SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I have two companies interested in hiring me. **Pg. 3 update**
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I have two companies interested in hiring me. **Pg. 3 update** Login/Join 
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Firearm related jobs in this state aren’t for long.

Posts: 9971 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
Firearm related jobs in this state aren’t for long.

That was another thing I came to realize. No matter how this election goes, they’re still coming after guns in this state. At some point, the local firearms industry is going to be driven out of business or out of state.

Posts: 17160 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
Go work for Rainier!! They make cool stuff and their shop is great and they tend to keep the assholes in check at the store whenever I've been there.

Hey, I'm an attorney and there has to be one devil's advocate.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1959 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
Go for the production job, in the long run you will make more money and that's what we work for.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
So, a conclusion to the story: I have accepted the job offer from the production company and this morning, I let the gun shop know about it and thanked them for their interest. The manager congratulated me and bid me a good day. I start Tuesday morning. Smile

What a whirlwind of a week. I can’t believe it’s only Friday!

Posts: 17160 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! A wise choice.

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6734 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!! I agree with the others that it is the better choice.

Cheers!!

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4522 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
congrats

I think you made the right choice

good luck

Posts: 53195 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats !! I wish you the best --

going to be 'the new guy' for a while Smile

-----------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Smudge, I’m happy to hear you took the production job. 16 years ago I took a job with a grocery wholesaler. It paid less than a different, more interesting job at Olympic Arms, but the future seemed to offer more. Fast forward to two years ago. I was in charge if a distribution center that shipped out a billion dollars a year in product.

It built my resume to the point when I moved back to my hometown, my resume was a unicorn. People had heard of it, but never seen it.

I now have my dream job. I work for a company that I am valued at, I am given autonomy, and I love what I do. It’s distribution, just in a smaller scale. Did I mention that the owners love me. It’s the greatest thing that has ever happened to me, but it was made possible because of the roll of the dice of a job I wasn’t sure about.

I wish you the best brother.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4027 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
To quote that old knight...you have chosen wisely.

Sure, it’s fun to talk guns....as I worked in a gun shop in my 20’s...but it gets old quick.

Posts: 1353 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the new job. And may the honeymoon period last until you retire.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19676 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I appreciate it. Smile

I start in the morning and I'm getting everything ready. Gonna gas up the truck and make my lunch, then go to bed super early. Getting up no later than quarter to five in the morning will take some getting used to, but I've done it before. Looking forward to 4-10's. Smile

Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Thanks guys, I appreciate it. Smile

I start in the morning and I'm getting everything ready. Gonna gas up the truck and make my lunch, then go to bed super early. Getting up no later than quarter to five in the morning will take some getting used to, but I've done it before. Looking forward to 4-10's. Smile

Congrats!
Be sure to give us an update on your off day.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6324 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
Congrats!
Be sure to give us an update on your off day.

Well, tomorrow I start my third week at the facility. Actually not sure what to call it. It’s not a plant, factory is technically right but feels wrong. Anyways, things are going well. The fella I work with who is training me used to work on aircraft prior and before that, was a UH-1 mechanic in the Army back in the 70’s. Good guy, and looks every bit the man who’s been twisting wrenches for longer than I’ve been alive. Happy to be learning from him.

The crew is all pretty friendly and laid back. Everyone knows their job and does it, there’s conversation and laughter, the bosses have been away all this last week hunting and there’s no real change in pace or mood on the production line. I feel like this says a lot of good things in general. I’m learning the job and getting comfortable and listening to my choice of music or podcast while I do it and I don’t feel like there’s anything to complain about.

I do need to upgrade my footwear to something more geared for this, the surplus Durashocks I found recently have a steel toe, but by the end of the day standing on polished concrete, my feet are shot and the next morning I look like a newborn baby giraffe for a minute or so after getting out of bed. Also need to find a decent set of Bluetooth earpro. I bought a set of Peltor 500’s, and between the constant hiss when they’re powered on, the poor audio quality, lack of bass, slightly left-of-center audio positional bias and the reverb, I can’t even stand listening to a podcast on them.

Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Great to hear it's working out so well.

Other than the shoes/feet, anyway. Any chance of getting some padding put on the floor?

Posts: 15033 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:

The fella I work with who is training me used to work on aircraft prior and before that, was a UH-1 mechanic in the Army back in the 70’s. Good guy, and looks every bit the man who’s been twisting wrenches for longer than I’ve been alive. Happy to be learning from him.

I don't think you can get much better training than training from someone who's been entrusted to work on things that have to remain up in the air for the duration.

If you haven't been used to working on your feet, it will get better as your leg muscles strengthens. It is strange that they don't have padding on the concrete floor; that's like the norm these days.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19676 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I am so happy it's working out. As a side, 4/10s > 5/8s.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20830 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
I loved working four 10's.

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7632 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats. Keep guns as your passion and hobby rather than your job !

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post