SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Are there ANY reliable single serve coffee (“Keurig”) makers?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are there ANY reliable single serve coffee (“Keurig”) makers? Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted
This could just as easily go in the pitch your bitch section but I am asking a serious question and not simply complaining. Here is the problem.

We’ve owned about 4 various Keurigs, low to high end. All die in some way within a year or two. Usually just stop providing properly measured amounts of coffee. Now keep in mind I DO keep them maintained. I descale, clean needles etc.

I’ve torn them down and it seems like pump issues or other internal failures. I’ve tried “burping” them etc.

So in your experience have you found any of these (brand agnostic) that will last for any length of time? Even if money were no object per se is there something like an industrial grade brand of these that will hold up for 5-8 years???

Thanks all,
Chris.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
I have your answers.

Foremost, the consumer models do not last. It's the pump issue, just you said. If it fails Keurig will sell you a replacement at a good discount and it will be less expensive that whatever broke. Keurig is still making a profit on the replacements so they have little incentive to make a better consumer model.

Somewhere online an engineer took his failed unit apart and found it was the pump it but fixable however, no homeowner will do that so it's back to the replacement.

I've been through three consumer units and they all failed the same way.

The answer? Buy a model from their commercial line. I bought the least expensive commercial model from Staples for around $115 and in more than six years it has never malfunctioned. Not a single time and no leaks. I've descaled it as necessary but never had a problem. It has metal parts and is built pretty tough.

I use mine every day and we're coming up on seven years.

Posts: 4076 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Been using a little simple two cup (4 cup I suppose) Mr coffee. Cost around $10 iirc When on the road. Kind of like the little hotel room jobbies.
Does this post belong in the "I am cheap" thread?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19185 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
We have the Mini Plus version at work. It's the one that will only hold enough water to make one cup at a time, no multi-cup reservoir in it. I have noticed that the pump seemed to stop working on this one a time or two but unplugging it and plugging it back in to power seems to have fixed it. This is the forth one in about 13 years though. When we think it's broken and we don't want to mess around with it, we just find another one on sale and buy it split 3 ways. We also just use bottled water in it because we have bottled water in our work area that we pay for anyway. So we have never had to descale it.

Posts: 3382 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oregon
posted Hide Post
If you can do without the Keurig type of coffee mechanism, check out the Technivorm.

"Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?"
-Dr. Thaddeus Venture

Posts: 6086 | Location: PDX | Registered: May 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Let me preface by saying we're not day long coffee drinkers. Wife and I have a cup in the AM, and my wife maybe a cup after dinner. Our last Keuring has lasted 7 years. We recently replaced it with the newer model, mainly to save counter space and move up to the latest tech. This is the one with 5 nozzles vs one on the old one. It's quieter, brews a better less bitter cup and has more selections for how to brew. It is much more that we expected.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veni,vidi,Vici
Picture of Campusninja
posted Hide Post
quote:

If you can do without the Keurig type of coffee mechanism, check out the Technivorm.

This would be my suggestion. Love my Moccamaster Cup One.

Posts: 1260 | Location: Michigan | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I’ve been happy with my nespresso pixie made in Switzerland. Use filtered fridge water and Peet’s capsule to make double pulled Americanos with hot water from zojirushi hot pot.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
I have a Keurig "slim" space-saver model that I bought about 3 or 4 years ago at Walmart for around $60.00, and it gets used multiple times per day. Only descaled once and still working perfectly as of a few minutes ago!

Posts: 4585 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I have one that’s been good since 2017. I wrote the date on it as I was curious. The model it replaced lasted almost 10yrs. https://www.keurig.com/Home-Co...ee-Maker#Black_color

I wonder about your water? Lots of iron or other stuff, I know I can’t hardly drink tap water in some places in the south as it has such a strong sulfur smell and taste. Our tap water is pretty good and we usually fill the Kuerig with the water from the fridge dispenser.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the same machine. It is the Keurig K145 OfficePro. It looks like most of the older machines, but it has a rotary dial on the top-back that allows the water to drain from the internal lines. THat's the quick way to spot them. They use a different water pump than the home models. They are also louder than the home versions ... beware of that. If you can still find one, they are probably bargains now. Just run vinegar thru it before using it.

quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:
I have your answers.

