SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I grow tired. Of many things, prime among them, the internet.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I grow tired. Of many things, prime among them, the internet. Login/Join 
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
To me the internet is like a Buffet. Go down the line and chose what you desire and pass by what you don't want.

When I started college I spent 1 day on the weekend going to the library to do my research. By the time I graduated, I seldom needed to go and got more information online that I could ever find.

I agree with a lot of what Arc has said, but on some points disagree. No need picking his post apart, we all don't have to agree 100% on anything. There were times when I dropped Social Media as it only pissed me off with the extreme left and right views of some people.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4016 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I very much see where you are coming from and what you are saying. But that is only part of the Internet and I generally choose not to partake.
My days are spent here and vehicle forums mainly. I do my best to stay out of the political threads. I prefer to talk substance that help me learn or help others with info they may need.

quote:
If you are actually for personal freedom, whether someone goes to hell or not shouldn't trouble you.

I can’t say I agree with this. I am all about personal freedom but it also troubles or saddens me when I see people, make what I consider poor decisions, that likely will have a negative outcome in the end.
That does not mean I need to go forcing my opinions on them or telling them they are wrong and should change their ways. And dependent upon what their choices are does not necessarily mean I will write that person off.

You happen to not believe in God. I happen to be a Christian so not only do I believe in God but expand that out to believing in Jesus Christ being the son of God, and in the Holy Spirit.

I think no less of you as a person and from the what you post seem to be quite a solid person and respect many of your posts and the invisible friend that you are since we have never actually met.

So if you choose to check off the internet hopefully you’ll keep your email address as if I am ever around your way I’d like to shoot you a line a buy you lunch.
Same goes if you are around KY shoot me a line and the offer is the same.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25431 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:

I grew up old school New England, which is very much "Leave me the fuck alone and I leave you the fuck alone," than the current liberal elite shit that NE MA peddles.

I grew up in old school CA. I remember it was straight out of the Brady Bunch. I remember it was not too long ago, before the latest leftist onslaught in Sacramento, CA had 16 years of George Deukmejian and Pete Wilson in the governor's mansion. And shortly before them, 8 years of Ronald Reagan. Those times are gone, and will never return. In the last 10 years, CA has accelerated to a race to the very bottom. Thank God my son turned out to be an anti-SJW, he would be basically a good addition to this forum. But I could not see raising him in current CA.

Since leaving my former state, my daily stress, aggravations, anger of normal everyday living, disappeared. When I visit CA for business, my friends and clients tell me that they see a remarkable change in me, that I'm happier, smiling more, and a cloud of stress gone. Maybe a change in locale might be a solution for you and your family. Moving for perhaps a better life for one's family is old as the caveman.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16710 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I grew up old school New England, which is very much "Leave me the fuck alone and I leave you the fuck alone," than the current liberal elite shit that NE MA peddles.

That line made me think of oddball's Cut: Get Off My Lawn Big Grin

There is too much hate and vitriol spread on the internet. People don't usually talk that way when they are face-to-face with a person.

quote:
I can't be on the Left, because I do not wish to be ruled. Currently, I can't be on the Right, because I don't believe in God, and my ideas of personal freedom are just a touch too free.

Despite our differences with respect to a belief in a Creator... I generally agree. I respect your views. I wouldn't seek to impose mine.
And yes, my ideas of personal freedom are just a touch too free. Government has become far too consuming, too big to allow us to be free and just left alone.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24141 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
I think the internet is probably one of the greatest things ever invented, but also one of the worst. Since the internet is so vast its impact is as varied as the things you can find on it.

As others have mentioned, you can find any information you need at the drop of a hat. You can connect instantly with pretty much anyone in the world, among other things.

