SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    5.11 Tactical range bag vs. Midway's range bag, have you seen both?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

5.11 Tactical range bag vs. Midway's range bag, have you seen both? Login/Join 
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted
I've owned 3 or 4 of the Midway bags over the years. They were all over stressed at times, loaded down with far more ammo and odds and ends than they probably ever planned, but held up okay. But invariably what killed them all was someone using it as a rifle/pistol rest and getting the muzzle too far rearward and blowing something apart.

They're cheap enough that I don't mind replacing them every 5-8 years, but every time I've bought one, the new one seemed more cheaply made than the one before. That's my only hesitation on buying another.

The bag is big, but often still too small for my needs at times. Today I was thinking "What I need is the Midway bag, made by someone else."

I see 5.11 sell what looks to be the same bag. My hope was that it would be made better than the Midway bag, but in reality the extra $28 price difference is probably just paying for the 5.11 logo.

So I'm just wondering if anyone's handled one, AND has handled the Midway one?

(I also saw at least one, maybe two other companies selling seemingly the same bag. One for around the same price, one for a LOT more, but I didn't recognize, nor do I remember the brand)

Posts: 21106 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Edit to add: I said extra "$28", but depending on where you buy it, it can be as a much as an extra $128! Eek

Posts: 21106 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I have 5.11 bag. I cannot overload it. It will certainly perform. There is a big sale at 5.11 often that would reduce the cost difference.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I had the 5.11 bag for years and used it as a patrol bag when I was a reserve, then repurposed it as a range bag once I got hired full-time and got a take-home car. It was a great bag, but eventually age got to it, the bottom ripped open and the zipper failed. I replaced it with this https://www.amazon.com/Metabo-...id=1703765134&sr=8-2 , which was $68 when I bought it. It's $88 now, but I'd still happily pay that. It's bigger, better made, and has better internal organization than my 5.11 bag did. The only thing I miss about the 5.11 is being able to fill the outside water bottle pockets with range brass, but the fix for that is as simple as keeping a plastic bag handy. I believe they also make a smaller version if you don't want something quite so huge...I need the extra capacity because I not only have to provide for myself but also bring extra eye and ear pro, mags, etc for the guys who habitually forget.

Posts: 8583 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Years ago Sig had a deal on a range bag with a bunch of shooting accessories in it. I bought one and used the heck out of it and than ruined half of it shooting my AK over it. I still use it but it sure did get messed up. I have often wondered who had made it for Sig..

Posts: 449 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
One other thing about the Metabo tool bag I posted above: it's big enough that I can keep a Caldwell Jr. Rifle rest in there, which keeps people from shooting my bag Wink.

Posts: 8583 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
The CED bags are well known. Never had a issue with the one Midway bag I had.

Posts: 17903 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
I have used a 5.11 range bag for at least 10 years. It has the capacity and organization that I want and has proven durable. I have not handled the Midway but have friends that purchased them and are happy with the bag. I do load up my bag with 4 guns and all the attendant gear, ammo and mags so it carries a load. My clubs pistol range has parking about 50 feet from the firing line so it isn't a far carry. The bag rides in the back of my Pilot when I go to the range. What I'm saying is that the bag has a pretty easy life but carries a heavy load.

Two thoughts:
Like every company, 5.11 has changed some products. So I don't know if the current offering has changed from the one I have.
A few times a year, 5.11 offers discounts across a wide range of products. I am on the mailing list and they are good about limiting the amount of emails if you manage your cookies. Otherwise, each time you look at something they ping you about buying it.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 719 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just having a good time
Picture of ragman
posted Hide Post
I have used 5.11 bags for over 20 years and sold a ton to my LE accounts. Never had but a few issues. Defective zippers did happen a few times.

" I didn't fail the test,I just found 100 ways to do it wrong." - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1490 | Location: N. C. | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
One other thing about the Metabo tool bag ..

"Usually ships within 3 to 7 months"
That sounds promising. lol Big Grin

As I poke around the net, I find other threads about it, comparing it to bags by C.E.D and Shooter Connections, two companies I've dealt with more than a few times, that both bombarded me with Black Friday and Christmas sale offers, but I never looked at because I didn't need anything. Roll Eyes Big Grin

The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
I use either a Craftsman, Kobalt, or Huskey tool bag. Made for weight and discrete.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had the large 5.11 bag for about 7 years now and it's held up really well.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3537 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Usually ships within 3 to 7 months"
That sounds promising. lol

Yeah, I didn't catch that. When I ordered mine through Amazon it came in less than a week. They so have this version that appears to be in stock (I've never seen it in person, though, so can't say how suitable it might be as a range bag):

https://www.amazon.com/Metabo-...+%2Caps%2C163&sr=8-1

This thread actually inspired me to go clean out my bag, which was long overdue. I took about 150 rounds of center-fire and 500+ rounds of rimfire out of there, a bunch of old boxes and targets, and even a length of 2x4 that had ended up in there for some reason. Its all nicely organized again and lost about 15-20lbs, lol.

posted Hide Post
For bang for the buck, its hard to beat Midway. Especially if you wait for a sale.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16100 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I ordered a SC bag after touching base with friends, they agreed the bag is superior quality to the Midway version, but slightly different. The CED version is supposedly mostly the same, also of better quality.

Picture of RR
posted Hide Post
Not one that was mentioned, but I’m a big fan of Adventure Tool Company (ATC) out of Colorado. Met the owners at Overland Expo in NC some years back. Both retired LE and very nice people. I use their bags regularly and have bought and gifted some. Interesting features like a seatbelt type handle that actually goes down and around the bottom of the bag and up the other side for strength. Paracord as zipper pulls that are different colors on each end to quickly orient the bag. Inside the bags are a bright orange liner that makes it easy to see inside of the bag. Definitely worth considering.

Posts: 447 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: October 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Timely topic as I’m due for a new bag as well.
And I thought I was the only one who blew my bag open from the muzzle blast of my AR…

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6323 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
And I thought I was the only one who blew my bag open from the muzzle blast of my AR…

I did the first one. A friend did my second one. Nephew did the last one. Big Grin

my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives
posted Hide Post
I have a 5.11 and this:

https://www.goutdoorsproducts....ical-range-backpack/

The 5.11 never gets used.

"I don't own the night, I only operate a small franchise" - Author unknown

Posts: 2447 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
I use either a Craftsman, Kobalt, or Huskey tool bag. Made for weight and discrete.

And priced more reasonably. When I buy items like this, I try to put it in terms of how much more ammo I can buy with the money I save...I don't need a brand name.

I try to avoid anything that might suggest firearms...

Posts: 1273 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post