SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New USS St. Louis
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New USS St. Louis Login/Join 
Banned for being
genuinely stupid
posted Hide Post
Go Navy!

Posts: 340 | Location: Derby City KY. | Registered: April 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Is that R2D2 that I see, going along for the ride?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30696 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

SeaRAM...replacing Phalanx CIWS

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:

Someone needs to paint a helmet and a warrior face on the front of that!

Posts: 23489 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:

Someone needs to paint a helmet and a warrior face on the front of that!

Or yellow with Minion eyes/goggles.

Posts: 4020 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
Looks like a 50 cal or similar is mounted next to the guy on the mounted binoculars?

It’s a M240B (7.62mm belt-fed machinegun that replaces the M60). If you zoom in, you can see the front sight and the rear part of the shoulder stock.

There’s another mount without any gun mounted just above the rear set of life rafts, and most likely a set of mounts at the stern on either side, but the pics don’t show them. The posts for the mounts are pained black. The guns and soft mounts (chassis that helps reduce recoil), if there are 50s for the ship.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11290 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My only apparent accomplishment in life is being banned from an ancient forum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
Those ships are floating monuments to the disfunction inside the Navy. Among many things, those ships set the navy backwards by at least 10-years.

Well, that's the nicest way of putting it. Somebody slept with a contractors wife after doing a lot of blow to come up with something as stupid as the LCS.

Posts: 166 | Location: Washington State | Registered: December 13, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When stationed on the USS Dale we were on a Med cruise. See those big black rubber fenders hanging over the side? We dropped one when in port in Alexandria, Egypt. Sunk like a rock. Never recovered it. Same port, same time we had a dead cow float in and, in essence, take the place of the missing fender. Other side of town the locals were bathing in the same water.

Interesting place.

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Those ships are floating monuments to the disfunction inside the Navy. Among many things, those ships set the navy backwards by at least 10-years.

Can you expand on this for us non-Navy types?

Posts: 6623 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very expensive. Supposed to be modular. Anti air, sub, surface modules. No modules and what they have makes a very expensive very non capable missile sponge.

Posts: 7539 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Broadside:
quote:

Can you expand on this for us non-Navy types?

It's an endless list of bad things but, here's some:

- There was no specific mission focus when it was conceived. All ships prior have an outline of what it's main mission and secondary missions are. LCS had no concept of operations developed, thus the mission modules which were supposed to make it versatile, actually resulted in the ship being good at nothing. The anti-mine module never came about after 10+ years and billions spent on research. The anti-submarine module is useless as both ships use noisy water-jets instead of props and the internal machinery isn't silenced for listening in the water. The anti-surface module is limited to a pop-gun (57mm) for a canon and a couple 30mm guns. The Hellfire anti-surface missile has a range of 5-6miles, not even over-the-horizon. The Naval Strike Missile has a range of 100miles but, the ships don't have a decent fire-control radar to take advantage of that range. The only anti-air capability is the last ditch SeaRAM system.

- The LCS was supposed to incorporate modern machinery, methodology and enough computers to monitor all systems which theoretically should reduce the number of watch standards being manned, hence a smaller crew. The reality is these smaller crews were left with doing twice the work normally asked as sailors not only had to do their own rating but, somebody else's as well. The Navy thought that utilizing Blue & Gold crews like submariners they could keep crews fresh and on constant rotation, the reality is they ended up with burnt-out crews. The navy has had to increase the ships complement while continuously evaluating the workload each sailor is burdened with. All sailors know that Navy ships require redundant crews because battle damage will eliminate some members and you'll not only need the additional hands to replace your losses but, also to help with damage control. 7 of the first 8-ships all suffered mechanical failures, half of them were because of sailor error.

- The ships are made of aluminum, built to commercial standards not to surface combatant standards. No paint is applied, which gives the ships their rough appearance. Rumor has it that an admiral liked the cost savings of not having to paint the ships and thought the raw aluminum look made it look like a stealth fighter's matte finish Roll Eyes yeah, no shit. Never mind the soot marks from the side exhausts, very ship-shape. Aluminum as we saw during the Falklands, burns quite hot when heated..like when an anti-ship missile detonates or, fuel is ignited. Without any hardening or, reinforced framing, the LCS' aren't structurally any different than luxury yachts or, fishing boats. One of the ships, on the way to its new homeport, prior to commissioning, cracked its hull after bouncing inside the Panama Canal.

- Both ships are limited in range, as they can barely make 4,000 miles without the need for a fill-up. In other words, they can barely cross the Atlantic in a single push, navy ships don't run dry or, even get to half-way so, they need to have an oiler to pull-up along side constantly. Meanwhile, being built at the same time, the Coast Guard's similarly sized National Security Cutter, can make 12,000 miles with its internal tanks full.

- The first deployment for the LCS came...nearly 8-years after the first ship was commissioned. Lengthy issues with machinery, tech on the fritz, repeated hull inspections, lack of weapons or, mission limitations, continued to push the LCS to red-headed step-child status and the Navy having to create a separate command structure for it. The first four ships are test beds, the next 6 are for training, which leaves the remaining for deployment, which has been very limited to date. No other class of ships have had so many hulls, over such a long period of time, dedicated to non-deployment/non-combat status.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
quote:
. Meanwhile, being built at the same time, the Coast Guard's National Security Cutter, can make 12,000 miles with its internal tanks

The irony is, buying a NSC with SeaRAM and Harpoon would provide the Navy with a far more capable ship than their own design.

quote:
All sailors know that Navy ships require redundant crews because battle damage will eliminate some members and you'll not only need the additional hands to replace your losses but, also to help with damage control.

The Army ran into similar problems when it tried to go from 4-man to 3-man tank crews.

An auto loader works fine when it works, but when it breaks it has to be fixed rather than simply replaced the way a crew member can be. Also an auto loader can’t stand watch, help with maintenance or do any of the other things a fourth crew man can... especially on a leader tank where you really only have 2 crew with an auto loader... the LT doesn’t have time to help break track.

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 21542 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post