SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Older Ipad help please.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Older Ipad help please. Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
So my Chihuahua chewed my laptop power cable Wink
I need to use an older Ipad. I am not an apple user but do have an account. In previous attempts went so so. Not great.
The battery is weak but doable. Can it be replaced?
Someone in another thread talked about operating system updates. How does one do them and are they needed.
Any basic help in being able to use this thing to do the SF and a search the net would be helpful. Thanks guys and gals. I appreciate it.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19219 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
So my Chihuahua chewed my laptop power cable Wink
I need to use an older Ipad. I am not an apple user but do have an account. In previous attempts went so so. Not great.
The battery is weak but doable. Can it be replaced?
Depends on how old. Early iPads had replaceable batteries, but it has been a while since this was true. If the battery is replaceable, you should be able to determine so by looking closely at the unit. If there is an obvious way for the battery compartment to be opened, you are good to go, if not, probably out of luck. If you have retained the original owner's manual, this will have appropriate information in it. You will have better luck finding an aftermarket product than trying to buy from Apple. You can also find a replacement charging cable online if your current battery has life left in it. On the back of the iPad you will find model number information you will need to determine the right parts. The model number will look something like A1416.

quote:
Someone in another thread talked about operating system updates. How does one do them and are they needed.
These are done through the App Store app under the Updates heading (newer OS versions, older are in System Preferences/Settings). If no OS updates are shown, you are at the max for your device. If you are concerned about security, you need to update, and if none available, this means buying a newer unit.

quote:
Any basic help in being able to use this thing to do the SF and a search the net would be helpful.
Start with the Apple site, and don't be afraid to go too basic in introductory documentation.

quote:
Thanks guys and gals. I appreciate it.
There are tons of helpful videos and articles online that cover this stuff. Before you start investigating, make sure you know what you have (exact model # of the device and OS version) as many details will differ enough to make it frustrating to determine exactly what to do.

I should also mention that the service I have encountered at the Apple Store is first rate. If you have one near you, you might want to drop by and let them give you advice (you do not have to take their advice as it will be bereft of aftermarket cognizance, but it will be a valuable data point).

Posts: 6496 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Settings > General > Software Update to update the OS. Depending on the age, you may be limited in how recent it can update. Once the OS updates then you can update apps in App Store - click your profile icon top right. Halfway down is Update All. You should be able to browse Sigforum just using the Safari browser.

Posts: 17900 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, mine is incased in an otterbox and I am trying to figure out how to get it off so I can get the info on model, generation ect. Thanks guys. I appreciate the advice.

The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks guys, mine is incased in an otterbox and I am trying to figure out how to get it off so I can get the info on model, generation ect. Thanks guys. I appreciate the advice.

Don't bother taking it out of the otter box. Go to Settings > general > about and it will give you the model number, name, and software version. use that info in your google searches.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3854 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Model md510LL/A

How do you navigate to the previous screen? Doh

Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys up and running. Appreciate the help

Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
I’m definitely not an Apple products friend. The devices hate me back too.

You should find out if you have an original iPad or and iPad 2. AFAIK, the charging cable for those two was flat and had a large connector as opposed to the current ones that use USB-C (tiny).

I keep a hand me down iPad 2 and have discovered that i can only add apps that i i’ve owned before and older versions of apps that i own now (if earlier versions are available). Limited choice.
Fortunately, i don’t need the pad and the apps that i like are still available.

Keep in mind that overall capacity might not be up to current standards. Mine has 8gb.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12134 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Model md510LL/A

https://support.apple.com/kb/SP662?locale=en_US

Looks like you got a Gen 4 iPad that was released back in 2012. Battery is not considered user replaceable. But that doesn't mean you can find someone to replace it or replace it yourself.

I doubt Apple would replace it as it has probably already been listed as end of life.

You can probably find a shop to do it if you look around. Maybe a UBreak/WeFix shop.

It does use the Lightning connector which is good. Personally I would head over to Amazon and buy whatever Anker brand cable you want.

Posts: 6627 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Thx, it took all day to charge to 100% but finally got there. But it was completely dead. As I said it seems to be working just fine now and I am getting to where I can use it. You guys gave some useful tips to make it so. I am grateful.

Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Glad to see you got it working. If it turns out you do need to replace the battery you would have to pry the halves apart and, perhaps, solder in a new one. A repair shop might be a better option as carelessness with the soldering iron, or not using heat sinks appropriately could turn it into a brick. This kit should work.

To clear up confusion about the Model number, the Model ID as reported in the Settings is actually called by Apple the "Part number," and is used for inventory management, not technical data. The actual model number, which describes the exact hardware configuration is imprinted on the back cover. It looks like A#### and a single "Part number" can apply to multiple hardware assemblies. If you are trying to match specific hardware, use the A number, not the Model ID. This is not just on iPads, but applies to most Apple devices. Why Apple did this, I have no idea, but it is confusing and leads to avoidable errors by their customers. Note that most Apple users don't know the difference between the part number and the model number and so web searching on the former may not be as useful. More information at this URL.

Posts: 6496 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Before replacing the battery on one that old, consider spending that money on a newer used one with a battery already replaced, or from Apple refurb.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12431 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A local business replaced ipad and iphone batteries, until recently. They no longer replace ipad batteries.

“The batteries available to us sometimes catch fire, so we stopped replacing ipad batteries. Iphones are still OK”.The owner said.

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Thx, it took all day to charge to 100% but finally got there. But it was completely dead. As I said it seems to be working just fine now and I am getting to where I can use it. You guys gave some useful tips to make it so. I am grateful.

A local shop that fixes phones and laptops should be able to replace a Gen-4 I-Pad battery for about 60 bucks.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FishOn:
quote:

A local shop that fixes phones and laptops should be able to replace a Gen-4 I-Pad battery for about 60 bucks.

Thank you.