SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What do I do with live blue crabs?!?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do I do with live blue crabs?!? Login/Join 
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
All of these ideas are great-

I always like the NC version we did on the coast. This is the closest to my mom's recipe I have on hand-

Down East Crab Stew

(fried biscuit dough croutons can replace the white bread listed in the recipe).

Bill Smith's Crab Stew
Courtesy of Bill Smith

Serves a crowd

1/2 pound sidemeat or fatback

2 medium onions, peeled and cut into large dice

2 dozen hard crabs, cleaned and halved

1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

4 bay leaves

1 teaspoon thyme

6 baking-sized potatoes, peeled and cut into eighths

3/4 cups all-purpose corn meal, stirred into two cups of cold water

Salt and pepper to taste

Sliced white bread

Render the sidemeat in a large stock pot. Do this slowly, as it has a low smoking point and you want to extract as much fat as possible before it gets too brown. It will resemble crisp bacon in color when ready. Add the onions and saute until soft but not brown. Add the crabs and cover with cold water. Add the red pepper, bay and thyme. Bring to a boil, then turn back to a simmer. Cook for half an hour, and then add the potatoes. Cook until they are well done, 15 to 20 minutes more. Turn up the heat a little (but you don't want a hard boil) and stir in the cornmeal and water. This will be a little difficult because of the crabs, but you need to mix the slurry in thoroughly. Bring the stew back to a simmer until it begins to thicken. Add salt and pepper to taste.

To serve, put a slice or two of bread in the bottom of large soup bowls and ladle the stew, crabs and all, on top.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Let me count the ways...

Stuffed fried crab shells
Crab stuffed shrimp
Shrimp & crab stuffed broiled flounder
Crab cakes
Crab au gratin
Shrimp, crab & oyster gumbo
Crab stew

I could go on forever...

T-Boy

Posts: 499 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: September 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Suppressed:
Don't cook the dead ones.
If you don't cook the dead ones, do you eat them raw, like oysters?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by Suppressed:
Don't cook the dead ones.
If you don't cook the dead ones, do you eat them raw, like oysters?
They're alive when they go in the boiling pot

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I prefer to steam them right after I pour Old Bay seasoning all over them.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Last time I had crab, it was a just dead huge King Crab at Bob Chinn's crab house, outside Chicago, cooked "Garlic Style". Best I ever had. I had half of an over 9 pound crab. It's the first time, except at a buffet, when I could say I had enough crab.

Posts: 214 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 01, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
By the time you read this, I hope you've either cooked them and enjoyed eating them, or be ready to dispose of them. Do not eat a crab that doesn't die in the steam pot.

+1 on the Old Bay recipes. I lived in the Baltimore area for several years and really miss the blue crabs steamed in Old Bay. Get a group of folks together along with some blue crabs, beer and little crab crackin' mallets and you have a great social event. Lots of conversation while shelling your meal. In fact, you probably burn more calories shelling crab meat than you consume. Then, grab a burger on the way home!

Enjoy!

Posts: 282 | Location: Central PA | Registered: November 11, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mr. Peteroniman
posted Hide Post
i'll pop off the shell, remove the dead man's fingers and guts - then throw them in a pot of boiling water and Crab Boil (Zataran's is what I use)

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed.
For after all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog.”
― Charles M. Schulz

Posts: 2012 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: June 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post