SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    FYI: GMail Appears To Be Broken For IMAP At The Moment
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

FYI: GMail Appears To Be Broken For IMAP At The Moment Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
Started getting error pop-ups on my email client sometime early this afternoon. Web login is fine, but IMAP is still a no-go.

Sure enough: Gmail down? Current status and problems @Downdetector
quote:

2 June: Problems at Gmail
Gmail is having issues since 2:53 PM EDT. Are you also affected? Leave a message in the comments.

Glad I don't use it for anything other than what little Google/Alphabet stuff we still have. (A couple Android TV streamers. That's it.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
Happened to me too, but I just went to the Verizon store and, after a lot of trial and error, the guy said he thinks the latest iOS software version is messing with Gmail and that I'll need to download the Gmail app and use it until this gets fixed.

Posts: 3540 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
Happened to me too, but I just went to the Verizon store and, after a lot of trial and error, the guy said he thinks the latest iOS software version is messing with Gmail and that I'll need to download the Gmail app and use it until this gets fixed.

You gotta be careful what you believe you're told by somebody at a wireless company store.

It just so happens this has nothing at all to do with Apple or iOS. I'm using an open source email client on a Linux box.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sock Eating Golden
posted Hide Post
Oddly enough I just booted up Thunderbird and it is struggling to connect. Getting the data, but very slowly.

Since they recently fired our IT guy and decided that I no longer needed admin access to our company gmail account this is the PERFECT time to ruin some Sundays.

Nick

"I cannot imagine any condition which would cause a ship to founder. I cannot conceive of any vital disaster happening to this vessel. Modern shipbuilding has gone beyond that."
-Capt. Edward Smith

Posts: 5795 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
YouTube, Gmail & other Google services suffer outage in North America, parts of Europe

https://www.rt.com/news/460906...-down-north-america/

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13401 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine is slow, but working. Deep South, probably fewer internet users.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I was able to connect to gmail via the web browser version, but using an app to log in was not working.

I had a rather lengthy chat session with an Apple support guy; we thought it was a problem with Apple's mail app, but after some research we realized that it was a gmail problem.

It appears the the gmail function that handles the login procedure was DOA. Well, not completely dead, it was bouncing up and down like a Duncan yo-yo.

Problems existed for maybe three or four hours, everything seems to be back to normal now.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30677 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
This was apparently fixed by sometime Sunday evening.