SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    SOS with burger for dinner
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SOS with burger for dinner Login/Join 
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted
Bought a side of organic grass fed beef last year, and the burger is great. Wife won't eat it, so I make SOS for myself every now and then. Saute chopped onions in butter, brown burger, season with garlic powder, black and red pepper. Add a tablespoon or so of flour, and more butter if needed. Then whole milk, a dollop of beef soup base and some wooster. Serve over toasted sour dough. I can make it in ten minutes.

It fulfills the cravings for both biscuits and gravy and chicken fried steak.

Posts: 7510 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That sounds wonderful but I have to digress. Nothing fulfills the cravings for chicken fried steak except chicken fried steak. Big Grin

Posts: 680 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
I should have said it fulfills the cravings in a "kiss my sister" kind of way.

Posts: 7510 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
That’s standard Army Creamed Beef, a must have dish at every breakfast I ever cooked. SOS seems to be associated with dried beef but I never saw it once while serving as an Army cook, it was 100% ground beef.

The secret is onion powder, beef base powder and Worcestershire sauce as the OP stated. Without those it’s just too bland.

Posts: 34012 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love SOS with ground beef. Have had it many times, and it never gets old. Very fillin' also.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
That’s standard Army Creamed Beef, a must have dish at every breakfast I ever cooked. SOS seems to be associated with dried beef but I never saw it once while serving as an Army cook, it was 100% ground beef.

The secret is onion powder, beef base powder and Worcestershire sauce as the OP stated. Without those it’s just too bland.

What's the biggest batch you ever made? For me it is two servings. What kind of milk do you use in an Army kitchen?

Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I used to love it! Haven't had it since about 1979!

https://www.allrecipes.com/rec...ipped-beef-on-toast/

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38824 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbslinger:

What's the biggest batch you ever made? For me it is two servings. What kind of milk do you use in an Army kitchen?

Standard Army recipe cards are all set up for 100 servings, I’ve made 200-300 serving batches. Recipe uses powered milk but we’d use fresh if we had it.

Posts: 34012 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

"Same Ol' Stuff"? What a sheltered child. Everyone knows it stands for "Shit On a Shingle."

Tony

Posts: 324 | Registered: December 18, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:

Standard Army recipe cards are all set up for 100 servings, I’ve made 200-300 serving batches. Recipe uses powered milk but we’d use fresh if we had it.

About 4 OZ of dry ingredients per serving.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

About 4 OZ of dry ingredients per serving.
I never knew anybody who only had one serving. Two was the absolute minimum, most people took more than that.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30850 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tonydec:
quote:

"Same Ol' Stuff"? What a sheltered child.
Everyone knows it stands for "Shit On a Shingle."

Our meals were 1942 (packaged) powdered eggs, powdered milk and burger you couldn't stab with a fork.
Korea, Okinawa 1956-59.

Posts: 31 | Location: north-central Florida | Registered: February 12, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wasn't a cook, though I did pretend to be one once (long irrelevant story), but we had SOS both in the States and in Vietnam and it sure wasn't made with ground beef.

Chipped beef was what they used and I never, ever, knew anyone who liked it. Maybe someone, somewhere did, but all the guys I knew hated it.

Haven't tasted it since 1968 and I will leave this world still hating it.

Bob

Posts: 1595 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
When we were kids our mother made it sometimes, with the sliced salt beef in a jar. We liked it, but I think it was probably because she referred to it by its vulgar name and we thought that was scandalous. Wink

Posts: 27012 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Forget the bread.

Get some mighty fine delicious biscuits, cover & smother, & go to town on it.

In the morning with a cup of mighty fine coffee.
In the evening with a might fine iced tea.

Life is good. Make it so.

And don’t forget the bacon!

Posts: 11894 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Spread over two pieces of toast or over a open face biscuit and a over easy fried egg and several dashes of tabasco .... Large cup of coffe towash it down....................stick to your ribs meal............................ drill sgt.

Posts: 2048 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Without fail, they would always serve SOS on the first day of going out to sea. People would inevitably get sea sick and be hurling back aft.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19779 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
Without fail, they would always serve SOS on the first day of going out to sea. People would inevitably get sea sick and be hurling back aft.

Don't need to invest much in food that doesn't pass all the way through the system by the proper route.

would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post
life is too short to bother with SOS

Posts: 2849 | Location: USA | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sse:
life is too short to bother without SOS

Posts: 13693 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post