SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New USS St. Louis
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New USS St. Louis Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted
Just cruised by. Not yet commissioned but enjoyed seeing it.

Posts: 17896 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
So on every carrier I was on and on every cruise, I counted the number of life rafts then multiplied by 25. It was at that point I realized A LOT of people would be F. U. C. Teed.

And there's only six on that little boat. Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
needs paint,that ship with the dents in the hull looks like a ww2 ship.

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
So on every carrier I was on and on every cruise, I counted the number of life rafts then multiplied by 25. It was at that point I realized A LOT of people would be F. U. C. Teed.

"The warship relies on a base operating crew of about fifty personnel (it can operate with as few as fifteen) and has a Blue and Gold mission crew numbering seventy-five. The ship's endurance is approximately twenty-one days at sea before requiring a complete resupply."

Link

Posts: 9053 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We Are...MARSHALL
Picture of armedmd
posted Hide Post
Just curious but why is she flying a Canadian flag?

Build a man a fire and keep him warm for a night, set a man on fire and keep him warm the rest of his life.

Posts: 1894 | Location: WV | Registered: December 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Port side has the Canadian flag, starboard side the US flag. Because she's in Canadian waters, maybe?

IIRC, this class vessel is made in Wisconsin.

Posts: 9053 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Cruising the border. Behind it is Canada.

Posts: 17896 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Built in the Yoop!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16100 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Looks like a 50 cal or similar is mounted next to the guy on the mounted binoculars?

The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:

"The warship relies on a base operating crew of about fifty personnel (it can operate with as few as fifteen) and has a Blue and Gold mission crew numbering seventy-five. The ship's endurance is approximately twenty-one days at sea before requiring a complete resupply."

Link

Not buying it.

Every navy ship I've deployed on had just enough rafts to account for 50% of the the crew.

It was about the only thing I didn't like having shoved in my face. And don't get me started about NBC warfare.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like they've been running hard, judging by the 2 exhaust soot stains on the hull side.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
That thing will be a riot to its arch rivals.

Posts: 2522 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Why is a US navel vessel flying a Canadian flag as well as a American flag ? You really have to look for the US flag == looks like Canadian flag on left side of center with the US flag right of center. .....Not familar with naval protocol.............. drill sgt.

Posts: 2013 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Those ships are floating monuments to the disfunction inside the Navy. Among many things, those ships set the navy backwards by at least 10-years.

Posts: 14658 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SeaCliff
posted Hide Post
They just commissioned the newest one will be based here in San Diego.
USS Kansas City.

https://timesofsandiego.com/mi...-san-diego-ceremony/

Posts: 1894 | Location: San Diego | Registered: October 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I wasn't sure what Corsair was talking about, but my Googlefu found this Popular Mechanics article. Cluster fuck is an understatement. Decommisioning ships that were commissioned in 2008 or more recent as they are non-deployable since base set-up can only defend against air attacks and the so-called "mission modules" still aren't ready.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23286 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drill sgt:
Why is a US navel vessel flying a Canadian flag as well as a American flag ? You really have to look for the US flag == looks like Canadian flag on left side of center with the US flag right of center. .....Not familar with naval protocol.............. drill sgt.

When a vessel has cleared customs of a foreign country, you fly their flag (in addition to your home state flag) as a courtesy and to let that country know that you've cleared customs.....otherwise, you'd fly a solid yellow quarantine flag indicating that you are in foreign waters and haven't touched land yet and haven't cleared customs (and immigration) yet.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
I wasn't sure what Corsair was talking about, but my Googlefu found this Popular Mechanics article. Cluster fuck is an understatement. Decommisioning ships that were commissioned in 2008 or more recent as they are non-deployable since base set-up can only defend against air attacks and the so-called "mission modules" still aren't ready.

The issues with this duel-class of ships is long and dubious; you can go here and track 10-years worth of issues and problems.

Posts: 14658 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My college roommate ran a chunk of the LCS (Littoral combat system, ship, not sure) program his last tour. We don’t talk about it because the program and the ships are useless. We would have been better served by buying patrol boats with guns. The Navy and money are like my wife and money. No real sense and their closets are full of regrettable purchases.

Posts: 7539 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Pity it's a Little Crappy Ship (LCS).

What a disaster they have all been.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post