SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hummingbirds are amazing
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hummingbirds are amazing Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
We have a 2-3 hummingbirds that frequent our yard. May be more but I don't think I've seen more than 2 or 3 at a time.

Birds are amazing flyers. They fly into trees fast - avoiding branches and landing on a specific branch or twig quickly with precision and ease. But they don't really stop when flying and otherwise seem rather fluid and imprecise. They swerve and such but it seems random.

Hummingbirds just seem precise all the time. They way they just stop and then move here and there. It all seems very conscious and deterministic. They are exactly where they want to be.

Mesmerizing to watch.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12736 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Animis Opibusque Parati
posted Hide Post
They truly are amazing animals. The way some migrate over the Gulf of Mexico non-stop is insane.

"Prepared in mind and resources"

Posts: 1353 | Location: SC | Registered: October 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
We have loads of birds here. Hummingbirds are certainly a large population, and do some of the most amazing things.

In the summertime when they are mating, they will dart up to about 80 feet in the air and then jet straight down like a lawn dart only to pull up about a foot away from the ground. They do this repeatedly all summer long.

There is a hierarchy amongst the birds where the Eagles get picked on by the crows and the crows get picked on by the hummingbirds. Nobody messes with the chickens.

I’ve seen a hummingbird almost lance/impale a crow from behind.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
They can hover forever. They got air brakes, hyper throttling, automatic curve apexing and thrust vectoring built in. If we could get a fighter jet to perform like a hummer, it would be generations out front. Sounds like you need to hang a few feeders.

Posts: 17903 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
They also are very territorial around the feeding stations that we as humans place for them to the point of fighting other humming birds away ..................................................................... drill sgt.

Posts: 2016 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
They wouldn't have to eat so damn much if they'd stop fighting over the food! 4 holes per feeder, 4 feeders in yard, 16 of you should be able to chill!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12430 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Must be warm where y'all are. Still cold as shit up here. We've got a place to hang a feeder, but its not time yet. They'll be along shortly.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18389 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
They are nothing short of astounding to observe. We have them up at the lake during the summer. Always have two feeders out and they are always busy. I also put nesting materials out and they use it up. When I have to bring one of the feeders in to clean and refill the moment I step outside they are dive bombing me and will actually sit on the feeder and feed while I'm carrying it.

This picture was taken during a driving rain storm in strong winds, heavy lightning and thunder boomers. They could hold their position or dart in any direction in what had to be 30mph winds at the time. There were a lot more of them than captured in this pic.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8536 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
We have a couple groups of hummingbirds both front and back of house that live here all year round ... even during the winter keeping their nectar from freezing. I also give them a potted real tree during the winter with little lights on it for them to perch on out of the weather.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
My dad’s cousin (I couldn’t tell you the proper name for the relationship, cause that all very confusing) has feeders all around his porch in western NC. Last time I was there, there were somewhere around fourth or more . It was super cool to watch. The Tomminator held a feeder in his hand and stood still for about five minutes before they whipped in and began feeding.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11295 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Every season when I watch the hummingbirds return, I think of the kid next door when I was young. He was a born liar - he told his sister not to wear her hair in a ponytail because the hummingbirds would see her ears, think they were pink flowers, and punch a hole in her eardrums. She believed him!

He once asked me why I never believed anything he said and I replied that, unlike his family, my family didn't ride into town on the back of a turnip truck. His comeback reply was that my family rode into town on a moonshine truck. (That might have been closer to the truth than anything else he ever told me. Smile)

Posts: 1626 | Registered: February 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
I’ve got video of my (then) 8 year-old son gently petting a hummingbird at the feeder about a year-and-a-half ago. I’ve never seen that before or since. Pretty cool.

Posts: 2939 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
Up until last year we'd have 20+ hanging out at the feeders. Even nesting on our patio. Last year we had very few, the nest was started but never finished. Maybe more feeders in the neighborhood? I, also, have an Oriole feeder that Hummingbirds use, too.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3402 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
I put up my feeder yesterday as a result of this thread.

They say as early as Mar 1 for Houston but it just feels too cold for them to be moving this far up already after flying over the gulf.

HK Ag

Posts: 3505 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
You can use this map to track the migration. Gives you a better idea of when you need to hang your feeders. Lots more info on the site as well.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8536 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post