SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New Visa card features announced
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Visa card features announced Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
“Visa is changing how their debit and credit cards work in order to reduce the number of physical cards Americans need to carry around.

With the new features, which will be available by summer, banks will be able to issue one physical payment card that's connected to multiple bank accounts.

It means your wallet could get thinner since there'd be no need to carry, say, a Bank of America or Chase debit card as well as their respective credit cards.

Americans will able to customize their payment settings with their bank - such as having all purchases below $100 or with a certain merchant go on their debit card, while other purchases go on their credit cards.

Visa is saying this could make obsolete the 16-digit code you have to type in every time you go shopping on a new website.

'I think (with these features) we’re getting past the point where consumers may never need to manually enter an account number ever again,' said Mark Nelsen, Visa’s global head of consumer payments.…”

DailyMail article:
https://mol.im/a/13424355

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9078 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Is this something like a all-in-one printer? That, if it's broken (hacked), everything ceases to function (your money's gone)?

Q

Posts: 26640 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like this is to make it easier and less costly for Visa and easier for hackers.

I do not want multiple accounts connected to one card.

My debit card is only used to withdraw cash, no vendor purchases, brick & mortar or online.

Posts: 1081 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh boy. I won't be able to opt out of the government monthly freeze dried cricket food allotment.
Just thrilled at this feature....

Posts: 24 | Registered: March 30, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SW_Sig:
My debit card is only used to withdraw cash, no vendor purchases, brick & mortar or online.

An ATM card can do that for you...And unlike a Debit card, if your ATM is lost or stolen, nobody can use it to empty your bank account!

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9036 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Dumb, dumb, dumb.

It sounds like this means they would merge their ATM and debit cards and credit cards into the same bit of plastic, to save themselves some card-production costs. No way do I want to have any plastic activity on anything even remotely linked directly into my bank account. Bad enough there's the risk of credit card numbers getting stolen and misused, but there's a reason my bank ATM card only gets used at the bank, and I won't be using any multi-function cards or card numbers out and about, or online.

The good news is that this 'feature' sounds like it would only apply if your credit card was issued by the bank you also use for your checking account. If my bank were dumb enough to do this, I'd immediately close either the checking account or the card.

Posts: 15052 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Consolidation rather than diversification of risk and flexibility?

Woooohoooo sign me up!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12469 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
quote:

An ATM card can do that for you...And unlike a Debit card, if your ATM is lost or stolen, nobody can use it to empty your bank account!
Unless you write your PIN on the back! Yes, I know someone who has done this because "it is too hard to remember." Yes, she's blonde.

Posts: 6544 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Min-Chin-Chu-Ru... Speed with Glare
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
quote:

I have checking accounts at a local bank and Bank of America, and neither offers a stand-alone ATM card. With both, my only option is a debit card that functions as an ATM card and that's the only way I use them. I make no purchases with these cards.

Posts: 1271 | Location: MA | Registered: December 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^Well, that's certainly another example where 'Bank of Amigos' falls short! Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9036 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I do not want multiple accounts connected to one card.

My thoughts exactly.

If my credit card gets hacked (it has) I don't want them to have access to other accounts too.
No way!

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24204 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
Visa is saying this could make obsolete the 16-digit code you have to type in every time you go shopping on a new website.

Has society gotten to the point that typing in a 16-digit code is just too inconvenient? YGTBSM!

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2545 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:

How so? You still have to "identify" this fancy new card to the site, don't you?

Posts: 7288 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M'headSig:

I have checking accounts at a local bank and Bank of America, and neither offers a stand-alone ATM card. With both, my only option is a debit card that functions as an ATM card
Same here, with couple credit unions and banks. It has been many years since I have seen an ATM-only (non-debit) card available from any financial institution that I know.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30809 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Is this something like a all-in-one printer? That, if it's broken (hacked), everything ceases to function (your money's gone)?

quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
quote:

How so? You still have to "identify" this fancy new card to the site, don't you?

So, I think the idea here is just a physical version of Visa's "Click to Pay", where this "universal" card (just like your smartphone's wallet/pay app) communicates the charge via encrypted tokens instead of actually transmitting a card number. However, it'll have to rely on some kind of online account management system for you to be able to assign the different cards the way you want to. It obviously wouldn't be possible to select the card/account you want to pay with through the physical card itself.

What the article got right is that online fraud is much more common. It's because most card numbers are actually stolen via random number entry (you'd think this would be difficult because 16 digits is a lot, but the first 8 digits aren't actually random). What the article got wrong is that even though the Apple Card functions much the same way, the physical card itself does actually have its own number (like any other regular card), which can be stolen, even though it isn't written on the card.

Formerly known as tigerbloodwinning

Posts: 372 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 14, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I try to minimize the number of credit cards I have; I have a Chase Sapphire Reserve Visa and a green AmEx card; then I have an Apple Card which I don't use.
Whenever possible I use Apple Pay, with the understanding that they use a one-time token, and that is more secure than transmitting the credit card number.
I use a debit card only for the occasional cash withdrawals, because I understand the recourse for fraud is only good with a credit card, not a debit card.

So I see no benefit to Visa's new "feature" for me.

Posts: 18128 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Usually, when something that has been around a while gets a new "feature," it's good for them, not you.

Posts: 4021 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you really think it’s in an effort to limit the cards you have to carry I have a bridge.

The reason they want to do it is right in the article. They want to link the card to your bank account and the part they forgot to mention is that once their dream of an electronic currency happens they can electronically take the payment from your account if you didn’t make one that month.

America is terrible at personal finance and have racked up 1.3 trillion in credit card debt so they want their money.

Posts: 3940 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Great, making it easier for people to spend money they don't have. What an idea.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19282 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
The next step to prevent fraud will be a subcutaneous ID chip to keep someone from illicitly using your card. No way that could go south, right?

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15661 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post