SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why are my calls suddenly being dropped around my house?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why are my calls suddenly being dropped around my house? Login/Join 
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted
I've lived here for a decade, but two months ago calls started to drop around my house. Sometimes it happens right away, but usually it's a few minutes into a call. I don't have any new electronic devices and it happens with both flip and smart phones. It primarily happens in one corner, but the neighbor on that side is 40 feet away, so I can't figure out what is causing it. Any ideas?

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 24233 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
Well, Home Depot is a few miles away, but I guess the guys waiting for work could be doing it Wink

Road Kill
Picture of Wyatt_jr
posted Hide Post
Is it Tmobile?

Posts: 1855 | Location: Chester County, PA | Registered: March 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I've noticed a drop in cell signal recently, no dropped calls here, but fewer 'bars' on the phone.
Maybe unrelated, but weaker FM reception as well.

Edit: North Houston & AT&T.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15981 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
You can call att and open a ticket. they will remotely check for errors on the tower you connect to and/or can send a tech to perform a test.

If your neighbors are having the same issue, ask them to all call att.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6896 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
Short of the provider, you didn't say who, this may help.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
I'd had Verizon for years and I live in a pretty populated area.

Edit: I just called to open a ticket and they've had to call me back three times because it dropped the calls Smile

Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
LED light bulbs?

Posts: 27162 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
The mobile providers are constantly tweaking their base stations. Power balance, radiation pattern, etc. The tweaks are intended to improve overall coverage, but sometimes a particular area suffers degradation. Complain – the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9437 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
If it's AT&T they wont do shit.
They will tell you to turn on WiFi calling.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4600 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll be interested to see what you find out. Wife and I both have I Phone 6's. She drops call at home all the time. I haven't had an issue. Makes no sense to me.

Posts: 2056 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
My landline DSL unexpectedly and not in bad weather, dropped briefly a couple of times today. However, I just saw this developing report today ... "Cellphone, internet outages reported across the U.S." http://www.cbsnews.com/news/ce...rted-across-the-u-s/

Posts: 4830 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
The mobile providers are constantly tweaking their base stations. Power balance, radiation pattern, etc. The tweaks are intended to improve overall coverage, but sometimes a particular area suffers degradation. Complain – the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

This...dial 611 a couple times a day until the RF Manager gets tired.of.the tickets......and put up a call every minute or so...then drop it, their kpi will tank.....they will fix it

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
Could it be something my neighbors are doing? They are 40 feet away, but it mostly happens on one side of the house.

Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
Verizon called to update me on my ticket and of course they said it had nothing to do with their network. They can't explain why it's suddenly happening after years in the same home and they really don't care. Outstanding customer service...

probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
Do you know anyone who uses a different service that have used their phones at your house? If they have the same issue, maybe something nearby is causing interference. If another service doesn't have the same problem, change your service to them.

Posts: 3466 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
That's something I'd like to figure out. Is there a way I could test for interference outside of having someone come over with a different carrier? Maybe an app?

Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
You may have been on the fringe to begin with and the trees have grown over the last few years or a new building or that neighbor with the tin roof. Big Grin

Remember it is line-of-sight and it doesn't take much to block the signal.

Check the coverage map for your area and service:

https://opensignal.com/

Posts: 11892 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Could be caused by a number of things. Calling the carrier and asking them to open a ticket and have it checked out is the way to go.

At my office, Verizon signal strength was nil. All I could do was text messages. One day, my phone had three bars. My admin stops by and says someone called Verizon and complained. They sent out a tech who adjusted the antenna on the nearest tower.

Posts: 6568 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post