SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    At a restaurant do you tip based on total, or total before tax?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

At a restaurant do you tip based on total, or total before tax? Login/Join 
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
I tip on the total, too. Guess I’ve been overtipping, but I’m not going to change now.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10491 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I don't worry about it and I don't live where taxes are high enough to make much difference.
The tip is also adjusted on the quality of the service and anything else that relevant.

Posts: 9524 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
I tip on the total. Not worried about the few extra dollars that tipping on the tax adds.

No plans to change my practice either. We went out tonight to a joint we visit regularly. The girl serving our area was excellent and very busy covering a lot of tables, her tip was over 30% and it was a no brainer. Frankly I think we get better service because my wife and I are known to the staff as good tippers.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4522 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Total + 20% is where they start out when I'm seated.

Then it can only go down from there, based on their actual quality of service.

It takes a lot to get me to start subtracting, but it happens sometimes.

Pretty much no one gets more than 20%, except for big parties or extreme circumstances.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Total + 20% is where they start out when I'm seated.

Then it can only go down from there, based on their actual quality of service.

It takes a lot to get me to start subtracting, but it happens sometimes.

No one gets more than 20%, except for big parties or extreme circumstances.

Exactly, I'm pretty patient, even just saying, "hey I know I haven't been by much but I'm swamped tonight." Will go a long way. I'm personable and hate to judge what kind of shit they might be dealing with, I worked in a restaurant in high school and it sucked then, prolly worse now.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6325 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigarms229:
Frankly I think we get better service because my wife and I are known to the staff as good tippers.

Funny how that works, eh?

Although I’d never put it that way to the servers, I look at large tips at local restaurants as a form of charitable donations to people I know and who do something for me rather than going into some anonymous pit that might or might not benefit those whom it’s supposed to help.* In these times in particular I’m grateful to the people who are willing to work and keep struggling businesses going. When I can’t afford to tip at least appropriately, I’ll stop eating out.

* Yes, I make contributions to trustworthy charities as well.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Total. Sales tax where I am is either 5% or 5.5%, depending on county. On an $80 tab with $4.40 in taxes, the difference in a 20% tip is 88 cents, not worth the extra math to save... and I like doing math. Smile

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2071 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
20% of after tax total. Adjust up or down depending on quality of service.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23286 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Total. Not that big of a deal.

Ditto.

At Carmen’s Mexican Food, a take-out place for me nowadays, I give em a BIG tip because I like the food, and the proprietors, so much.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8977 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by sigarms229:
Frankly I think we get better service because my wife and I are known to the staff as good tippers.

Funny how that works, eh?

Although I’d never put it that way to the servers, I look at large tips at local restaurants as a form of charitable donations to people I know and who do something for me rather than going into some anonymous pit that might or might not benefit those whom it’s supposed to help.* In these times in particular I’m grateful to the people who are willing to work and keep struggling businesses going. When I can’t afford to tip at least appropriately, I’ll stop eating out.

* Yes, I make contributions to trustworthy charities as well.

I think just frequenting makes a huge difference. Obviously if your a POS customer then no. But here I Korea there is no tax or tip. We go the the same Korean BBQ joint, family-owned, once or twice a week.

Every meal we get free add ons, dessert or soup or something.

Plus on the kids birthdays they get 100$ each from the owner, crazy good relationship.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6325 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Both - Since we have no sales tax in Montana.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4233 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Total. Not that big of a deal.

My first thought after reading the OP.

There're some real tightwads on this forum... Roll Eyes

Acts 20:35 ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’

YMMV...

Posts: 4365 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I go off of total. I'm not nit-picking my tip for food service. The folks working in that industry have been getting screwed for quite awhile.

I'm a standard 15-20%, more for stand-out service. Anything less than $25, I'll automatically default to a $5 minimum tip.

Posts: 14658 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pre tax. Tax is pushing 10% here. I tend to tip 20-25% so it’s probably a wash.

Posts: 4282 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mutiny
posted Hide Post
Clearly you can tip whatever you want, but to the Original question, official tip etiquette is based on pre-tax.

Posts: 479 | Location: Out West | Registered: January 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mutiny
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
I always tip on total including tax. I never bothered finding the pre tax amount to calculate from. That being said electronic pads are being used more where I just click the percentage and it adds it automatically. These calculate pretax. I love these things as I don’t need to think about it or do the math.

Yours might do this, however it’s up to the programming by the restaurant. Sometimes they base those numbers on pre-tax(your experience) many times it’s programmed post tax (to give them more money) and often I’ve found that they don’t correspond to anything and it’s even higher than what it says. I like math, and I always check those things out of habit. I find that they are incorrect probably 20% of the time, proposing artificially high amounts. It’s of course up to the consumer to tip whatever they are comfortable with and not really feel like they got ripped off because they just agreed to the proposed tip on the machine.

Posts: 479 | Location: Out West | Registered: January 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridgerat:
I tip based on total BEFORE tax.

Why would anyone tip on money nobody has earned?

All tipping is arbitrary. The easy way: take total bill, divide by 10, then multiply by 2. That’s you tip. Round up, round down, adjust for service. Per vs post tax is silly. If you tax is 10%, the tip might move a few dollars. At the end of the day, why does serving a $20 burger warrant less tip than a $50 NY strip. It doesn’t. It’s arbitrary. I prefer the Japanese system of no tipping.

Posts: 146 | Registered: August 31, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tip on the total bill. Minimum of 20%, or at least $5 per guest.

Posts: 848 | Location: FL | Registered: January 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
I think the cultural expectation is based on pre-tax.

Lived in a state where state and local ended up being 7.5%. That was handy from a calculation perspective, i.e. 'double the tax for the tip' was a useful guideline there.

The difference is not all that much, mathematically (a modest percentage times a small percentage is really small) though in high-tax states the difference could be noticeable on large meals.

Posts: 15033 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Always on total. I worked as a bartender/server throughout my 20s. The vast majority (like 98%+) tipped at least 20% on the total. I'm well aware the "rule" is to tip on pretax amounts but no one does that.

My uncle's been known to say when it comes to tipping "for a few extra bucks you're a hero."

Posts: 816 | Location: Southern NH | Registered: October 11, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post