SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Texan shoots at man for pulling into his driveway
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Texan shoots at man for pulling into his driveway Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
deleted. Not a funny joke

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21238 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'll use the Red Key
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Ok, I thought this was some BS made up story, or more to it but the media trying to make the gun owner look bad (see we told you there are crazy gun owners). For some reason I searched to see if there was more - and appears there is a history here. Not just someone looking for a place to fish and a turn around in the driveway gone bad.

Seems that Charles (in car) is ex-husband of Michael's wife, and Charles has a history of threatening ex-wife. And while some may argue this doesn't give him the ok to shoot at him, I can understand the threat of this guy's past and him sitting outside the house. Odd one police report indicates Charles has guns and is a felon???? Maybe LEO can comment if these are real looking reports.

Plenty of news sites found with the video (and Charles story), but only an obscure thread found with "other" info. BS or?
https://scallywagandvagabond.c...g-into-his-driveway/

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3819 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Definitely makes the story more interesting than the video indicates, but I still don't see how shooting at the car could be justified. This shooter has some serious legal problems ahead.

Posts: 6084 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
And that's why the wait and see approach is so important. The "news" is nothing more than sensationalist drivel, worse than the Enquirer at this point.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7161 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2012BOSS302:
but the media trying to make the gun owner look bad (see we told you there are crazy gun owners). For some reason I searched to see if there was more - and appears there is a history here. Not just someone looking for a place to fish and a turn around in the driveway gone bad.

Thanks for posting the additional info. Brings a whole new light to the scenario.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17191 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
Thanks for posting the additional info. Brings a whole new light to the scenario.

Indeed it does. Another important reminder for me to both be skeptical and questioning when such incidents are posted.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
quote:

Indeed it does. Another important reminder for me to both be skeptical and questioning when such incidents are posted.

Even with the new data I don’t see anything in Texas law allowing him to fire at a vehicle driving off. The video doesn’t show all but unless I’m missing something he’s still in trouble.

Posts: 4231 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Truelock has been charged and indicted. He has a day in court coming.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG4EVA:
And that's why the wait and see approach is so important. The "news" is nothing more than sensationalist drivel, worse than the Enquirer at this point.

Indeed.
Along with social media, they make small things LARGE, and large thing small.
Perspective and opinion shaping thru the lens of minimization, distortion and outright omission.

All we know is this guy is agitated, threatens the driver and shoots at the vehicle.

Posts: 15083 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrvmax:
quote:
quote:

Even with the new data I don’t see anything in Texas law allowing him to fire at a vehicle driving off. The video doesn’t show all but unless I’m missing something he’s still in trouble.

While I agree that we don't have complete information or video that shows all the circumstances, the deputy's report indicates that Truelock asserts that Landers had a firearm on him. So, if the facts reported are true, we have an ex-spouse who allegedly made several previous threats, standing in your front yard, with a firearm on him, smelling of beer, claiming to be hunting.

By itself that may not be a threat worthy of lethal force, but it brings the possibility of circumstances warranting the use of lethal force much more believable.

But I'm waiting for the complete investigation before passing judgement.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
This is why one can't trust a damn thing he reads in the news. I should've known better. Nothing reported in the news ever gives the whole story or even half of it. And damn it, I got suckered into believing this one.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30952 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

While I agree that we don't have complete information or video that shows all the circumstances, the deputy's report indicates that Truelock asserts that Landers had a firearm on him. So, if the facts reported are true, we have an ex-spouse who allegedly made several previous threats, standing in your front yard, with a firearm on him, smelling of beer, claiming to be hunting.

By itself that may not be a threat worthy of lethal force, but it brings the possibility of circumstances warranting the use of lethal force much more believable.

No way to justify shooting at a threat driving away, if the guy had stolen property and that was the reason he could possibly get by by Texas. I see no way he can claim self defense against the threat driving off and that’s most likely why he was charged. Even with the few facts we have he’s screwed. That is why I stress to people to know the laws concerning self defense, it can be the difference between being free and prison.

Posts: 4231 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

No way to justify shooting at a threat driving away, if the guy had stolen property and that was the reason he could possibly get by by Texas. I see no way he can claim self defense against the threat driving off and that’s most likely why he was charged. Even with the few facts we have he’s screwed. That is why I stress to people to know the laws concerning self defense, it can be the difference between being free and prison.

Only the first page of the deputy's report is posted. We don't know if the video has been edited. I'm suggesting that there may be facts, such as Landers attempting to draw or present a firearm while driving, not currently in evidence, at least not in this thread.

The totality of new facts presented make the possibility more believable. I'm suggesting nothing more or less, and, as stated before, I'm waiting on all the facts to be presented from a complete investigation and trial, before passing judgement on what happened or if the actions were legally justified.

posted Hide Post
Certainly seems to be some important info left out of the first media report that puts this in a different light. Still, without more details to go on right now...there's no justification for shooting at him. Maybe more info will surface in favor of the shooter.

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Lotsa stupid with these folks. They sound like they are getting what they all deserve & desire - DRAMA.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Even before the other details were posted, just listening to the video cold, it sounded like there was some history there, not just a random guy who accidentally pulling into a stranger's driveway.

The shooter may have been reasonably justified up to the point of firing at the vehicle once the guy left the property. That's what got him screwed legally.

Posts: 2534 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
You’re right. When I watched it the first time I assumed the shooter was either under the influence of something or he knew the person filming and had a bad history with them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21238 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
That is why I stress to people to know the laws concerning self defense, it can be the difference between being free and prison.
Either that, or teach them what Truelove probably should have done in this particular case...Shoot...Shovel...Shut up.

Most importantly for all of us, this is yet another glowing example why all of us need to ignore the BS the media trots out there masquerading as news.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Does anyone deny that this guy shouldn't even have a firearm? In addition to his apparent mental issues, being locked up with no end in sight might play some part in his behavior. Leave it to his defense attorney to argue that.

Gotta wonder how many people will claim emotional distress and PTSD as a defense.

Posts: 11199 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
Does anyone deny that this guy shouldn't even have a firearm?

The guy in the car didn't rob him, didn't burglarize his home, didn't point a gun at him, and was trying to leave the property. All the new info notwithstanding, firing the gun like that is inexcusable, imo. As I said originally, take that gun away before moron kills someone.

Q

Posts: 27604 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post