SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone here have a super long commute?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone here have a super long commute? Login/Join 
posted
Greetings to the SF Braintrust. The misses and I are in the market to purchase a home, unfortunately it seems we're near the top of the market. We are currently renting in Spring Hill, TN. We are in a pretty unique spot...we need a big house (4-5 bedrooms/3,000 sq ft) to house our families (they visit often), our future child, and of course one room for my armory. I also need a BIG garage. 4 motorcycles, 1 side by side, 1 waverunner, 1 race car, her car, and my truck that stays in the driveway, plus every tool known to mankind and a bike lift...so basically a 4-5 car garage one way or the other. This equates to roughly a $500,000 house MININUM in middle TN, as I work in the Franklin area, and I just can't do that. I'd more like to be in the $300,000-$350,000 range, and at least on a .5 acre lot.

Having said that, I've found a house/builder that fits all of my criteria, in the Fayetteville, TN area...which is basically out in BFE. It would be an 83 mile, or 1:25 each way. I've had hour long commutes for many years before, but they where only 45-65 miles. I'd have to pickup a cheap used Japanese 4 cylinder to drive, which doesn't bother me.

My question is...is this sane? To move to far away from work just to find affordable housing? Or just suck up the big boy house note to live within a 30-45 minute commute? Was wondering if anyone else was in this same situation and had any insight. Thanks!

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 974 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
Two things, both related.

1. You won’t have much time to enjoy all the fancy toys if you are commuting ~3 hours each day.

2. Time is the only truly finite resource we have. Perhaps sacrifice some items on your list, and then you will have more time to enjoy the rest?

Posts: 2328 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
My brother commutes from Bellevue, WA to Bellingham, WA which is around two hours. However, he bought a second house in Bellingham to use if he works late and has to be back early the next day. My other brother makes the same commute but does it on a motorcycle when weather permits.

Posts: 3233 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reloader-1:

1. You won’t have much time to enjoy all the fancy toys if you are commuting ~3 hours each day.

2. Time is the only truly finite resource we have. Perhaps sacrifice some items on your list, and then you will have more time to enjoy the rest?

Very, very true. Take it for what it's worth.

Posts: 7568 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I've done the longer commute living in the DC area in the past. I still have to deal with it occasionally to get to some clients. Although mine was/is in stop and go traffic.

I would not do it again on a daily basis no matter what. My time and health are more important to me. Traffic like that and long commutes drives me nuts. It was a huge stress for me. I hated even thinking of doing it. I still hate it when I have to deal with it occasionally now and less than once a week anymore.

Lots of people do it and find ways to deal with it. My advice would be to really think it through. For me, it's not worth it anymore although I did do it for a few years.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16413 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
I drive from near Dahlonega to Dalton GA every day.
Over 2 mountains.
It's right at a hour and a half.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39771 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
come and take it
posted Hide Post
I had a 38 mile one way commute for 2 years from Dallas to Fort Worth. After 2 years I moved to Fort Worth and got back 1.5 hours of my life back every day. I won't voluntarily sign up for a bad commute again.

I have a few SIGs.

Posts: 1893 | Location: Texan north of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reloader-1:

Yep. No way in hell I would live more than 45 minutes away from work. I rather have less toys and shorter commute.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20848 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JonDaddy82:
Greetings to the SF Braintrust. The misses and I are in the market to purchase a home, unfortunately it seems we're near the top of the market. We are currently renting in Spring Hill, TN. We are in a pretty unique spot...we need a big house (4-5 bedrooms/3,000 sq ft) to house our families (they visit often), our future child, and of course one room for my armory. I also need a BIG garage. 4 motorcycles, 1 side by side, 1 waverunner, 1 race car, her car, and my truck that stays in the driveway, plus every tool known to mankind and a bike lift...so basically a 4-5 car garage one way or the other. This equates to roughly a $500,000 house MININUM in middle TN, as I work in the Franklin area, and I just can't do that. I'd more like to be in the $300,000-$350,000 range, and at least on a .5 acre lot.

