SIGforum
Idiocy - Doping Scandal in Bridge (the card game)

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/2970060454

March 01, 2019, 11:44 AM
tatortodd
Idiocy - Doping Scandal in Bridge (the card game)
I don't give a shit how much testosterone, growth hormone, fertility drugs, etc. someone shoots/injests/rubs into their body it ain't doing shit for their card playing skills. Total idiocy that a bridge federation is part of World Anti-Doping Agency as it's just rules for the sake of rules. Like all zero tolerance policies it's a result of zero brain activity.
quote:
Top-ranked bridge player suspended for doping on synthetic testosterone, female fertility drug

By Lucia I. Suarez Sang | Fox News

The world’s top-ranked bridge player has been suspended for at least a year by the World Bridge Federation after he tested positive for two banned substances.

The federation announced Friday a sample provided by Geir Helgemo, 49, at the World Bridge Series in September 2018 tested positive for synthetic testosterone and clomifene – a female fertility drug.

“As a consequence of the laboratory analysis, an anti-doping charge was brought against the player,” the federation said in a statement. “He accepted that he had committed the violation and accepted a provisional suspended pending consideration by the Anti-Doping Panel.”

Helgemo, who is Norwegian but represents Monaco in bridge events, was suspended by the WBF until November 20 and had all titles, medals and points from the 2018 World Bridge Series revoked.

It wasn't immediately clear what benefits the banned substances may have provided a bridge player.

Kari-Anne Opsal, president of the Norwegian Bridge Federation, said in a statement on their website that the drugs were “not performance enhancing.”

“Geir Helgemo … has previously played for the Norwegian national team and is our biggest star. Many within the bridge community know Geir and respect him,” the statement said. “It is his responsibility not to take substances that are on the doping list, even though in this instance they are not performance enhancing in bridge.”

The World Bridge Federation is recognized by the International Olympic Committee and, as such, abides by World Anti-Doping Agency rules.

This is not the first time Helgemo has been in hot water. In 2017, he spent time in prison for tax evasion.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
March 01, 2019, 11:48 AM
BBMW
I play poker (although not as much as I used to at the height of the poker boom.) I did think that if I decided to play big, high entry tournaments, I'd consider getting/taking attention boosting prescription drugs, such as Ritalin, Adderal, or Provigil, since they might give me an edge.
March 01, 2019, 11:52 AM
Windhover
I can say from first han...uh I heard that you need speed, strength and agility if you want to most effectively lunge across the table to strangle your partner who bids 7 Spade with no Ace of Spade...at a buck a point... PED helps with all 3...
March 01, 2019, 11:57 AM
SR
quote:
Originally posted by Windhover:
I can say from first han...uh I heard that you need speed, strength and agility if you want to most effectively lunge across the table to strangle your partner who bids 7 Spade with no Ace of Spade...at a buck a point... PED helps with all 3...

I barely understand the game... but that bid seem crazy even for a first time player

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig
March 01, 2019, 11:58 AM
egregore
quote:
The federation announced Friday a sample provided by Geir Helgemo, 49, at the World Bridge Series in September 2018 tested positive for synthetic testosterone and clomifene – a female fertility drug.

Confused The test sounds bogus.
March 01, 2019, 12:03 PM
Windhover
quote:
Originally posted by SR:
quote:
Originally posted by Windhover:

I barely understand the game... but that bid seem crazy even for a first time player

Not to derail the thread, but I should mention in the novel Moonraker, James Bond first runs afoul of Hugo Drax in a bridge game. The hand is laid out and I found it fascinating. Spoiler Alert...

Bond cheated
March 01, 2019, 12:32 PM
tatortodd
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
I play poker (although not as much as I used to at the height of the poker boom.) I did think that if I decided to play big, high entry tournaments, I'd consider getting/taking attention boosting prescription drugs, such as Ritalin, Adderal, or Provigil, since they might give me an edge.
I could see a mental game (e.g. poker or bridge) testing for attention boosters, but testing and suspending for steroids, fertility hormones, growth hormones, etc. is asinine.

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
March 01, 2019, 12:41 PM
BBMW
I've never heard of drug testing for poker.

quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
I could see a mental game (e.g. poker or bridge) testing for attention boosters, but testing and suspending for steroids, fertility hormones, growth hormones, etc. is asinine.

March 01, 2019, 12:43 PM
tatortodd
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:

Confused The test sounds bogus.
Nope. Clomifene is used by bodybuilders, athletes, etc. after a steroid cycle to restart natural testosterone production. However, it has zero impact on your card playing ability.

March 01, 2019, 12:51 PM
Sig2340
quote:
< snip >
... synthetic testosterone and clomifene – a female fertility drug.
< snip >

I've heard of people that like to fuck themselves over, but this takes that mental illness to a whole new level.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018
March 01, 2019, 12:52 PM
tatortodd
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
quote:
< snip >
... synthetic testosterone and clomifene – a female fertility drug.
< snip >

I've heard of people that like to fuck themselves over, but this takes that mental illness to a whole new level.
Always good to read entire thread before posting...

March 01, 2019, 01:44 PM
Neel
Since he was popped for taking female fertility drugs, all he has to say is that this is part of a his transgender strategy.

He'll be honored for his bravery.

March 01, 2019, 07:03 PM
egregore

March 01, 2019, 07:31 PM
Il Cattivo
You know - so your body's as confused as it was when you were 12 or 13. Or something.
March 01, 2019, 11:19 PM
Rightwire
There is a Norwegian National Bridge Team??

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.
March 02, 2019, 07:26 AM
walker77
quote:
Originally posted by Neel:
Since he was popped for taking female fertility drugs, all he has to say is that this is part of a his transgender strategy.

He'll be honored for his bravery.

OK..... Roll Eyes

I take clomifene. It doesn't have the ups and downs like other testosterone drugs.

Have something funny to say about that?
March 02, 2019, 07:32 AM
Batty67
My Mom has been playing contract bridge for 40 years or so and is a life master 4 or 5 times over.
March 02, 2019, 09:24 AM
tatortodd
quote:
Originally posted by Batty67:
My Mom has been playing contract bridge for 40 years or so and is a life master 4 or 5 times over.
Big Grin what PEDs is she taking? How does she beat the testing? Big Grin