SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    what ever happened to Glass pack exhausts?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

what ever happened to Glass pack exhausts? Login/Join 
Lucky to be Irish
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M1Garandy:
quote:
Originally posted by OldMick:
I loved ‘em.

As a kid, Took my new ‘66 Mustang to a muffler shop in Chicago (I think near Harlem and Irving) and they installed dual exhaust, glass packs and cutouts in my 289 2bbl.

Then found a 4 bbl, added Monroe air shocks, mags on front, 6” deep dish chrome reverse on the rear, motorola stereo with reverb. Stewart-Warner tach on the steering column and a four speed to replace the three speed. Then a Hurst shifter and I was pretty much done.

Great sound.

I wonder if that was Iggy's on Montrose just west of Harlem? They have been there since '67 and are still going.

I can’t recall the name. Definitely high volume and popular, so it may well be.

Posts: 1770 | Location: Mason, OH | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:...

Yup, but I like their old logo better. Wink

Not Thrush logo. Thrush never had the cigar.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44441 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
Close, but no cigar. my 455 rocket olds Delta 88 had lakers, but no glasspacs. It was a sleeper, until it wasn't. this was the 70 era.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They still exist but it isn't super obvious. Corsa, Magnaflow, Borla, Gibson and others use fiber-packed mufflers. May not be the old materials but same principal.

Posts: 2219 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:

That’s Mr Horsepower, cartoon mascot and logo of Clay Smith Cams. Always has a cigar or something in mouth.

Posts: 6960 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep, Clay Smith cams. Pep Boys still uses the Manny, Moe and Jack logo but Jack lost his cigar awhile back. Political correctness.

Posts: 2560 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have them currently on my 59’Impala. Work just fine and they’ve been on for 25 plus years.

P229

Posts: 3943 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
I had Cherry Bomb style glass-packs installed on a '68 Camaro I had in college (early 1980's).
They were always great until about 2.5 hours into the trip between Franklin, TN & Auburn, AL (or vice versa)...

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I still like glass packs, but I prefer straight pipes. I also like flowmasters a lot.

Posts: 255 | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OldMick:
I loved ‘em.

As a kid, Took my new ‘66 Mustang to a muffler shop in Chicago (I think near Harlem and Irving) and they installed dual exhaust, glass packs and cutouts in my 289 2bbl.

Then found a 4 bbl, added Monroe air shocks, mags on front, 6” deep dish chrome reverse on the rear, motorola stereo with reverb. Stewart-Warner tach on the steering column and a four speed to replace the three speed. Then a Hurst shifter and I was pretty much done.

Great sound.
Harlem & Irving, ah yes. I went to Ridgewood High School, lived near Lawrence & Cumberland.

Posts: 4055 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not trying to rain on anyone's parade -- but back in the day (1970's) my brother and I daily drove a fenderless '32 Ford five window coupe with a 350 CID,350+ HP Chevy engine. It weighed only 2405 lbs. and had very quiet mufflers. No glasspaks required. This car was a "cop magnet"!

Occasionally some "squirrel" would ask, "why don't ya put some loud mufflers on that hot rod"?

We always replied, "If you actually got a fast car, ya don't need noise"!

------------------------------------------------------------
"I have resolved to fight as long as Marse Robert has a corporal's guard, or until he says give up. He is the man I shall follow or die in the attempt."

Feb. 27, 1865 Letter by Sgt. Henry P. Fortson 'B' Co. 31st GA Vol. Inf.

Posts: 1232 | Location: Coastal NC | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lucky to be Irish
posted Hide Post
quote:

We always replied, "If you actually got a fast car, ya don't need noise"!

True enough.

I knew my car wasn't "fast". Not a big block, no cam or heads etc. I just liked the way it looked and sounded. My very best times were mid 14s in the quarter, usually late 14s. But I loved it to death and it was a lot of fun to own.

I went to High School with a kid named Tony Christian, same graduating class. Now his red '57 Chevy was FAST. So much so, he made a career out of it.

Posts: 1770 | Location: Mason, OH | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 1973 Cutlass had cherry bombs on it, then my 73 Bronco had some brand of glass packs I cant remember but damn that truck was loud! 302 never sounded so good.

My best friend lived across the street and would curs me every weekend as I would leave for work a 6:30am and wake him up as the old 302 would warm up without a functioning choke.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
I think they became fart cans on Honda Civics and Subaru WRX's.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11882 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I'm not saying I'm that hooligan. Well, I guess I am.

Happily the wife was more than agreeable to us to add this to the '08 M3 shortly after we got it. Pretty loud on a cold start but otherwise won't scare the neighbors unless you're going way to fast for the area!

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVM6fWjNVEk

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12662 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
How it all starts.... and magnifies!

Posts: 4444 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My first car in H.S. was a ‘64 Ford Falcon Futura Sprint. It had a 260 v8. About as economical a “muscle car” as was available.
A fun 2 door that got 25 mpg. Factory 4 on the floor.

Think I put a Thrush muffler on it. Remember when I installed it you could look right through it. A few baffles, no “pack”. I loved the sound, even out of the little v8. My girlfriends father - not so much. “So Chris, when are you going to get that muffler fixed?”

Good memories.

Posts: 2157 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wishbone
posted Hide Post

Posts: 946 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
My dad had a ‘69 Buick LeSabre that had dual glasspacks. He wasn’t the original owner, but it was a sweet ride. IIRC it had a 350 Buick motor. I was planning to buy it from him, but as a young SSgt with a new baby I couldn’t really justify the expense at the time. I wish I had it now, though! That car sounded like muscle but looked like a Grandpa car. Surprised a few folks at red lights, too. Wink

Last February I put a cat-back dual exhaust with a Flowmaster Super 10 muffler on my 2012 Silverado. It sounds awesome — not at all raspy. Yes, it’s a little loud, but I’m careful not to rev it up it in my neighborhood especially when I leave for work at 0430 hrs (I like my neighbors). I’ve always wanted a vehicle with dual exhaust and that low, throaty rumble, and now I have it. I keep telling my wife I need to put a Flowmaster Super 50 on her Acadia Denali but she’s not having any of it...

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1731 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Muddflap:
Back in olden times, my favorites were Walker Continental.
Those were the blue ones? I had some Walker Royal Scots (the red ones) on my first vehicle. IIRC, the Royal Scots were a little less costly than Continentals.

Posts: 5784 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post