SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Best.Damn.Dumb.Dog.Ever!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best.Damn.Dumb.Dog.Ever! Login/Join 
Shoots Flies
at Fifty Yards!
Picture of SuhlShooter
posted

The three musketeers are together again...

Rocky made it to 15 years, give or take a month. I found him at the local pound. I was window shopping. Not really serious, but we had lost our previous dog a few weeks earlier, and we knew it was time to find another one for the family.

When I went into the room that had all the cages with the dogs that were available, they all were barking and jumping up on the front of their cages. There was one dog that just watched. He was not barking, or jumping, but watching. He seemed to be paying attention to what was going on and who was there.

Long story short, I went back and got him later the next day. He was a Shepard mix, maybe with Rottweiler. He had the coloring and markings.

Rocky was joined by Apollo (Yellow English Lab) three months later. Boy were they different! Apollo seemed smart, quick to learn, played games, etc. Rocky did not. He had no idea what to do with a ball. Did not understand the concept of catching popcorn. I could not get him to stay, or come with much success.

What Rocky could do was run and jump! He was fast! It was fun watching him run. When we had our son’s dogs over for a week, he could run circles around them.

But his special skill was jumping. Our house’s back door opened into our kitchen. We placed baby gates in the two doorways to the rest of the house to make a impromptu mud room. Rocky jumped the gates with ease. Luckily I had installed 5 foot chain link fencing in the backyard. He did not know he could easily clear them if he tried. He was more interested in squeezing thru any weak points in the fence gates or other areas of similar openings. Then he loved to travel the neighborhoods till I found him. The bad thing is he would take along Apollo, and any other dog we had at the time. He was a true escape artist.

Rocky never really enjoyed hugs or petting, but at the end he seemed to turn into a regular dog. He loved begging for food, actual hugs and everything.

I will miss him. I miss all the dogs that have shared my life with theirs. There has been a long list. My family has used the same vet office since 1961. When I go there, I can see the ghosts of each one that has passed in the exam rooms. I don’t know what will happen when my time is up. Will I see my furry friends waiting for me? All tears are supposed to be wiped away. Will my pack greet me?

Dogs are special. They love us without condition. We see ourselves in them. Birth, youthfulness, adulthood, and the ravages of old age. All at a faster pace than that of our own. I believe that God has given dogs to us as a special gift. They force us to be a better version of ourselves, to consider our place in the world. We have to give of ourselves to them, take care of them, provide for them, make the hard decisions for them.

We get back so much more!

Posts: 3028 | Location: Hit the ground running in Moultrie, GA | Registered: July 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Condolences on the loss of your pal

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Heaven has got to be a big, big place. When you figure that about 100 billion people have walked the earth - according to the wiki. I have owned about 10 dogs in my life.

I believe you’ll be with your buddies as I will be with my buddies, etc. That’s a bunch of buddies.

Just a rambling thought.
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
My condolences on the loss of your buddy Frown

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Seriously sorry to hear you lost your friend. I’m glad you had many years with him. He sounded like a fun companion, getting the other ones in trouble.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So sorry to hear about the loss of your dog.

A wise man said, when our dog leaves us, he takes a piece of our heart with him, but leaves a piece of his heart. Eventually, when our race is run, we will have more pieces of dog's hearts than our own. Somehow, I think that would be okay.

We have presently an escape artist, though age has slowed her down considerably. First thing she does is run a perimeter seeking any hole or weak spot.

There are those of us on this board that know of the Rainbow Bridge and I would hope it is true.

Posts: 781 | Location: KC Metro MO | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry about your loss....

ARman

Posts: 3151 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing the story,sorry about Rocky.
BTW I have the spitting image of Rocky.
he meets most of Rocky's habits but wants petting all the time.

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about Rocky. Our late Bud & Wendy will be welcoming Rocky on the other side of the Rainbow Bridge.

Posts: 3723 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
Dogs are truly man’s best friends, sorry for your loss.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4835 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing your time with Rocky and friends.

Posts: 1616 | Location: Simpsonville SC | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your loss.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24115 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
That's a nice story. It really is true about each dog having their own personality. Sorry for your loss.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19663 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry about Rocky.

If dogs don’t go to heaven, I WANT TO GOWHERE THEY GO.

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArLEOret:
Sorry about Rocky.

If dogs don’t go to heaven, I WANT TO GOWHERE THEY GO.

THIS! Sorry for your loss. Dogs are amazing wonderful creatures. I could not imagine life without them.

Posts: 1772 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry for your loss. Three years ago yesterday I lost my Scarlett O'Hara, a Staffordshire Terrier that we adopted from a rescue on Halloween 2003.

I truly miss my girl, they are all unique.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8103 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Condolences...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Heaven has got to be a big, big place. When you figure that about 100 billion people have walked the earth
I'm not sure all of these people are in Heaven, but it is a cinch that all the dogs are there!

Posts: 6470 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear of your loss.

Posts: 5694 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
You have my sincere condolences. It's so hard to see them go.

I resolutely believe all dogs go to heaven, and you'll see all your fuzzy buddies again one day.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post