SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Another cool tool … ;)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another cool tool … ;) Login/Join 
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted
Finally made the decision to pull the trigger on something. I decide it was worth the juice.

Everything is back ordered, so it may be a month or more for the build.

3hp 240V 2x72 belt grinder with a surface grinder attachment (many more attachments but that’s the big one).

The surface grinder is a huge value to me, however the overall structure of this belt grinder is immensely more flexible than the one I have today. The whole assembly will rotate 90° from the vertical to horizontal, also small contact fixtures to very large. The old one will be relegated to a specific task.

Now the wait begins ….

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Link please ya big tease.

Posts: 11841 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Come on Gene… Wink

I was gonna milk this puppy… At least for three or four weeks… But… I’m so excited I can hardly contain myself.

Here you go. Big Grin

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
“Shipped”. Smile

~Robert A. Heinlein

Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
OMG and I thought getting the hang of the TSProf K-03 was a challenge!

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8356 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
These are not as overwhelming as they look, at least for me.

Just have fun, Mine (both) were not as fancy!! Living vicariously through you!!!!!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sybo:
These are not as overwhelming as they look, at least for me.

Just have fun, Mine (both) were not as fancy!! Living vicariously through you!!!!!

I’m stoked. Smile

Having a nice big table, all kinds of flexibility, along with a 14” contact wheel down to a quarter inch. The surface grinder attachment is just pure gravy.

Rethinking dust abatement currently.

I also have a bench grinder that I want to turn into a buffing wheel… That should be straightforward? No? Just take the guards off?

~Robert A. Heinlein

Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
Man that is cool. I've been thinking of building one of these belt grinders for a while. Never seen a surface grinder attachment; that could be really useful. Those 2" belt grinders can remove some metal in a hurry.

I'd really like a legit surface grinder too.

Converting a bench grinder to a buffer poses some issues if the rated RPM is not in the correct range.

What are you making with this stuff?

Posts: 1568 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shiftyvtec:
Man that is cool. I've been thinking of building one of these belt grinders for a while. Never seen a surface grinder attachment; that could be really useful. Those 2" belt grinders can remove some metal in a hurry.

I'd really like a legit surface grinder too.

Converting a bench grinder to a buffer poses some issues if the rated RPM is not in the correct range.

What are you making with this stuff?

Mostly just knives.

I’ve looked at real surface grinders, and they get expensive quick; often quite heavy too!

The guys that started this company did exactly that… They were building their own belt grinder for the aerospace industry/themselves. A mentor suggested that it was such a good design that they sell it. Now that is their full-time gig. AmeriBrade by Eric and Keven

Made this small 9.5” stainless steel chef’s sword for my youngest; cryogenic heat treat. (Not quite finished when the photo was taken, but had an edge to test.)

O1 tool steel w Cambodian Rosewood scales. Unfortunately the scales are quite brittle and cracked, so I could not sell. Became my own personal shop knife. It now has a proper edge and a choil added.

(O1 (oil quench tool steel 1) is not shallow hardening due to the chromium in the high carbon steel so no hamons. But tough as hell. Not D2 tough, but good enough.)

~Robert A. Heinlein

Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
Very nice work. A 2x72 grinder has been on my list for a while. Once you get familiar with the surface grinder feature, I'm sure it will make achieving symmetry on opposing sides of the blade a breeze.

Posts: 1568 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shiftyvtec:
Very nice work. A 2x72 grinder has been on my list for a while. Once you get familiar with the surface grinder feature, I'm sure it will make achieving symmetry on opposing sides of the blade a breeze.

That’s really the trick here… Hand grinding always leave some variability in the primary bevels. I am a meat popsicle.

Being able to take that out removes one more (quenching variable) risk.

~Robert A. Heinlein

Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
After a long back order,… surface grinder attachment arrived last night. Still waiting on a 14 inch diameter contact wheel.

~Robert A. Heinlein

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Congrats. it looks amazing. Cool

Posts: 22907 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Thank you… That’s about 50 pounds of steel and aluminum sitting there. Gotta go rack it up.

~Robert A. Heinlein

Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post

A few busted knuckles later…

~Robert A. Heinlein

Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
I just watched the video. Quite the awesome attachment.

ETA;
The chef sword you made for your son is absolutely amazing. What a cool knife.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Thank you, beancooker…

Appreciate the kind words.

Here is the platin and nice large work table. (I have a hand made Bulgarian jig made out of brass sitting on top.)

I should take a photo of the older Wilton machine I was using. The contrast I think would be stark in the upgrade. Smile

~Robert A. Heinlein