SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How do you guys start the fire in your BGE / Kamado Joe
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do you guys start the fire in your BGE / Kamado Joe Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Yes sir: Looflighter, lasted 7 years for me.

Posts: 268 | Location: SE Georgia | Registered: December 25, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
One of these electric starters:
Electric Ring
I set a timer for 6 min. after I plug it in or they can warp out of shape. The timer lets me keep prepping food and not worrying about wrecking it.
This is my second one and it's lasted about 10yrs+.

Posts: 7358 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
come and take it
posted Hide Post
I use a weed burner like the one Rogue posted.

I have a few SIGs.

Posts: 1892 | Location: Texan north of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
Typically I use one of two methods depending on what I'm going to do.

For smoking where I don't want a rip roaring fire, I'll fold up a paper towel, pour a little vegetable oil on it.

If I'm going to grill at high heat and want to get a jump start I'll use a charcoal chimney. But most of the time I'll use a paper towel with veg oil.

Posts: 1802 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
This is what I use if I'm just torching the coals and to light the starters. A long lighter works great to light the cubes but isn't as much fun and doesn't work if it's windy.

Posts: 3456 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
In my medium egg I use 3 of the little squares and come back in 10 mins. Works every time.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7946 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:

I bought a chimney starter which has been satisfactory, except that it rusted away to nothing, and I don't feel like buying another one and treating it as a consumable.

Any suggestions?

you burnt up a chimney?

I'm on my second, in 10+ yrs,
I have a 3rd in the shed ,but it will probably be 5+ yrs before I need it, and it stays outside all year long

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10423 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Simple propane torch
Your gtg

Posts: 616 | Location: West By God VA | Registered: July 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Simple Propane torch but with a MAPP gas. Burns hotter...I have the kind of torch that starts with a trigger pull.

Made in Texas, in the good ole' U.S. of A.

Posts: 242 | Location: Western North Carolina | Registered: May 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Get a Weber chimney, they’re built like a Soviet tank, and a propane torch to hold under the chimney to start.

That’s all I ever used to light charcoal and it works better than paper or starter cubes etc.

I now have a Weber Performer which has a built in propane lighter assist which does the exact same thing.

Posts: 33815 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
Weber chimney... A sheet of newspaper and its ready to go. I can't imagine burning one up. I dump it once lit and mines still looking great after 2 years

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9072 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Can these chimney contraptions handle lump charcoal?

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7946 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Weber chimney works well, after my second fell apart, I went to a local community college trade school and had a welding student construct something similar from stainless. It has held up well but is a bit heavier due to metal gauge. It will be lighting fires long after I am gone.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2891 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I cook on my BGE about 3 times a week. I have a large and an extra large BGE, and have been using BGE for 10 years. Through trial and error with various fire starter methods, I discovered the Mapp gas torch is the quickest and most reliable way to get a fire started, especially if you are in a hurry. 30 seconds of that flame to the center of the coals and Bam! We got a fire. A tank of Mapp gas lasts me about a year. I use exclusively BGE lump charcoal and pecan wood scraps from my wood shop, both of which are easy to start.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
Can these chimney contraptions handle lump charcoal?
Yes, lump coal is all I use.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:

you burnt up a chimney?

Yes, but it was the shitty Walmart one, not a Weber.

Lots of good suggestions here. Thanks.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12780 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use MAPP as well. I get 2-3 years out of a tank so it’s pretty economical.

I have several friends who like the looftlighter but I don’t have an outlet close to my grill and can’t be bothered to fuss with an extension cord every time I want to cook, so I haven’t tried it.

Posts: 995 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Depends on what I'm doing with my BGE.

If I'm looking to cook/sear some steaks, I use a propane tank with the Harbor Freight weed attachment. That set up really gets the fire going HOT HOT HOT, FAST FAST FAST!!

If I'm looking to do a slow and low, usually bury 3 of those wax cubes as I'm loading the lump.

Posts: 396 | Location: Sunny SoCal | Registered: September 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've used the Kamado Joe and another brand of the cardboard type lighting things, they took forever.

I tried the weber wax cubes and they actually do ok and are faster than the cardboard ones.

I've tried the chimney (weber one is the best) but it makes sparks fly out of the grill and also a pain to get out of the grill and then tip upside down to get the charcoal out (I like the weber for briquettes).

But then I went to a hand held torch with Mapp or propane gas (they both work) and do about 30-60 seconds in 3 different areas and this works the best and is the fastest....

Also in South Florida if that makes any difference.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimber1911:
No gas, no chemicals!

Lump coal and a few pages from newspapers.

The Weber Chimney works great.

The only way to go for charcoal starting.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post