SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How do you guys start the fire in your BGE / Kamado Joe
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do you guys start the fire in your BGE / Kamado Joe Login/Join 
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted
I have a medium BGE, and I love it, but I don't love getting the fire started.

I have used the wax and wood fire sticks, don't like them much, as they don't do well in Florida's humid conditions.

I've gone through 3 electric charcoal starters. They don't last, 'nuff said.

I bought a chimney starter which has been satisfactory, except that it rusted away to nothing, and I don't feel like buying another one and treating it as a consumable.

Any suggestions?

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12780 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I use electric and on my second only because I left it in too long and it burnt up the plastic handle. Frown

Posts: 22910 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ubique
Picture of TSE
posted Hide Post
I use SureStart which are pressed fiber squares.
They always light easily and it generally takes about 10 minutes to get things going well enough to close up and smoke something. If I leave it longer I will get a hotter fire for grilling.

Calgary Shooting Centre

Posts: 1494 | Location: Alberta | Registered: July 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post

Posts: 12922 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I've tried the cardboard squares and a heat gun. They get the job done, but are kind of a PITA.

Then I went to a heating element type contraption. Not sure where I got it or what it's called, but it works great. You just set in on the coals and plug it in. A few minutes later you're good to go.

Mine is similar to this.

Posts: 20107 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Mapp gas torch and fire starter cubes.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I use the Rutland fire starter squares, it couldn't be much easier.I cut them in half and stick 2 or 3 halves into the charcoal, light with a lighter, and wait a bit. I've also used Mapp but if you have sparky charcoal it pops a lot.

Posts: 3455 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Looftlighter works great for me. No need for any other items, just pile up the charcoal and light it up.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Twisted and knotted paper towel dipped in vegetable oil

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Are use those little Webber fire starter cubes… They light the lump charcoal no problem for me.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
No gas, no chemicals!

Lump coal and a few pages from newspapers.

The Weber Chimney works great.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Yeah the chimneys are only good for 7-8 years or so if you leave them outside like I do. I don't mind spending $20 every nearly decade to replace them. If you want a longer life out of them, bring indoors after use or put it in your shed. Either way it's by far cheaper than using cubes or lighter fluid. Make sure you are buying a Weber chimney, not a knockoff.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone. I liked the chimney, didn't like the one year life span. I will try the Weber chimney. Looks like it is made of Stainless not Walmart.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've used propane, but it's kind of slow. Mapp is an interesting idea, as I've been looking for an excuse to get a Mapp torch...

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12780 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use my MAPP torch, quick and easy.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use bacon grease soaked paper towels. One under a chimney starter. I've also used them wadded up for low and slows.
My Weber branded chimney has lasted 8± years. The cheap one I bought at Wal-Mart for my winter place in Florida just failed at one year.

Posts: 1963 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used the same electric starter for 8 years until I left it in too long and it burned the cord.

I now use a weed torch. Harbor freight has them even cheaper.
https://www.amazon.com/JJ-Geor...4K6S?ref_=ast_sto_dp

Posts: 3923 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Bernzomatic propane torch, using Coleman canisters.

Open top and bottom vents on Egg. Light torch and turn gas supply fully open. Hold the flame from the torch on the lump charcoal piled in the bottom of the Egg for 2-3 minutes. Shut lid. Come back in 10ish minutes once the grill's up to temp. Grill.

Posts: 32512 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I use a paint removal gun and chimney..

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34119 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not all who wander
are lost.
Picture of JohnV
posted Hide Post
I used 3-4 of those cardboard squares for my Joe. They’ve never failed me. If I was cool I’d get one of those MAPP blow torches and do it that way. Although not very efficient versus a LoofLighter.

Posted from my iPhone.

Posts: 4313 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: February 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
Looftlighter works great for me. No need for any other items, just pile up the charcoal and light it up.

Same for me. It works well.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17278 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post