SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Astonishing (To Me) Wasp Remediation
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Astonishing (To Me) Wasp Remediation Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
My next-door-neighbor to one side just executed the most astonishing wasp remediation I've ever seen.

Had a wasp nest about half again as big as a football about ten feet up in a tree next to our patio.

He rigged a wire snare to a long pole, a line running down, got the opening of a garbage bag around the loop of the snare, stuck the thing up in our tree, got it around the top of the nest, yanked the snare closed, and pulled the whole thing down.

Then ran like hell with pole, bag, nest and all

Wish I'd thought to video it. It was definitely YouTube-worthy Smile

The only one who got stung was me, once, on my shoulder, standing there looking at where the nest had been, several minutes after the nest was taken down. (The bastard - *SWAT* - is dead.)

The wasps in that bag are not happy. Bag's buzzing like a saw and you can see 'em bouncing off the sides.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What next? Gasoline, explosives, or just put it out at the curb for the garbage guy??

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I've taken care of a number of wasp nests in the past and would never think of doing that. No way, no how. I always use a long spraying wasp killer and use it at night. No drama that way. Eek

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
He used to do forestry work in the wilds of Canada. He says that's the way they took out wasp nests all the time.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He needs to market that system and sell it to Lori Greenuer on Shark Tank.

The Nest Arrest,

Only $39.99
But wait there's more

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54644 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
I usually hang a brown paper bag near them or a bee hive. To them it looks like a hornet nest, and they all leave. Guess hornets are not good neighbors.

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
was he planning on saving the nest?

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
That is why you NEED one of these.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2387 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
He used to do forestry work in the wilds of Canada. He says that's the way they took out wasp nests all the time.

^^^^^^
That matches up with the Canadians I know. There were a bunch down here when we had professional hockey. It fits with their thinking.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Is there any BLM or Antifa marches happening in the next few days?

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31443 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Took out a nest of paperwasps on a hangar door the other night. That long range spray is the bomb. Smile

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My only apparent accomplishment in life is being banned from an ancient forum
posted Hide Post
Ahh wasps. My 9 year was stung for the first time last weekend. Kid didn't even swell up. How lucky is that?

Posts: 166 | Location: Washington State | Registered: December 13, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:

Big Grin Big Grin

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Green Highlander:
That is why you NEED one of these.

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4y0mKdNzdxc" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

Hmmmm how to justify $650.00 for a wasp killer!! When we have no wasp.

Posts: 4411 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I found this hornet's nest on my back porch Friday when I was investigating why there was a full hummingbird feeder.

It's now dead as a hookers dreams.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
I've taken care of a number of wasp nests in the past and would never think of doing that. No way, no how. I always use a long spraying wasp killer and use it at night. No drama that way. Eek

Jim

This! Have done the same.

Posts: 1010 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: October 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340: