SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any Moto Guzzi Aficionados?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any Moto Guzzi Aficionados? Login/Join 
Picture of ridewv
posted
I've always admired Guzzis maybe because they're Italian, maybe just because they're somewhat different. My first Moto Guzzi was way back in 1972 a V7 Sport, more recently came a 2007 Griso 1100 and I regret selling both of them. Well last Fall I noticed a used one on the floor of the local Japanese motorcycle store, it was a 2016 V7 Stone with not even 600 miles but over priced (I felt) at $6,500. I think it's the least expensive bike Guzzi offers listing for about $8,500 new. To Guzzi's credit they do manufacture them at their factory in Italy rather than in Thailand like Ducati and Triumph do with their lower price models. Anyway I fought the temptation to buy it.

When I was in the store a couple weeks ago I noticed they still had it so of course I had to look it over and sit on it again. Nicely styled standard motorcycle but I've never cared for matte paint on a motorcycle. Lifting it off the stand it felt so light, the bars were not too high or too low they seemed perfect, seat nice and flat which makes it easy to slide back and up to change position, and (unlike I find on most Guzzi's) the pegs were low enough. Thinking to myself this could be a cool little bike it's comfortable, relatively light, shaft drive, cast wheels so tubeless tires, easy to work on, since it's a 2016 has the 6-speed transmission, it's almost new,..... no I don't need it. As I'm getting off the sales manager comes over "I'll make you a deal on that bike". "Uh well it'd have to be a good deal 'cause I don't need it." He goes to his desk and comes back "I'll do $4,500". I thought what the hell for that price I'll take it so tell him so specifying $4,500 is the price no fees.

As they were loading it in my truck he brought out a box, I looked in it and there were the stock mufflers (the previous owner had fitted polished stainless, Agostini slip-ons which according to the receipt paid $929 for). No wonder it sounded so nice.

Anyway I'm really enjoying this bike, still trying to adjust to the flat paint though.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7102 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of K0ZZZ
posted Hide Post
I'd love to get a Guzzi someday. I'd love that California Touring in the Red, for some reason that just says to me it's the ultimate motorcycle for me.

... Chad

http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper! Use 'Take5' to get 5 bucks off.

Posts: 770 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Me too Chad, a big block Guzzi with bags and a basic windshield along with and a month or longer off to tour the country.... nirvana.

Posts: 7102 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
I've always admired Guzzis maybe because they're Italian, maybe just because they're somewhat different. My first Moto Guzzi was way back in 1972 a V7 Sport, more recently came a 2007 Griso 1100 and I regret selling both of them. Well last Fall I noticed a used one on the floor of the local Japanese motorcycle store, it was a 2016 V7 Stone with not even 600 miles but over priced (I felt) at $6,500. I think it's the least expensive bike Guzzi offers listing for about $8,500 new. To Guzzi's credit they do manufacture them at their factory in Italy rather than in Thailand like Ducati and Triumph do with their lower price models. Anyway I fought the temptation to buy it.

When I was in the store a couple weeks ago I noticed they still had it so of course I had to look it over and sit on it again. Nicely styled standard motorcycle but I've never cared for matte paint on a motorcycle. Lifting it off the stand it felt so light, the bars were not too high or too low they seemed perfect, seat nice and flat which makes it easy to slide back and up to change position, and (unlike I find on most Guzzi's) the pegs were low enough. Thinking to myself this could be a cool little bike it's comfortable, relatively light, shaft drive, cast wheels so tubeless tires, easy to work on, since it's a 2016 has the 6-speed transmission, it's almost new,..... no I don't need it. As I'm getting off the sales manager comes over "I'll make you a deal on that bike". "Uh well it'd have to be a good deal 'cause I don't need it." He goes to his desk and comes back "I'll do $4,500". I thought what the hell for that price I'll take it so tell him so specifying $4,500 is the price no fees.

As they were loading it in my truck he brought out a box, I looked in it and there were the stock mufflers (the previous owner had fitted polished stainless, Agostini slip-ons which according to the receipt paid $929 for). No wonder it sounded so nice.

Anyway I'm really enjoying this bike, still trying to adjust to the flat paint though.

IMO, you did good. Guzzi is a great ride.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:

IMO, you did good. Guzzi is a great ride.

Thanks GW I love this little bike.

Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
I've had an addiction to bikes since I've born. I've realized the older I get, them more I'm drawn to bikes that as old, or older than me. I have a serious love affair with any 70/80's era Japanese inline aircooled fours.

Never been into the Harley thing. Just not my style.

I've always loved the look of the Guzzi engine. I had a customer who owned his father's bike (V-7, I think). All original, very low miles, but needed parts. The needed parts scared me away. But it was a beautiful bike, I regret not getting it, but again, I don't have first hand knowledge of them, and I didn't want something sitting in my garage, that was un-rideable.

Enjoy your Guzzi. Sounds like you stole it out the door!

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Neat! I have been a BMW guy, bought my first one, an R-50, in 1960, but I had always thought that a Guzzi like yours would be great.

