SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Shark fin roof antenna help
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shark fin roof antenna help Login/Join 
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted
My daughter was backing out of the garage and got in a hurry. She caught the shark fin antenna on the overhead door. The cover was popped off and laying on the floor. I attempted to put it back on but there is a slight gap in the back between the roof and the fin and I’m afraid water will get in there and cause some damage. Any suggestions on how to get it to seal down to the roof and have a water tite seal??

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most of them screw in from underneath and are plastic. She probably yank the screws out of the plastic and you'll probably have to replace it, in order for it to be perfect. There are different silicones and such that you can use between the antennae and the car, if the factory gasket is not intact. If the screws are stripped, you will probably have to silicone it to the roof to hold it down or replace. If you do silicone it, carefully hold it down and put blue painters tape on the car paint around it, then silicone it, then with a wet finger make the silicone into a nice bead, then carefully yank the tape before it has dried.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
Thank you. This particular fin doesn’t screw on, it just snaps in place with retainers at front and rear and “teeth” on the side to bite into the antenna that comes through the roof. I already dropped the back of the headliner and look at it from below.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post