Where we see the issue is that it, in particularly social media, give a platform to any idiot with an opinion. Now social media can be great, I mean, look at this website. Like it or not this website is social media. Not trying to fluff anyone up but what other website can you go to, post a question about almost anything and get an actual answer from someone who legitimately knows the field that you're referring to. From all ranges of medicine, to automotive, to construction and more. You'd have to join probably 30 different forums to get answers to questions that can simply be answered by posting in the lounge. And while conversations can get heated from time to time, members do a fairly good job at self moderating to keep this place respectful and welcoming.

Out of all the social media sites, twitter is probably the worst. You can be as anonymous as you want, and it's sole purpose is just to throw out random thoughts. You can post some pictures, but not enough where you'd post an album from your wedding or vacation. It's literally just a place to spout opinions, and allow those opinions to be shared 1000x over by people who agree. At least facebook, for all it's faults gives you more of a connection with people and businesses/pages.

Posts: 6351 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Activist Athiests" are Cunts. Trying to convince someone there isn't a god, is as fruitful as convincing someone there is one, and the eyewitness accounts don't hold up in court.

I don't care if you believe in god, your integrity in dealing with fellow humans is what is important.

Arc.

Nail meet hammer. Michael Savage doesn't say much worth listening to but he said something years ago that stuck with me. He said "The Atheist who treats his fellow man the right way simply because he knows it is the right thing to do is far ahead of the Christian who does it because he fears some retribution in the after life." It's stating the obvious I know but when I heard it spoken it stuck.

I'm not a big fan of the new human nature that's been formed digitally. I think smart phones and social media which pretty much are the internet are the scourge. Real human interaction is pretty much a thing of the past. Body language, facial expressions and voice inflections have been replaced with bad spelling and emoji's.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8535 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:
No disrespect... But I'm missing something friend...

What are you trying to say?

I got halfway there, but then i was lost again.

"Oh Arc, you've been rambling"

I don't think we are supposed to know. Confused

Posts: 22925 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
“A man can be himself only so long as he is alone; and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom; for it is only when he is alone that he is really free.”
— Arthur Schopenhauer

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grapes of Wrath
Picture of Wino
posted Hide Post
Dear Arc,

The Internet is an amazing piece of technology.

Many humans are shitheads, and there are many people using the Internet.

Remember... guns don't kill people, people kill the Internet.

Read more books.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
To put a finer point on it, I'm not "blaming the internet," but it is a lament of sorts.

How do we get smarter? How do we test ideas? We do that by exposing them to others, and sharpening them through that interaction that shows the weakness of an idea, hopefully.

This is a slow progression towards greater knowledge, and truth. Ideally, but the well can be poisoned either without ones knowledge, or more likely today, with ones consent due to the ease social media brings to shaping ones own social sphere.

If everyone agrees with you, have you found truth, or just partisans? If you have found something that sounds like truth, such that you stop searching, is that really truth or have you just found a box comfortable enough?

Freedom is something that must be constantly pursued and maintained, so with truth and knowledge. A rolling stone, if you aren't engaged like Sisyphus pushing that rock, then you stagnate and die.

It seems to me that there are fewer and fewer places on the net, and in real life, where there is open exchange of ideas. Human nature means we will seek to put everything in a box, because we must order our world to understand it.

How do you know you aren't in a box, if you can't see the edges?

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
"The Internet" is, essentially, a library, at least from an informational access point of view.

There are good reasons libraries have signs on the wall: "Quiet!"

Posts: 6490 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
My thoughts to your point Arc are that I don't believe us humans were ready for the degree of which the internet smashed every culture of the world together in such a short time. Our natural progression as a species has now been synthesized.

Posts: 10850 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
One of JALLEN's favorite quotes comes to mind:

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

This is why I think small government shouldn't be a left-right paradigm. It's a freedom issue as well as a cultural issue.

-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24141 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
I care about the truth. Facts helps me to take an informed position which makes sense for me. Making sense of it all is a tricky and very human part of it all. It has always been so.