Too late for me now, I no longer ride.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30700 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Guzzi's have some of the sexiest lines to me. I love riding inline 4's, especially in the twisties, but I have been contemplating a V7 to kick around on in town.

Posts: 2833 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ASKSmith:
...I've realized the older I get, them more I'm drawn to bikes that as old, or older than me. I have a serious love affair with any 70/80's era Japanese inline aircooled fours....

Enjoy your Guzzi. Sounds like you stole it out the door!

Me too!

Not stole but I think a decent deal....

quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Neat! I have been a BMW guy, bought my first one, an R-50, in 1960, but I had always thought that a Guzzi like yours would be great.

Too late for me now, I no longer ride.

Sounds like you're about 10-15 years older than me V-Tail, my first BMW was a 1976 R75 I bought in 1978 at 22 years old. This V7 reminds me of that R75, probably similar power characteristic only much better brakes and suspension, and less maintenance.

Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mutedblade:
Guzzi's have some of the sexiest lines to me. I love riding inline 4's, especially in the twisties, but I have been contemplating a V7 to kick around on in town.

I'd say if you're interested in a fairly light weight, simple, air cooled bike, at least give Guzzi a look. Dealer in Accident Maryland has probably 24 on the floor and seems to be pretty aggressive in pricing.

posted Hide Post
Over the years I had the privilege to own many motorcycles, Hondas, Kawasakis, Triumph, Harleys, BMWs and my two favorites, Moto Guzzi Centauro and a Quota. They were the two bikes that I enjoyed the most.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2891 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Nice to hear, interesting how some motorcycles that aren't the best at anything can end up being so fondly thought of..

posted Hide Post
When I was in Italy at Aviano, the local cops all rode MG cop bikes.
Two of them chased into the main gate once. I asked if I could take one of their bikes for a test ride.
They declined, sadly.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16102 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Way back when, I had a LeMans 750 that I rebuilt from a few boxes of pieces plus a few I had to find, like wheels. I rode it around UK for about 6000 miles for almost five years until it all came to a grinding halt - literally - while I was waiting for the lights to change at Kingston Bridge. Chugchugchugchu-

Silence.

Being in the middle of London rush-hour traffic is NOT the place to break down, so I got off and pushed to the roadside.

No cellphones back then, so I hurried over to a store and asked to use their phone. Half an hour later, the recovery from Comerfords of Thames Ditton arrived, loaded my poor old Guzzi on, and went straight to their workshops. I left it there and got home the hard way - by train. They called me up a few days later to advise met that the crankshaft had actually broken in two at a counterweight, and that things inside the crankcase were 'a bit of a mess'. A few weeks later, me and pal collected the remains and an engine 'kit'. I rebuilt it - VERY carefully - happy to learn that it had been nothing to do with me, just a lucky [?] break. The shop techie told me that I should be grateful it hadn't happened on the passing lane of a major highway... there was not a single rotating component in the crankcase, and I would undoubtedly have been catapulted into my next phase of existence.

I kept it for another five years, and made 37K miles on it before I changed my heart about bikes, for another reason entirely.

Posts: 11332 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:

Sounds like you're about 10-15 years older than me V-Tail, my first BMW was a 1976 R75 I bought in 1978 at 22 years old. This V7 reminds me of that R75, probably similar power characteristic only much better brakes and suspension, and less maintenance.
I have owned a handful of BMWs, from the R-50 that I bought in 1960, to my first (and only) K model.

While working on an assignment in Spain in 1977 / 1978, I ordered a R-100 from Butler & Smith, the U.S. importer / distributor at the time, paid Butler & Smith, but picked the motorcycle up at the BMW delivery facility in Munich. It was my daily driver / commuter / grocery getter / touring machine for the year and a half that I worked in Barcelona, and it came home with me to the U.S.

Of all the BMWs that I have owned, my favorites were the 1960 R-50, and a 1978 R-100RS. The R-50 was stolen while I was in class at Brooklyn PolyTech, and I stupidly sold the R-100RS.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30700 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
...I have owned a handful of BMWs, from the R-50 that I bought in 1960, to my first (and only) K model.

While working on an assignment in Spain in 1977 / 1978, I ordered a R-100 from Butler & Smith, the U.S. importer / distributor at the time, paid Butler & Smith, but picked the motorcycle up at the BMW delivery facility in Munich. It was my daily driver / commuter / grocery getter / touring machine for the year and a half that I worked in Barcelona, and it came home with me to the U.S.

Of all the BMWs that I have owned, my favorites were the 1960 R-50, and a 1978 R-100RS. The R-50 was stolen while I was in class at Brooklyn PolyTech, and I stupidly sold the R-100RS.

Good old days of Butler and Smith and European delivery.

The R100RS is a classic for sure, and nice bike even today, I bought one new in 1981 that was totaled two years later when a car pulled out in front of me.

My current RS.....

Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
Nice! Guzzis have such great riding personality and heritage.

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
My R-100RS looked like this:

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
Is this a BWM thread or are you guys just hijacking it? Razz

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Dad won one of these bad boys in a raffle when i was a kid, does it count?

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post