SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tea - something completely frivolous and first world
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tea - something completely frivolous and first world Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
Drinking tea is somewhat calming for me. It tells me I'm relaxing for a moment. It tells me, just for a moment, that I'm ignoring all the stress the world throws at me.

I had found a tea here that was reasonably priced and enjoyable. PG Tips. The local market carried it and all was good.

Until this weekend - no more PG Tips. There are a variety of other brands, some very expensive but likely the same source.

Ugh, now I have to find another tea to drink. Choices include: Harney and Sons, Twinings, Taylors, Republic of Tea, Numi, Tazo, Yorkshire, Bigelow and about a dozen others.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13115 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 24341 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
PG Tips is like the Lipton of the UK

I've made iced tea with it and it's pretty good.

Posts: 34642 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I recently tried Taylors Pure Assam Tea.
It has a little more flavor than standard black teas. My wife and I like it.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16644 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
get the Yorkshire, it's delicious,

https://chandlersfirearms.com/chesterfield-armament/

Posts: 10592 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:
PG Tips

https://www.amazon.com/PG-Tips...yramid/dp/B0001LQKBQ

That’s where I’ve purchased my last few boxes. It’s hit or miss here locally, mostly miss.

Posts: 11994 | Location: Near Hooker Oklahoma, closer to Slapout Oklahoma | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Drinking tea is somewhat calming for me.

In a book I just finished ("For All the Tea in China") it stated that Great Britian had a 50 year advantage on other European nations during the industrial revolution because because their national default drink was tea. France was wine, Germany beer, etc., with most water everwhere at that time being unsafe to drink. The advantage they say was because the tea water was boiled making it safe (unlike coffee which is just heated), and that nursing mothers and factory workers were not defaulting to alcohol as the national drink. I found the book to be pretty interesting.

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1879 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have been a dedicated PG Tips tea drinker until my stepson recently brought back a variety pack of tea by Fortnum & Mason from England. We have switched completely, the breakfast, afternoon and royal blends are our favorites.

Posts: 165 | Location: Iowa | Registered: November 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
We buy Yorkshire loose leaf on Amazon. Very good. A colleague who lived in England imports Typhoo tea.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5291 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Yorkshire and Taylors on the list for next shopping trip

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13115 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When was the last time you had plain old Lipton tea? It’s not sexy but it’s a great black tea when fresh.

If you want to try something without caffeine, try some rooibos/red tea with just a little milk and sugar. My local Meijer has a house brand version that’s better than most the name brands I’ve tried.

Posts: 281 | Registered: September 12, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Short. Fat. Bald.
Costanzaesque.

Picture of TexasScrub
posted Hide Post
I'm just going to add that Matt's Honey from Exeter, CA has some avocado honey that I cannot live without when having an evening tea. I found the stuff at a corner fruit stand near the RV park I was at going up the mountain to Sequoia Nat'l Park.

Give him a shout and tell him Matthew from Texas sent ya, he'll treat you right!

Posts: 2047 | Location: Victoria, TX | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you want to try something without caffeine, try some rooibos/red tea with just a little milk and sugar. My local Meijer has a house brand version that’s better than most the name brands I’ve tried.

Our older son got kind of hooked on rooibos during a visit to South Africa. He's offered it to me several times since. I find it disgusting.

I agree that Assam seems to have more flavor than the usual English Breakfast mix which we otherwise drink.

Wife also likes Red Rose, particularly the version from Canada sold by Amazon.

Posts: 18383 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A few other brands that are known in the UK - Twinings, Tetley. Some can be obtained at WalMart, Target, and some of the international shops.

Also, if you want a black tea with a bit of orange, try Bigelow Constant Comment - one of my favorite teas.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:

Our older son got kind of hooked on rooibos during a visit to South Africa. He's offered it to me several times since. I find it disgusting.

I find I have to put some milk and sugar into it or it is pretty harsh. With the milk and sugar it starts leaning towards a Thai Iced Tea in flavor.

Posts: 281 | Registered: September 12, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More light than heat
Picture of Milliron
posted Hide Post
My wife is a tea freak. My uncle and cousins were African missionaries and turned her on to Kerecho Gold Kenyan Tea. My wife says it’s the best tea she’s ever had, and she’s been known to buy bricks of Chinese Pu-erh tea.

"Age does not bring wisdom. Often it merely changes simple stupidity into arrogant conceit. It's only advantage, so far as I have been able to see, is that it spans change. A young person sees the world as a still picture, immutable. An old person has had his nose rubbed in changes and more changes and still more changes so many times that that he knows it is a moving picture, forever changing. He may not like it--probably doesn't; I don't--but he knows it's so, and knowing is the first step in coping with it."

Robert Heinlein

Posts: 8887 | Location: West Chester, Ohio | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That is my spot.
posted Hide Post
Harney for me. I have always got 2-3 types of green, an Oolong, western Euro style black teas, Chinese black green and white teas as well as some herbal stuff like chamomile and sweet pea and Rooibos. Loose only and just like my coffee- very particular temperatures for each depending on type.

My daughter is allergic to coffee so I went all in a few years ago and probably spent $1k with Harney in a year.

I have tried other good brands that you have listed but none seem as consistent across types to me as H & S.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin

Posts: 2120 | Location: Rural Tallahassee, FL | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
I wish we could get coca leaf tea here in the states. Probably a few hurdle to cross though. I do like the occasional Yogi Tea, Darjeeling, Earl Grey (hot), green tea, Macha, Tazo, Yerba maté, etc. etc..

Posts: 3601 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Yorkshire Gold for me. Tetley's is second. PG Tips third.

Posts: 7651 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyanide357
posted Hide Post
Lots of good options for tea bags already mentioned.

I would add Typhoo as well. Since PG, Yorkshire, and Tetley has already been mentioned.

If you’re ok with ordering online (or find a local reseller) Elmwood Inn Teas out of Kentucky has some good teas - especially if you’re open to loose leaf tea. I like their Mayor’s Cup and Kentucky Blend black tea. They also have a lot of other options of single estate teas as well.

Posts: 256 | Registered: November 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post