SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Idiocy - Doping Scandal in Bridge (the card game)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Idiocy - Doping Scandal in Bridge (the card game) Login/Join 
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted
I don't give a shit how much testosterone, growth hormone, fertility drugs, etc. someone shoots/injests/rubs into their body it ain't doing shit for their card playing skills. Total idiocy that a bridge federation is part of World Anti-Doping Agency as it's just rules for the sake of rules. Like all zero tolerance policies it's a result of zero brain activity.
quote:
Top-ranked bridge player suspended for doping on synthetic testosterone, female fertility drug

By Lucia I. Suarez Sang | Fox News

The world’s top-ranked bridge player has been suspended for at least a year by the World Bridge Federation after he tested positive for two banned substances.

The federation announced Friday a sample provided by Geir Helgemo, 49, at the World Bridge Series in September 2018 tested positive for synthetic testosterone and clomifene – a female fertility drug.

“As a consequence of the laboratory analysis, an anti-doping charge was brought against the player,” the federation said in a statement. “He accepted that he had committed the violation and accepted a provisional suspended pending consideration by the Anti-Doping Panel.”

Helgemo, who is Norwegian but represents Monaco in bridge events, was suspended by the WBF until November 20 and had all titles, medals and points from the 2018 World Bridge Series revoked.

It wasn't immediately clear what benefits the banned substances may have provided a bridge player.

Kari-Anne Opsal, president of the Norwegian Bridge Federation, said in a statement on their website that the drugs were “not performance enhancing.”

“Geir Helgemo … has previously played for the Norwegian national team and is our biggest star. Many within the bridge community know Geir and respect him,” the statement said. “It is his responsibility not to take substances that are on the doping list, even though in this instance they are not performance enhancing in bridge.”

The World Bridge Federation is recognized by the International Olympic Committee and, as such, abides by World Anti-Doping Agency rules.

This is not the first time Helgemo has been in hot water. In 2017, he spent time in prison for tax evasion.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23317 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I play poker (although not as much as I used to at the height of the poker boom.) I did think that if I decided to play big, high entry tournaments, I'd consider getting/taking attention boosting prescription drugs, such as Ritalin, Adderal, or Provigil, since they might give me an edge.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Angry Korean
with a Dark Soul
Picture of Windhover
posted Hide Post
I can say from first han...uh I heard that you need speed, strength and agility if you want to most effectively lunge across the table to strangle your partner who bids 7 Spade with no Ace of Spade...at a buck a point... PED helps with all 3...

Posts: 1169 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: October 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Windhover:
I can say from first han...uh I heard that you need speed, strength and agility if you want to most effectively lunge across the table to strangle your partner who bids 7 Spade with no Ace of Spade...at a buck a point... PED helps with all 3...

I barely understand the game... but that bid seem crazy even for a first time player

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
The federation announced Friday a sample provided by Geir Helgemo, 49, at the World Bridge Series in September 2018 tested positive for synthetic testosterone and clomifene – a female fertility drug.

Confused The test sounds bogus.

Posts: 28006 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Angry Korean
with a Dark Soul
Picture of Windhover
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR:
quote:
Originally posted by Windhover:

I barely understand the game... but that bid seem crazy even for a first time player

Not to derail the thread, but I should mention in the novel Moonraker, James Bond first runs afoul of Hugo Drax in a bridge game. The hand is laid out and I found it fascinating. Spoiler Alert...

Bond cheated

Posts: 1169 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: October 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
I play poker (although not as much as I used to at the height of the poker boom.) I did think that if I decided to play big, high entry tournaments, I'd consider getting/taking attention boosting prescription drugs, such as Ritalin, Adderal, or Provigil, since they might give me an edge.
I could see a mental game (e.g. poker or bridge) testing for attention boosters, but testing and suspending for steroids, fertility hormones, growth hormones, etc. is asinine.

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23317 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I've never heard of drug testing for poker.

quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
I could see a mental game (e.g. poker or bridge) testing for attention boosters, but testing and suspending for steroids, fertility hormones, growth hormones, etc. is asinine.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:

Confused The test sounds bogus.
Nope. Clomifene is used by bodybuilders, athletes, etc. after a steroid cycle to restart natural testosterone production. However, it has zero impact on your card playing ability.

Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
< snip >
... synthetic testosterone and clomifene – a female fertility drug.
< snip >

I've heard of people that like to fuck themselves over, but this takes that mental illness to a whole new level.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31485 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
quote:
< snip >
... synthetic testosterone and clomifene – a female fertility drug.
< snip >

I've heard of people that like to fuck themselves over, but this takes that mental illness to a whole new level.
Always good to read entire thread before posting...

Picture of Neel
posted Hide Post
Since he was popped for taking female fertility drugs, all he has to say is that this is part of a his transgender strategy.

He'll be honored for his bravery.

Posts: 559 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: May 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 28006 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
You know - so your body's as confused as it was when you were 12 or 13. Or something.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
There is a Norwegian National Bridge Team??

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38004 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Neel:
Since he was popped for taking female fertility drugs, all he has to say is that this is part of a his transgender strategy.

He'll be honored for his bravery.

OK..... Roll Eyes

I take clomifene. It doesn't have the ups and downs like other testosterone drugs.

Have something funny to say about that?

Posts: 7401 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Mom has been playing contract bridge for 40 years or so and is a life master 4 or 5 times over.

Posts: 3539 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Batty67:
My Mom has been playing contract bridge for 40 years or so and is a life master 4 or 5 times over.
Big Grin what PEDs is she taking? How does she beat the testing? Big Grin