What offends me is the willingness to blur right from wrong, weaken character, reduce personal responsibility, and think there are not consequences for actions outside of civility. It has been difficult to grow old and watch, read, and listen to how many social attributes are grotesquely stretched under the guise of acceptance or tolerance.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2009 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:

It seems to me that there are fewer and fewer places on the net, and in real life, where there is open exchange of ideas. Human nature means we will seek to put everything in a box, because we must order our world to understand it.

How do you know you aren't in a box, if you can't see the edges?

I would disagree that there are fewer places on the Net for an open exchange of ideas. The whole internet is the open and wild market place of ideas. A prime example is the Covington students. At another time, the media would have controlled the information and the students would have been buried by now. But because of the Internet, the truth, as in facts, came out despite the relentless liberal push for their narrative.

The Internet enables getting to the truth efficiently but it also enables bias confirmation just as easily. The criticism is unjustly aimed at the Internet when it should be aimed at people the overwhelming majority of whom prefer bias confirmation.

With regards to being in a box, I lump it with the same idea of thinking out of the box. I’m not one to think out of the box; I simply make sure I’m constantly expanding the box I’m in. One can safely assume you’re always operating in a box and the strategy should be you’re constantly expanding your horizons so that you never even see the edges of your box.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19682 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't care if you believe in god, your integrity in dealing with fellow humans is what is important.

This. In spades. Whether or not one is religious, agnostic, or a full blown atheist, your morality is determined by your actions, not your beliefs.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15601 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I could write a three page reply to Arc but I'll just say that:
I agree with the general deterioration of critical thinking.
I agree that surrounding yourself with feel good opinions does nothing to further anything other than ones own ego.
I detest what's going on in public education today. Teach children to think. Do NOT teach children what to think.
Each January, my wife and I fast social media for 21 days. Instead, we read, reflect and meditate on the Bible...not taking someone elses' word for what's in it, but actually discovering it for ourselves. Each of us has free will, which comes with responsibility for our actions.
At the end of it I come away realizing that I truly don't care what's posted on FB and I refuse to participate in Twitter or Instagram.
I realize that SigForum is somewhat of an echo chamber but there is enough intelligent thought here to keep me coming back.

Posts: 687 | Location: Rural W. MI | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes
Picture of sandman76
posted Hide Post
I had good parents. They invested in a set of Encyclopedia Americana at some point when I was a small child. I found the check stubs from the payments he made in his stuff when he died. The set includes the yearly annual updates up to 1975. I have this set in a bookshelf in my basement. You can open these books and find out about most anything, up until 1975 of course.

Do I open these books for research? No. Why? Internet. Opening my browser is so much more convenient and easy. Why do I keep them when I've been told they are worthless? I'm a book loving kind of guy. I read actual books. I read actual newspapers. It gives me comfort knowing that those encyclopedias are there. That I own something that my Father felt was important for his family back in 1958.

I suppose that one day when I'm gone these particular books will be thrown away to forever end their life in some fucking landfill. Disposed of by one of my kids or grandkids. In the meantime, they have a place in my home.

I've lived in Colorado all my life. Mostly in the Denver metro area. Time has changed a lot of things here and the population has just exploded. I long for the days of my youth and I miss my hometown of those days. I vaguely recognize it as the same place I grew up. To the extent that I could move away and not really miss it that much. Just the memories and the people I love that still live here.

Arc, I'm not sure if any of this is truly relative to your post. But it's what came to my mind.

Posts: 1958 | Location: Douglas County, Colorado | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
I was going to post something about the Encyclopedia but Sandmand76 beat me to it and a lot more eloquently than I would have posted.

The internet is todays Encyclopedia, it is what you make of it.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2091 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
My family couldn't afford the Encyclopaedia Britannica, so they bought a Collier's Encyclopedia for me to use. It was good enough, and I still have it, with many "yearbooks" in a bookshelf. I admit I don't use it any more--the Internet is much faster (and more up to date).

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post