Cedat Fortuna Peritis"

Posts: 2006 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Pelican box, Velcro it to right in front of you, carabiner and a bit of line for a lanyard. Gun is handy, not on you but w/I reach. If you spill the box and gun are still attached to you via the carabiner.

If you get off the boat you holster the gun on a chest rig you can wear under the PFD.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11486 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Look for a self-inflating or manual inflating PDF.

They are the least bothersome and interfering while wearing.

They should fit over a chest rig.

Mine is this one

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N...psc=1&language=en_US

Posts: 4789 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I wear the same HPG kit bag for Kayak fishing that I do for hiking, just replace the camping gear with fishing gear. I open up the straps a bit and it wears right on top of the vest. It's really handy to have replacement lures, pliers, etc. right up front where you can get at them easily. I've not found it to get in the way while paddling or fishing at all. In fact, the last time we went my son took my smaller kit bag that I use to run with because he liked the convenience that I was getting from mine.

The gun stays in the rear pouch just like any other time I'm wearing it. I have a medium-size "original" style bag, and the 69 fits with room to spare. The 329 is a bit tight but fits with my "custom" grips, and it's light enough that you barely notice it, especially if it's riding on the outside of a PFD. You could also just order the large bag that should fit pretty much any gun you want to stick in there.

Posts: 9302 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
Just to clarify, we're kayaking on lakes, not running river rapids or ocean kayaking. Not carrying to repel pirates but more for when we get out of the boats. It's Alaska, it's remote and there are big brown furry creatures like bears and moose.

When the wind comes up, lakes can build waves quickly. People die on Alaska lakes when in small boats. I would not kayak very far without learning how to roll. Having that ability makes you a better paddler, as you are more flexible in your maneuvers.

A dry box clipped to the inside of the boat would be best. Easy to access when you go on a hike.

July 2023:
https://apnews.com/article/ala...c9d04d438d0182e3461f
JUNEAU, Alaska (AP) — An Alaska man inadvertently filmed his own drowning on a glacial lake with a GoPro camera mounted on his helmet, but authorities who recovered the camera have not yet found his body, officials said Tuesday.

Alaska State Troopers said teams would continue to search Mendenhall Lake for the body of Paul Rodriguez Jr., 43, of Juneau.

Troopers said a helmet with a camera attached to it that was confirmed to have belonged to Rodriguez was recording on July 11 when his kayak overturned and he went into the water.

-c1steve

Posts: 4121 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
As Extraordinary
as Everyone Else
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
2000Z-71 are you kayaking in a sit inside kayak or a sit on top kayak?

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6482 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
2000Z-71 are you kayaking in a sit inside kayak or a sit on top kayak?

Sit inside.

posted Hide Post
Get an auto inflating life jacket is small and out of the way.....offshore is better and think they're 25% off at West Marine right now........

Posts: 21418 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
The downside to auto inflating life vests is that once they inflate, they are no longer small and comfortable. And you are stuck with it that way for the rest of the day unless you bring a reset kit with you.

I wear my auto inflating vest on the boat because if it does pop, I can take it off and have other regular vests onboard. On the kayak, I only have whatever one I am wearing.

Other states may be different, but in FL, an inflatable life vest only counts towards your required number of vests if it being worn.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3908 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
No help on the vest, but kayaking, I would think, is a made-to-order situation for a lanyard on the pistol.

Posts: 28756 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
could you do something like a plate carrier that goes over the lifejacket?

Heck cover the plate carrier in a pretty flowery patterned material to avoid looking like a big tough brute Wink

Posts: 3568 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What kind of kayak are we talking about and what kind of water are you traversing? If it's a sit-on-top the options are endless but if you are wearing a kayak with a skirt I can see the issue.

If you looking to strap to the life vest, get a disposable Glock, a lanyard and a Blackhawk holster or at least one with adjustable tension.

Posts: 598 | Location: Helena, AL | Registered: July 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Hey Z, I walked to Symphony Lake the other day, ever been there? It was a great hike, 5 miles in. I did see plenty of fish near the shoreline, season just opens July 1st.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/NBShDt...le.maps.preview.copy

Posts: 6435 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post