SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A good boat/deck shoe
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A good boat/deck shoe Login/Join 
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted
Looking for a good boat/deck shoe for the summer.
I had a pair last summer that were cheap. The way they look they don't have another season left in them.
Must be slip on no laces. Comfy, light weight and have some ventilation to keep feet from sweating.
I don't wear socks when I wear boat shoes.

Margaritaville brand has some nice looking canvas ones in the $60 range that look like they fit the bill nicely.

Always like to ask here for the depth and knowledge of the members. So what ya wearing?

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8617 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of Sperry Top Sider's that never touch dirt

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53786 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Sperry or Allen Edmonds.

Posts: 17944 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Vans?

I wore them as a kid on tuna boats in San Diego as a kid. Worked then.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14146 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Sperry

I wore them as a deck shoe for boardings on yachts; we wore boondockers for freighters and work boats....

I've actually been told to take off the topsiders when the woman we boarded told us to...she had white carpets aboard a 2 million plus yacht...

the guys (fellow teamates) laughed, but hey man, it was her boat and i was able to complete my mission w/o issue....

Get real topsiders...white soles and medium brown leather

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11459 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
Rugged Shark Atlantic, Or Bass Pros version Bill Vance. Both made by Rugged Shark. I wear the Rugged Shark year round except when there is snow on the ground.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4033 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steelcityfishanddive
posted Hide Post
Sperry's with the gum rubber soles.

Posts: 1316 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
The Sperry's look nice going to give them some consideration. I'm liking these Olu Kai shoes too. anybody have experience with these?

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8617 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Sperry Topsiders.

Posts: 2427 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Odd man out here. I like Rockport.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31385 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Bean's Blucher moc is good, too.

But it is laced.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53238 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sperry.

Posts: 999 | Location: Nashville | Registered: October 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The sperry sneakers. They have some laceless ones that are vented that are grippy. I wear the sperry sneakers with laces everyday for work.

Posts: 21408 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
add another vote for allen edmonds boat shoes.

i have 2 pairs both suede, one light green like below and one "bone" color, looks like they arent offering that color this year. I have one year down on them and they look brand new however I use shoe trees. The life is around 3 years says the store.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8239 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Sebago are some of the most durable ones I've ever owned but they can be tough to find. I'm wearing a pair of Gold Cup Sperry's now and they are easily the most comfortable ones I've found. Not cheap though.

Unless I'm spending over 100 on them I kinda consider them disposable and just figure on getting a new pair every year or maybe every other if I'm lucky.

Are you actually wearing them just on the boat or as a casual shoe?

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10571 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Use to by Sperry in the 80's but when they started being made overseas switched to Eastland. Made in Maine. Pricey but I wait for the sales.

Posts: 5342 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I wear Vans (slip ons and three-holes) and Chucks, have on and off since the 70s/80s.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Unishot
posted Hide Post
Sperry Billfisher slip on.

Sorted!

http://m.shoebuy.com/sperry-to..._-none-_-none-_-none

Insert your favorite gun-related witticism here!

Posts: 655 | Location: TX | Registered: March 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
Under armour, Nike, adidas all make deck shoes designed to get wet.

I have these adidas and love them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d...climacool+boat+shoes

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4795 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Do you really need a boat/deck shoe because you're actually going to be boating, or you just like the look of traditional boat/deck shoes, as epitomized by certain Sperry models?

If it's just the look you're after: Find something that looks and feels good, and meets your budget, buy it, wear it, assume you'll be tossing them at the end of the season. IME: No shoe that regularly gets wet/damp and is worn without socks will survive beyond a season. Especially if it's worn dirt-side. (Oil, grease, etc. on surfaces.)

If what you really need is a shoe that'll keep you on the deck in challenging conditions I'd do a search on Sailing Anarchy.

Last season I sailed I resorted to a really well-made "water shoe" with non-marking, wrap-around soles. Held the decks, wet or dry, like my feet were glued down; laughed at deck hardware, and was designed to get wet Smile

N.B.: No boat/deck shoe meant to actually be used on a boat ever touches anything dirt-side of a pier, if even that. If for no other reason than the contaminants ashore will destroy their grip. I've two pairs of boat sandals, same brand, bought about the same time. One pair was worn ashore. The other never saw the surface of anything but boat decks. The soles of the pair worn ashore are so slick and hard they're dangerous on a boat. The other pair are still kind of grippy.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post