SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I have two companies interested in hiring me. **Pg. 3 update**
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I have two companies interested in hiring me. **Pg. 3 update** Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I emailed the production manager back and told him the gun store would be fun, but I think they're a much better fit overall and I would like to talk with him about whatever the next step in the process is.

It just makes too much sense, after having a little bit of time to think it over.

Thank you all for the input. Smile

quote:
Originally posted by architect:
I'll also offer some unsolicited advice: do not let either company think you are using their offer for leverage to get a better offer from the other company (or vice versa). I have had candidates try this with me, and it almost always results in their disqualification. Mostly because nobody wants to take a chance that they might be hiring a manipulator. Best to not even mention that you have another offer in hand.

Yeah, I really don't want either of them to feel like they're bidding for me, that is not my intent, but rather to simply be very honest and open about what's going on. The production company gave me a formal offer the gun shop did not.

Posts: 17675 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
I'd prefer boredom to the kind of "excitement" one could encounter at a gun shop.

Here's your answer in your own words.

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6776 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go with the production job. Perhaps ask the gun store if you could work there a few hours after the production job......or on fridays or etc.....on a very part time, as needed basis.....you might get the best of both worlds.....then you can trade your limited hours a week at the gun store, for guns and take your full paycheck from the concrete place home and everybody's happy!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 21417 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
Go with the production job. Perhaps ask the gun store if you could work there a few hours after the production job......or on fridays or etc.....on a very part time, as needed basis.....you might get the best of both worlds.....then you can trade your limited hours a week at the gun store, for guns and take your full paycheck from the concrete place home and everybody's happy!!!!!!!!!

Actually that's not a bad idea.

Posts: 17675 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Has anyone suggested “production?”

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like everyone else I think the production job is they way to go. Take the extra pay of a stable job and buy yourself a firearm or guitar as a reward.

Besides, maybe you can swing a part time spot with the LGS since the production position was a night shift.

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 497 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I think I see a pattern here of some kind.

Posts: 9429 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on the production job. Definitely the correct decision.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13988 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear you went with the production job. It was the clear choice.

Better pay. Better hours. Better benefits. Better stability. Better working environment.

Posts: 33110 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never had to make this choice as I worked for my Dad for 35 years, and then went on my own. The only offer I ever received was from the local plumbing inspector to take his job when he retired. I declined as I hate paperwork but love working with my hands.

At this point, almost 20 years later, I'm regretful! That was a state job, with all the perks-- great pay, great retirement. The insurance wasn't a factor because my wife works at the same utility, and she covers me.

I always wonder if I could have put up with it to save my body, seems that I always come up with a no. But I still wonder if I should have given it at least a try.

My opinion is the you take the production job, Seems like much more chance for advancement, and at 40, I think you could go far. Good Luck with your decision!!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Go with production. The firearms industry is going crash back to earth after Nov 3rd.

It will slow down until the next attempt to regulate firearms or ammo, there will always be something driving it up and down. I’d take the production job, I think that industry will stay secure longer.

Posts: 4232 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Your own answer was in the original post. Congrats and I hope it goes well.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5507 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Production shop, out of the gate they are offering more and regular raises, I'll bet that the gun shop besides being a lower starting rate the raises will not be regular, in fact the only way you might get one is if you give them a two week notice. Been there too many times early on when I started in car dealership parts departments. In fact we had a saying "the only way you get a raise is to quit."

While it may not sound so exciting you have to consider the whole benefit package. You mentioned that the gun shop is hinting that their insurance is not too good, in fact that they were "excited" that you had outside insurance, well if they are paying a portion of your insurance tab and you don't take it, they are getting a bonus, less money they have to pay for you to work there.

Gun shops now are reaping the benefit of uncertainty now. A year ago, not so much. Either way, after the election there will be a slowdown whichever party gets in, either normalization of the market or new regulations and bans, all will affect it.

Going into a retail business, remember that last hired, first fired in a slowdown, gun business is no different. At "best" in retail, if things get slow I would not doubt that they will use the same playbook like car dealers use, the "We are reevaluating compensation packages", translated means "time to cut expenses", last car dealership I worked for played that scenario on me a couple of times. While I made good money even after the changes it still stung, especially when you saw the dealer did not reign in his spending. But they sure did not trim our work hours.

Picking up extra hours at the gun shop due to absences,vacations, etc. You cannot depend on overtime, once you do you are on a dangerous path. Once that is taken away you can guess the outcome.

Take the production job, if you want take a part time job in a gun shop to fulfill that dream.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8405 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
One sounds like a real job, the other a poorly paid working hobby.

Posts: 9834 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
The production job.

I worked at a grocery store in high school and college. The *best* part of that job was convincing me to go into a career where I didn’t have to deal with the general public.

Posts: 6580 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
The production job. It definitely sounds like the more stable career. It also sounds like the owners are vested in the employees. They offer great healthcare. That’s not cheap. They offer OT, and will allow you to work short Fridays to take long lunches. These are people that care about the employees.

Plus you have use of a forge and it sounds like they encourage your creativity. This is a no brainer.

quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I'd fly to Turks and Caicos with live ammo falling out of my pockets before getting within spitting distance of NJ with a firearm.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4366 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
The assembly job would be starting me a fair bit higher, they offer raises and there's likely a much higher ceiling for pay rate.

Everything else seems to be about equal, so there is your deciding factor. Production job wins.

Posts: 2361 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Has anyone else said retails sucks?

Not even a close contest

Posts: 4786 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
I have a good friend who works part-time in a jewelry store around the holidays. A lot of times she doesn’t make any money ‘cause her salary goes to buy stuff she saw and liked. Besides all the other good reasons folks have posted, that’s reason enough to pass on the gun store.

Posts: 7100 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you were retired and didn't NEED a job , the gun store would be the way to go .

Posts: 4272 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post