SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is there a radiologist, or someone who can read x-rays?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is there a radiologist, or someone who can read x-rays? Login/Join 
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted
So I believe I have some broken ribs. I had some x-rays taken, and I won’t hear back from the radiologist until Monday.
I am hoping someone here is able to really read an x-ray, and might be able to tell me what they see.
I have the images and can share the link.

Can anyone here help?

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4031 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
My professional opinion:

Posts: 32572 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31494 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two doctors told me I had two broken ribs,
( Gravity and ice was my down fall)

Neither bothered with ex rays and both told me that they would heal if I was very careful.

No wrapping, taping, no braces, no splints no nothing and they were correct.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54736 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Unless you’ve broken three consecutive ribs in two places each, or you’re coughing up blood from a pierced lung, or have a pneumothorax from a rib jutting from your torso, there’s not much done for busted ribs these days.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31494 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
If it hurts when you move, breath, or just think about moving, you probably have broken ribs!

There's another thing called costochondritis which is the cartilage between the ribs, and while it hurts at times it is nothing like a cracked or broken rib.

So there's a quick internet diagnosis, and I'm not a doctor.

Posts: 9484 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Email me the images.

Q

Posts: 26553 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
If you don’t mind me asking, what happened/what symptoms are there that makes you think you broke your ribs?

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5363 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

quote:
… and I won't hear back from the radiologist until Monday.

Confused I have never had an X-ray taken where the results weren't known in a few minutes. (The last time was in 2012.) Broken bones would be obvious, I would think. A hairline fracture might not be, however. Pleurisy is a possibility. That can cause a sharp pain when you breathe or exert yourself.

Posts: 28029 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sure

Posts: 1746 | Registered: December 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tell my patients broken ribs hurt for a month and half, bruised ribs hurt for 6 weeks.
Nothing to do but wait it out

Posts: 3304 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Email me the images.

Email sent.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4031 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
As to how I broke them, coughing.

quote:
The “lol” thread

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Email me the images.

Email sent.

Nothing on my end.

Q

Posts: 26553 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Q,
Replied to your email and sent.

quote:
The “lol” thread

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fly-Sig:
If it hurts when you move, breath, or just think about moving, you probably have broken ribs!

There's another thing called costochondritis which is the cartilage between the ribs, and while it hurts at times it is nothing like a cracked or broken rib.

So there's a quick internet diagnosis, and I'm not a doctor.

I've had both and can confirm your diagnosis.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20870 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
Q,
Replied to your email and sent.

Replied.

Q

posted Hide Post
I'm not a doctor, but I've broken way too many, many ribs motorcycle racing and have some practical experience. And I can say that xrays are not a reliable indicator unless the situation is pretty severe. And a CTscan or MRI might also provide some more definitive info, but for what? Unless you have an emergency situation with your lungs the prognosis is exactly the same...mostly they heal on their own in 6-8weeks. Your goal is to work really hard to make sure you don't have a pattern of shallow breathing.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11023 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Non displaced rib fractures often do not show up unless the angle is ideal. They might have to take several images before they can see a fracture. Generally, wait a few weeks and they will heal sufficiently that the pain is minimal.

-c1steve

Posts: 4069 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
Unless you’ve broken three consecutive ribs in two places each, or you’re coughing up blood from a pierced lung, or have a pneumothorax from a rib jutting from your torso, there’s not much done for busted ribs these days.

I haven't broken any ribs, but I've bruised some, and that tracks with what I was told.

Basically, unless they're severely broken (which is potentially life-threatening), there's nothing to be done for basic broken ribs or bruised ribs, other than wait them out, take it easy, and try not to cough or laugh.

Similar to broken toes, of which I've broken two. Unless they're severely broken or displaced, there's nothing to do but take it easy and wait.

My first broken toe was from a soccer game while working at a summer camp, and I went to see the on-site doctor. (Yes, it was big and fancy enough to have a doctor on staff.) He said, "Yep, it looks broken, but not badly. Take it easy, and I can give you 1000mg of ibuprofen every 4 hours for it. Or if you want, we can send you to the hospital for xrays, but all they're going to do it tell you 'Yep, it's broken, take it easy' and give you something a little stronger, then charge you and your insurance out the wazoo, all for the same result. Here's some ibuprofen."

So the next time I broke a different toe ~10 years later, I quaffed 1000mg of ibuprofen every 4 hours, took it easy, and didn't even bother to go to the hospital/doctor. Big Grin

Posts: 32572 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post