Having said that, I've found a house/builder that fits all of my criteria, in the Fayetteville, TN area...which is basically out in BFE. It would be an 83 mile, or 1:25 each way. I've had hour long commutes for many years before, but they where only 45-65 miles. I'd have to pickup a cheap used Japanese 4 cylinder to drive, which doesn't bother me.

My question is...is this sane? To move to far away from work just to find affordable housing? Or just suck up the big boy house note to live within a 30-45 minute commute? Was wondering if anyone else was in this same situation and had any insight. Thanks!

83 miles... What does that look like during the times you’d be commuting? What condition are the roads in and/or major construction projects that could pop up in the future? Weather/seasonality? 83 miles on paper is dramatically different than in practice. I’ve had 50 mile commutes that took ~45 minutes and 12 mile commutes that took 60-90. Had the argument many times with recruiters saying ‘It’s only 15 miles!’, yeah Google maps doesn’t tell you that’ll take me 90 minutes (I guess it actually does now but you get what I mean).

Not even mentioning that the house you’re looking for doesn’t generally exist in your typical suburbia, but 83 miles? Not a lot of extra time for all those toys when you’re burning an additional 15-20hrs a week in a Honda Civic or equivalent!

Posts: 516 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I had, for a time, a 71-mile commute. I did it for a different reason - it was where the work (or at least decent paying work) was. I didn't (and still don't) have a lot of possessions and was (and still am) single. It was worth it, but barely.

That 2½-hour commute you're considering could easily turn into 5, 6 or more hours at the first accident up ahead or half an inch of snow. You apparently don't have a suitable car, so you'll need to buy one. Between that and the extra maintenance and repairs (e.g., a new set of tires every year), combine all of the above and I don't think this compares very favorably.

Posts: 28017 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We did 92 miles RT mostly in the CO mountains for about a year and had to account for at least 2.5 hrs of drive time daily. Had I not done it with my wife it would have gotten old quick. Longer in adverse weather of course. People tend to be less interested in visiting when it's a long drive like that to see you. We were younger, without kids and it was tough. Definitely some trade-offs.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I once had a 160 mile round trip commute for three months. I hated every minute of it. I wouldn't recommend spending that much time driving in your car.

Posts: 551 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: July 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I just went from a 35 minute commute to 50-55 minute. I've tried longer drives just to see how far I could move. In my opinion once you hit an hour you are just done with driving. I wouldn't go more than an hour.

However, if you can adjust your work schedule to 4 X 10 hour days or something then it may be a consideration.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12451 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
If you must buy a car for your proposed commute, don't get the cheapest shitbox you can find. Their little engines will be turning 4000 rpm or more on the interstate. Especially stay away from GM-Korea (formerly Daewoo) manufactured anything.

Posts: 28017 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
No fuggn way would I commute three hours a day. I recently took a new job and went from a 10 minute commute to a 25 minute commute and hate it.

Posts: 1816 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No damn way. I made a 45-60 minutes commute for about 9 months. I will not ever willingly do that again.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
I had a 45 mile roughly 50-55 minute commute for 9 years. It sucked and I won't do it again unless I absolutely have no choice.

My commute was not on an interstate - that would make it much worse considering traffic, construction and wrecks.

My commute now is about 8 miles/12-13 minutes and I love it.

Not worth it to me - but everyone has to make that call based on their own priorities.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I started a thread sometime back surveying members on the length of their commute. Lots of us work from home. My commute is five minutes and I can run home for lunch if I want. I have done the hour plus commute with no traffic, and it still is draining. Pay the extra and live closer to work. If it were a high crime area that is another matter.

Posts: 17282 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not a chance in hell I'd sign up for that.

Posts: 1974 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
40 miles one way. An hour to work, and an hour and a half on the way home.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post