SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    what ever happened to Glass pack exhausts?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

what ever happened to Glass pack exhausts? Login/Join 
posted
As a freshman in H.S. I remember that a dozen seniors gad cars, and three of those guys went out and put "glass packs " (cherry bombs ?)
on their cars.

they always brought smiles to many faces as they made them roar.

but only a year later no one had'em

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55165 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Emissions laws and noise ordinances would be my guess. Government ruining everyone's fun.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2783 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LimaCharlie
posted Hide Post
Now, they are usually Cat-Back systems for sound effect. You have to leave the catalytic converters installed or replace the headers, catalytic converters, and exhaust.

U.S. Army, Retired

Posts: 3725 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: June 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
So much better than Flowmasters. I hate the sound of those.

My 67 Pontiac has some turbo mufflers, I even forget who made them. Been on there for probably six or seven years.
The Buick will probably get some glass packs on it with full tailpipes when I get back into that project next spring.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8364 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
and I wonder if they make them specifically for individual motors ?

or are 1974 chevy 350 c.i. motors exhausting the exact same way as a 2017 chevy truck motor ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55165 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
So much better than Flowmasters. I hate the sound of those.

My 67 Pontiac has some turbo mufflers, I even forget who made them. Been on there for probably six or seven years.
The Buick will probably get some glass packs on it with full tailpipes when I get back into that project next spring.

I like the Dynamax. They do not have that raspy sound that Flowmasters have.

This is my '64 with the nailhead.

I'm going to put the same mufflers on the big block that is going in my '68 Skylark.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44441 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfe 21:
Emissions laws and noise ordinances would be my guess. Government ruining everyone's fun.

Mufflers only deal with the sound, nothing to do with emissions.
I imagine newer better insulating materials have come about since the glass packs.

Posts: 23186 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
My present to myself this year is going to be exhaust for my car. Add a little sound to it with out being annoying. Also shaves 16lbs off the weight of the car, so I can say it's a green mod to improve its MPG.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21103 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
My first car had a glass pack (‘71 Duster slant 6) and it sounded like a tractor. Smile You can still get them, they’re just not as popular as they were 30 years ago.

Everyone nowadays uses cat back systems or some type of turbo muffler.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 4011 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lucky to be Irish
posted Hide Post
I loved ‘em.

As a kid, Took my new ‘66 Mustang to a muffler shop in Chicago (I think near Harlem and Irving) and they installed dual exhaust, glass packs and cutouts in my 289 2bbl.

Then found a 4 bbl, added Monroe air shocks, mags on front, 6” deep dish chrome reverse on the rear, motorola stereo with reverb. Stewart-Warner tach on the steering column and a four speed to replace the three speed. Then a Hurst shifter and I was pretty much done.

Great sound.

Posts: 1770 | Location: Mason, OH | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
Back in olden times, my favorites were Walker Continental.

Posts: 3266 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
There's a pair in my garage right now. They belong to DF#2. They are scheduled to be installed on his truck someday. That truck is sitting in the gravel driveway with DF#3's truck project. I suspect their project trucks are space invaders....

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29903 | Location: Norris Lake, TN | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
My 1966 Mustang has dual glasspacks--burned out. They sound awesome! (The car is exempt from local ordinances affecting exhaust systems.)

flashguy

This message has been edited. Last edited by: flashguy,

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am sure that I can find 2-3 of them in my "muffler stash".

Posts: 6707 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
They don't sound nearly as good on 4 and 6 cylinders for one thing, so that's part of it. They don't last all that long, and modern cars put out so much water the packing must stay soaked.

But I've bought several in recent years, often shorter ones to put in line as a resonator to cut out drone. I have a weird thing with experimenting with mufflers, combinations of type to change the sound. Right now my small SUV a single chamber Flowmaster type with what is basically a fat glasspack right behind it.

Posts: 21337 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:
Originally posted by wolfe 21:

Mufflers only deal with the sound, nothing to do with emissions.
I imagine newer better insulating materials have come about since the glass packs.
The mufflers don't deal with emissions, but catalytic converters do, and they definitely have an effect (detrimental, for this discussion) on the exhaust note. There are some cats that allow more sound, but they still smoothe out the sound too much for my enjoyment--I want the exhaust to THUD!

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I had a 65 Plymouth Sports Fury with a 383. I had Midas put on dual exhaust with glass packs. It sure sounded good. I gave it to my brother when I went to Vietnam. When I got back, my dad bought me a new Plymouth 4 door as I was now a family man.

Posts: 5677 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
Thrush is still around and they’re still producing glasspacks.

http://www.thrushexhaust.com/m...h-glasspack-muffler/

Posts: 6960 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OldMick:
I loved ‘em.

As a kid, Took my new ‘66 Mustang to a muffler shop in Chicago (I think near Harlem and Irving) and they installed dual exhaust, glass packs and cutouts in my 289 2bbl.

Then found a 4 bbl, added Monroe air shocks, mags on front, 6” deep dish chrome reverse on the rear, motorola stereo with reverb. Stewart-Warner tach on the steering column and a four speed to replace the three speed. Then a Hurst shifter and I was pretty much done.

Great sound.

I wonder if that was Iggy's on Montrose just west of Harlem? They have been there since '67 and are still going.

Posts: 944 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P210:
Thrush is still around and they’re still producing glasspacks.

Yup, but I like their old logo better. Wink

Posts: 9401 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post