SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Pens.. whats a good brand
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pens.. whats a good brand Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted
I really like how my Cross Gel writes, the nice dark ink, but the pen itself sucks. Its not consistent, often it doesn't write and I have to write over the half written letters. I tried a new ink refill and it didn't help. I have another Cross doing something similar.

What other brands are good for a higher end pen that aren't $200 but still give a premium writing experience?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10730 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I'm all about my Zebra pens.
F-402 and F-701 -- all day, every day.

I recently picked up a G-402, and so far I'm pretty happy with it as well. The newest F-701s seem to be improved over the previous ones, and they're all well below your stated price point.

Good luck in your search!

God bless America.

Posts: 13519 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I did the Zebra 701/402 "pen hack" about three years ago and got a pen that I've been happy with since then. This takes parts from each model to make a robust hybrid better than either of them, a web search will reveal a how-to. Combine with a space pen insert for a durable and comfortable pen for a pittance.

Posts: 6509 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Pelikan's are nice

Posts: 3735 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
I like the Retro Tornado. I use a Parker refill and they write smooth.

They are inexpensive and quite good quality.

Posts: 2833 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Zebra
Cheap, write nice on most surfaces & sharp enough to stab someone if necessary. short to fit in a pocket/notebook.
just looked, I'm using the F301 that I but in bulk at staples.

Posts: 3298 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lamy Safari or Zebra.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16120 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
My EDC pen is a SS Gerber that has a carbide glass breaker as well.
Comes with a write in rain ink cartridge.

My other pen is a CRKT aluminum body pen that can poke a hole in someones skull, it has a Space pen ink cartridge.
I believe both were in the $50 range

Posts: 1482 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really like my Ti2 Design TechLiner. You can pick your material, color, design and they all take a great refill that lasts a good amount of time and gives a selection of colors.

Enjoy,

Kevin

Posts: 130 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
When I was a cop I wanted a pen to replace the fancy cross pens in my uniform that were there for show. Especially after I damaged one I’d had since 9th grade.

I found a Zebra pen fit the deal and I replaced the plastic parts with another zebra model pieces...I saw it on a you tube video, the pen is all stainless now and I also hacked the fisher space pen ink cartridges so the pens write in the rain, upside down, etc...

https://medium.com/@schmutzie/...trument-bc2bf7c1e3c3

Edit because I found this updated Zebra
https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...26060686abc950f2babe

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MikeinNC,

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11303 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Pilot G2 Limited

I prefer th 10 refill or at least the 07 for the smoothest writing.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Oz_Shadow,

Posts: 17903 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Find the refill you like best, and then find a pen to fit that refill. Many people love the pilot g2 refills, and I do too. But overall I think the Schmidt p8126 refills are where it's at.

Those refills come standard in the retro 51 tornado pens, of which there are many cool varieties between $20-$50.

I've been eyeballing this one:

https://www.fahrneyspens.com/Item--i-18544

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Zebra 701s...they work great and you can do an emergency tracheotomy with them....ok not the medical procedure but they work well as an airline EDC Wink

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I have a few that have lasted for most of my lifetime. I never loose a pen that has meaning.

I have a Parker T-Ball Jotter that I bought before deployment to the Gulf in 1972. It has a brushed finish that has been smoothed while righting daily to my now wife. It lasted for years and has been retired.

I have a set of monogrammed Cross pen & pencil gifted to me by my staff in 1977. I used them for years before the chrome started flaking off. These were retired as I was getting chrome slivers.

I am retired now but have 2 company pens given to me when I joined the last bank I worked at. That was in 2003. I have both today. I’ve been through a number of refills on both.

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4241 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Zebra F301

--------------------

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Another Zebra guy here.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5967 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Pilot Razor Point or a Montblanc Meisterstuck with a Fineliner refill. Or I suppose any other pen that will take a MB fineliner.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10496 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fisher Space Pens; USA made in Boulder City, NV.
I've been very pleased with a number of them. Write at any angle, and any temp that I've been in.

Posts: 312 | Location: Nevada | Registered: May 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
Another fan of the Zebra hack. You CAN destroy them, but need to work at it pretty hard.

Runner-up is the Rotring 600. Same look, but the "barrel" is longer and thinner. Also, about 3-4 times the price... which is why I'm a fan of the Zebra.

Posts: 2471 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Parker is my preferred refill.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post