SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Chevrolet recalls every Chevy Bolt made
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chevrolet recalls every Chevy Bolt made Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
This ain’t GM’s first rodeo. Check the history of the EV-1.

If I had an extra $10-15k to blow, I *just* might buy one of these and go park it in the barn and revisit it in about 20 years.

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
There companies that will recycle the batteries:

https://americanbatterytechnol.../services/recycling/

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
About 2% of all vehicle sales are electric. So you will need 50 times as much batteries, even if you are able to achieve 100% recycling, which is impossible.

So 50 times the amount of lithium mining and processing as now. Never mind the nickel, cobalt and additional copper needed.

Very green.

Posts: 1505 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
I'm not really believing any of this go green stuff until I see Cat EV bulldozers and trucks for mining. Otherwise, the ICE is still king and will be for a few decades more whether they like it or not.

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:

I seriously can't make this stuff up! There's a whole mess of stupid people out there!

Yeah, nuts and Bolts.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RichardC,

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15898 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Makes the 1974 Pinto look good.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30693 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Another recalled Chevy Bolt parked indoors catches fire in Georgia

Regrettably, a 2019 Chevrolet Bolt owner in Cherokee County, Georgia, gained an intimate understanding of why the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and GM recommend parking and charging your Bolt outside. We don't have many details, but via Inside EVs, the Cherokee County fire and emergency services got a call to respond to a home fire just after 9 a.m. The resident told the firefighters his smoke alarms started going off, and he traced the source to a 2019 Bolt parked in an adjoining garage. Firefighters doused the fire and got the car out of the garage, rescuing the situation soon enough so that the only secondary fallout was to a Dodge Ram parked alongside that "received some smoke damage." The Bolt, however, was toast — another EV sacrificed to battery chemistry and rare defects.

Toward the end of August, GM recalled every Bolt and Bolt EUV ever sold around the world. Furthermore, the automaker advised every Bolt owner to take a few steps to lessen the chance of their car catching fire, such as setting the maximum battery charge to 90%, recharging the Bolt after each drive to keep the battery from running down — and, again, parking the car outside. As we've seen over the past few years with the Takata airbag inflator recall, however, the instructions only work when they're followed. And even then, that doesn't prevent fires, as Jesus Damian discovered when his Bolt went up in flames overnight while parked outdoors in Sacramento, torching the two cars next to it as well, one of them a Maserati.

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/an...arked-123500442.html

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, and I thought only VW TDI Diesels were getting a bad rap.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LG batteries are in several electric vehicles so it will be interesting if other problems arise. I know we focus on every EV fire but to be fair there’s been lots of ICE fires as well They don’t get any attention since they’re not the new kid on the block or so politically divisive. BMW has had a bunch of them but most people would never know.

With that said I still won’t buy an EV for several years until I’m confident in the battery technology. I have been using this same technology for almost 20 years (RC airplanes/Helis) and have seen first hand how nasty the fire is when something goes wrong.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1s1k,

Posts: 3924 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
Th news last night said do not park a Bolt within 50 feet of another vehicle. At least the Pinto had to be hit in the rear to ignite.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
We had a Tesla crash here a month or so ago. Instantly caught fire. Double fatality. How they were charging it up here is a mystery.

Any home site with 220 voltage available will charge up a Tesla it something like 8-12 hours so that's how they are charging them.

I am approaching 67 years old and I won't be around too much longer. So I won't see the day when gasoline is banned or the day when the power grid in North America totally collapses. But I do expect that both will happen and when it does perhaps at that point people will discover just how badly they have been scammed for the the past 40 years and the next 40.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5651 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
What a joke. Meanwhile, the rest of us fill our tank and haul ass wherever we want.

When "save the planet" morphs into "I can't drive my car to work and back"

I think that is the plan. Force public transit by eliminating effective personal transport beyond a bicycle. Brought to you by people with jello for brains

Posts: 4020 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MrToad
posted Hide Post
Really just a large-scale version of those cell phone batteries catching fire in Asia a few years back.

If you like religion, laws or sausage, then you shouldn't watch them being made.

Posts: 3342 | Location: SW Ohio | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
Wow, and I thought only VW TDI Diesels were getting a bad rap.

(Snicker!) Big Grin

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MrToad:
Really just a large-scale version of those cell phone batteries catching fire in Asia a few years back.

The individual cells often ARE laptop batteries, stacked in layers into modules (with temp control layers between cells), then the modules are grouped into larger packs for vehicular use. I've seen the module lines (have some at work actually) and the pack lines being built at assembly line suppliers.

I've even seen battery cell making machines, that more or less look like a giant Rube Goldberg toilet paper machine. But the paper is "crinkly".

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Lefty Sig,

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post