Foremost, the consumer models do not last. It's the pump issue, just you said. If it fails Keurig will sell you a replacement at a good discount and it will be less expensive that whatever broke. Keurig is still making a profit on the replacements so they have little incentive to make a better consumer model.

Somewhere online an engineer took his failed unit apart and found it was the pump it but fixable however, no homeowner will do that so it's back to the replacement.

I've been through three consumer units and they all failed the same way.

The answer? Buy a model from their commercial line. I bought the least expensive commercial model from Staples for around $115 and in more than six years it has never malfunctioned. Not a single time and no leaks. I've descaled it as necessary but never had a problem. It has metal parts and is built pretty tough.

I use mine every day and we're coming up on seven years.

Posts: 691 | Location: PA | Registered: August 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised to hear that you've never had a Keurig last more than a year or two. Do you have hard water?

I say that surprises me because I've owned two Keurigs, each of which worked great for about a decade.

My first Keurig saw use at home for about a decade from 2010ish-2020 with both myself and my wife using it daily. That's ~10 years making around 3-6 cups of coffee per day, every day, with no problems. I gave it to the wife in the divorce and I switched to using a pour-over, so I never replaced it and no longer have a Keurig at home. But I wouldn't be surprised if it was still going strong at my ex-wife's house.

I then have a small single-cup Keurig in my office at work, and it's probably about 9 years old at this point. It makes 2-3 cups per day 5 days per week, and is still going strong too.

So either the late 2000s/early 2010s Keurig makers were significantly higher quality than the newer production models, or it's the fact that I use only filtered water in them. Either way, I've had no problems, and they've each lasted a good long while.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
We have this model. Can't tell you the exact date, but probably ten years or so. I have two cups every morning, wife has either one or two, so probably somewhere around 1,250 to 1,300 cups / year.

We use water either from an under-the-sink filter, or a Brita filter; I don't think that we have had to de-scale it more than two or three times since we've had it.

The previous one that we had, same model, only lasted two or three years before the pump failed.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We went from a Keurig to Nespresso and never looked back.

https://www.nespresso.com/us/e...-vertuoline-titanium

I think the coffee tastes much better but I really like strong coffee.

My wife gets the weaker-tasting pods.

We have had this machine for a while.

We also have a Duo Keurig that we don't use much anymore.

This was a reliable Keurig

https://www.keurig.com/b/k-duo...e-best-seller-bundle

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Thanks all. Will look into some of the suggestions.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
I’ve been happy with my nespresso pixie made in Switzerland. Use filtered fridge water and Peet’s capsule to make double pulled Americanos with hot water from zojirushi hot pot.

Ditto, except that I use store-bought distilled water.

I like Nespresso’s “Ristretto” variety best. Black, of course.

The older I get the less I can abide coffee that was made more than fifteen minutes ago.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8946 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I fill up the one cup coffee machines with water at my church and they go through a lot of machines. Not one has lasted more than 6 months. So I think they don't last long.

I had a keurig machine at work and it stopped working after 13 months. When I called, the woman said it was a known issue but since it was out of warranty, they will sell me a new one at cost.

I said, just because I was "unlucky" that my machine lasted one more month then I would have to pay for a replacement but if it was bad enough to conk out one month earlier, then they would replace it for free?

They sent me a new one for free.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19659 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I got a Mixpresso Single serve which uses K cups or add your own coffee grounds for $58.

https://www.amazon.com/Mixpres...a-942698379322&psc=1

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Yeah, one biggie is the water. We can usually go 3+ years or so, commercial grade. We only use reverse osmosis filtered water, or some type of distilled.

Much of the time it’s the water added that’s hard on them.

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Knezz
posted Hide Post
I’m the only one in the household to drink coffee (2 to 3 cups per day). I just had a Keurig fail on me two weeks ago (not pumping enough coffee into the cup). I purchased it for convenience. I’m not going to replace it because I could never get a good cup of coffee from it. It was always weak. I even purchased the larger reusable k-cups so that I could test multiple coffees and increase the amount of coffee per cup. Still weak plus it defeated the purpose of convenience.

I have a Ninja that I shelved for the convenience of the K-Cup. I’m pulling it out of mothballs just to get a decent cup.

Regards,
K. Nezz

=======================
"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." *Gen. W. Thornson*

Posts: 3053 | Location: East Coast | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post