SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ford Ecoboost Owners, Am I the Last Guy to Learn...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ford Ecoboost Owners, Am I the Last Guy to Learn... Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted
that those engines, especially the earlier trucks produced before 2015, need an oil separator.

I’ve got a 2013 FX4 with the 3.5L Ecoboost. It’s got just under 90,000 miles and I still like it. I’m going to keep it, so I’m putting some money in it so that, hopefully, it goes another 100,000.

I ordered a set of Bilstein shocks for it. It’s got new tires, and I have a shop lined up to perform a 100k service on it. I also have an appointment at a detail shop to have a paint correction and ceramic coating put on the truck.

Now, to get to the point of my post. I did some research to see if there’s anything else I should do and discovered that the PCV part of emissions control is a flaw in the design of the system.

Just in case you didn’t know...incomplete combustion produces a small amount of gas mixture that’s not expelled through the exhaust. That blow-by is pulled down past the rings and into the crankcase. The Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) system takes that blow-by and re-injects it into the intake to be burned once again. Unfortunately, this blow-by is contaminated with oil from the crankcase. It is even less likely to burn completely. Over time both the intake and (especially bad) the back side of the valves are gunked up with this oily sludge, called “valve coking.” An oil separator goes between the PCV and the intake. It captures those oily fluids and dumps it into a can for disposal. There are numerous videos about this, and like I asked, am I the last guy to hear about this?

I ordered the same JLT 3.0 oil separator that this guy installed in this video. BTW, these oil separators are available for later EcoBoost engines, in spite of the fact that this guy seems to say the problem was addressed. Oil separators are also available for the 5.0 engine. I don’t know about other makes.

Posts: 13157 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 2015 Explorer with the 3.5 EB. I bought the JLT 3.0 and when I went to install it there was hardly any oily residue in the OEM line. Maybe I didn't need it but it is on there anyway.

Posts: 868 | Location: Alabama | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Twist
posted Hide Post
It’s not just these engines, or Ford.

I put one on my 2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi. Could not believe how much blow by there was at first.

After about 30k miles, it drastically lessened but holy crap it was ridiculous until around then. I’ll put one on any news vehicle I buy from now on just from that experience. It’s a small price to pay.

Posts: 1931 | Location: NOT Houston, Tx (Thank God), but in the area. | Registered: May 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK I'm a bit of a skeptic. We have had PCV valves literally for 5+ decades. Zillions and zillions of miles have been done without any add on stuff. On modern Fseries trucks trillions and trillions of miles have all been done without any add on parts and nobody has established its a barrier to long life. Add whatever makes you feel better, but that's what it is.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Gasoline direct injection engines are prone to valve coking. With port fuel injection, the fuel spray washes down the intake port and valve, but a GDI cannot. I recently repaired a Mazda 3 with this problem - manifested as a miss, especially when cold, due to the intake valves sticking and not closing properly - by running intake cleaner through it. I almost had to flood the engine with the stuff, on the borderline of hydro-lock, but it did eventually burn it off and smooth out. The TSB (technical service bulletin) for that car actually wants you to remove the intake manifold and manually chip the shit off the valves. I agree that these engines could use better crankcase ventilation. Too many, if they even have a PCV valve or oil separator at all, put them in absurdly difficult locations.

Posts: 27814 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I own a truck with a Diesel engine. The PCV system was a wreck, leaving oil and crap all over the turbo and throughout the Inter cooler (boost) tubes and boots. Since I rerouted it, there’s no more sludge/oil build up around the turbo and the boots (especially on the hot side) no longer drip. Once a year it’s got to be put back to factory to pass smog, but is an easy fix.

I wish I lived somewhere else so I could get rid of the EGR and cooler. My poor motor has 220,000 miles of shit built up that is just so bad for it!

Posts: 246 | Location: Damn it's hot! | Registered: September 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I would not take the route you are going. I would dump it and let it be someone else's headache and money pit going forward. I know not what you are wanting to hear, but.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19101 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
I would not take the route you are going. I would dump it and let it be someone else's headache and money pit going forward. I know not what you are wanting to hear, but.

I appreciate that, but I was just at the Ford dealership a few days ago. A truck comparable to mine is $60k. For most of our married life, the pickup truck was our primary family transportation. Accordingly, I’ve had a crew cab since 1999, and a club cab (I think that’s what they call a stretch cab since ‘93). The truck doesn’t have to be our “be all” anymore. I will always have a full-sized pickup, but it doesn’t need to be new and in warranty.

I do like this truck and I’m confident I could still drive it anywhere in the country. I bought it new, and I know the care it’s had. If things start going wrong, I’ll change course.

Posts: 13157 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
The new ones are MPFI, older ones and my '19 2.7 are direct injection. All direct injection engines should have one, especially turboed ones. Going to get the JLT as well it's a lot cheaper than the Tracey Lewis ones and a lot easier to install.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20746 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:

I appreciate that, but I was just at the Ford dealership a few days ago. A truck comparable to mine is $60k. For most of our married life, the pickup truck was our primary family transportation. Accordingly, I’ve had a crew cab since 1999, and a club cab (I think that’s what they call a stretch cab since ‘93). The truck doesn’t have to be our “be all” anymore. I will always have a full-sized pickup, but it doesn’t need to be new and in warranty.

I do like this truck and I’m confident I could still drive it anywhere in the country. I bought it new, and I know the care it’s had. If things start going wrong, I’ll change course.

That thing has plenty of life left. My buddy had a 2011 eco boost and he sold it with 225k miles on it and the only issues he had was a couple coil packs, which is pretty normal for fords including the v8. I have had 2 eco boost trucks so far and love them. No issues for me, but I don’t put a ton of miles on them either.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post