SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Xbox one X, worth the price tag and the upgrade?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Xbox one X, worth the price tag and the upgrade? Login/Join 
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted
I have owned the three iterations of the Xbox, the original, the 360 and now the One. Thruth is I hardly play anymore but when I do it is almost exclusively FPS campaign mode, offline.

Wondering if the X is going to blow the One out of the water or if I should curve my expectations and wait for the next gen.
Thought about posting in The Lair but then considered giving a larger audience the opportunity to comment. Not all are gamers and maybe there is people using the Xbox as media centers and whatnots.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12111 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Have a 4k TV ? If not, wait until you get one of those and re-evaluate.

Posts: 17889 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Not at all worth it IMO. If you didn’t already have current gen yes but as it stands, wait for next gen.

Posts: 13743 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
The X is awesome, and it is better than the One.

Is it worth buying if you are a casual gamer and already have an xbox one? No

And if you don't have a 4K TV with HDR you aren't getting anything out of it.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't get it unless you want 4K.

I have it and a 4k tv. I don't play or watch enough tv to be impressed.

Posts: 1393 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Do you have a 4k Tv?
Is it 60+ inches?
Are you the kind of person who demands the highest resolution possible?
Do you need a player that can run 4k UHD HDR discs?

If yes to all, it’s worth it. Ive got a 65 inch Sony in my living room with a One X. I moved the old 60 inch 1080p Sony and X Box One to the bedroom so my wife can watch whatever reality TV shes addicted to this week. Playing the same games on both systems, the difference is noticeable, but not earth shaking. On Assassins Creed Origins for example the HDR makes a much bigger difference than the higher resolution, but its not like the HD version looks like crap. Call of Duty Ww2 looks crisper, but again, its not a huge difference.

Microsoft has apparently leaked that the next console will release in 2020. Unless a new slew of games that come out that are specifically designed for the X’s features (which they currently aren't) id stick with the One i already had until then. If i was buying a new console id buy the X.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
I have a 4k TV gathering dust at my sister's place. Been sitting there since last xmas.

Wondering how to put the TV to good use.

Regular cable signal is terrible (slightly better than VHS but awful once you go past a 20' CRT ) but I won't pay extra for the HD quality, contents are not worth it. I rather watch Netflix and movies over the internet.

Think I'll hook up my 360 and the One and see how I feel about them on a 60' screen.

0-0

Posts: 12111 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would say not worth it unless you're playing online, where fast rendering really matters. We probably get next gen consoles Holiday 2019; I would wait and get a next gen rig, or snatch up the Xbox One X when it drops in price.

May our caskets be made of hundred-year oak, and may we plant those trees tomorrow.

Posts: 814 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: January 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Yes, many cable companies compress the hell out of their signal (especially the SD channels) and the “HD”is often fairly degraded compared to a true HD source. Both Netflix and Amazon are streaming video in true HD and select titles in 4k with HDR. Planet Earth 2 in UHD HDR is impressive. Youve got to have a good data plan and a fast service though. Streaming UHD content eats up massive amounts of data.

Even with the X Box One though i cant stream UHD content. For that i have to use the apps built into my tv. I keep a couple of UHD titles on disk (such as the above mentioned Planet Earth 2 and John Wick) for when i want to impress someone. As it stands right now, real physical media will always be higher quality than streaming. Its a bandwith issue.

I guess rhe way i’d sum it up is the difference between HD and 4k is nowhere near as dramatic as the difference between SD and HD and might not be noticeable unless you have a very large screen or sit very close. There is currently no content for X Box that was written specificslly for the extra power in the X. The X content is all upgraded resolutions and HDR effects which may or may not be something youd notice unless compared side by side. Id save my money for the next console.

That all goes out the window if they start releasing titles specifically designed for the extra power and only running on the original system in a downgraded mode.

As far as faster render speed in muktiplayer goes, that may be true, but even the nicer 4k sets have higher latency than the 1080p sets. I could run Call of Duty on my old TV in standard mode eith no perceptible controller lag. My 4k TV has to be on game mode or the lag is very noticeable. While in gsme mode you dont notice the lag, testing shows that it is still significantly slower.

But im a guy who owns 2 60+ inch TVs and X Boxes. Im sure not going to tell you not to buy one of you want it. Smile

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Thank you guys, the word of Reason has been heard loud and clear. I might want an X but really do not need it. Makes little or no sense.

So you might have an idea of availability, you probably can grab ALL the Blu-ray titles availably in this country and run with them in your arms. Really not many and released in small quantities.

Speaking of Wick, I definitely wanted to own both of them in BR ,but only the last one got released in BR.

Thank you once more.

0-0