SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Practical Advice For Fuel Tank Swap Requested
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Practical Advice For Fuel Tank Swap Requested Login/Join 
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted
My 1995 Ford F150 XL with the 4.9L and dual fuel tanks needs new tanks and pumps. If you'uns have any practical advice, not typically found in the YouTube and other places I have already searched, it would be most appreciated. This may include
---do not use up all your swear words on the first tank
---soak tank strap nuts and bolts with Kroil before using the impact wrench
---be careful not to...

I'm looking for lessons learned and worth repeating.

I have carefully deduced that both tanks and pumps need replacing. At present to start the truck I have to jumper between relay terminals 30 and 87, then whack the tank under the pump with a rubber hammer, then replace the relay and start the truck. Relay, inertia switch, and fuel tank switch are fine. I have already ordered two new fuel tank assemblies with pumps and sending units within.

Thanks in advance.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5059 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I have always wondered about replacing the rear tank on my 97 f250 with the tank from a Bronco, which holds around 30 gallons. It looks like it might fit. You’d lose the crappy under-bed spare tire mount, though.

Posts: 26935 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I am replacing with units from Spectra, made in Canada, with OEM dimensions. I will have 36 gallons of fuel available with both. I hope I can actually remove the spare tire to get to the rear tank.

-------

Posts: 5059 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I replaced the tank in my old Chevy pickup. It was a real pain in the ass. Nothing special to know but do watch a few YouTube videos first.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5048 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
At present to start the truck I have to jumper between relay terminals 30 and 87 ...

I'm having trouble with this part. Why do you have to do that? Pin 30 is hot all the time, 87 feeds the pump circuit. You've completely bypassed the relay. Does the relay not engage? It should click on when you turn the ignition on, sending voltage to 87, then click off after 2 seconds if you don't crank the engine. It should (obviously) be on as long is the engine is cranking or running.

Posts: 27982 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
If you have a tow hitch, it may need to be removed to get the rear tank out.....at least it did on my 88 truck.

Try to get most of the fuel out before dropping the tanks, they can be heavy with a full tank.

Good luck!

Mike

You can run, but you cannot hide.

If you won't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Posts: 4935 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: January 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Sometimes its easier to remove the bed to get at the tank and fittings. Did that when I replaced a pump on my old Chevy K3500.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15267 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I did both tanks on an 89 econiline van some years back.
There is also an additional fuel pump located on frame under floor of drivers seat.
Not a bad job unless the tanks are full of fuel.
Floor jack and a sidewinder air ratchet will help.
P B blaster for the rusty strap bolts helps.

Posts: 22411 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Use a motorcycle jack under the tanks.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3854 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Regarding the question on jumpering 30-87 at the relay...the system will power on the pump only for three seconds, when the relay is in place. To keep the pump running for a few seconds more, so you can hammer the tank to jostle the pump rotor free, I have to jumper the power to that pump. I pull the jumper and put the relay back in place once I know the pump is actually freely spinning and delivering fuel.

-------

Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sometimes its easier to remove the bed to get at the tank and fittings. Did that when I replaced a pump on my old Chevy K3500.

I worked at an auto shop in the rustbelt during high school, this was the preferred method. There are usually six or eight bed bolts and a few electrical connectors for the taillights. Much more accessible than messing around with the strap bolts. This will give you easy access to everything you need.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I doubt you'll get the strap nuts off - I had to replace a fuel pump on an 8 year old truck and they were rusted tight. I ended up hammering a crap 12pt socket on them and twisting the bolt until it broke. The hanger strap bolts seemed pretty soft so it wasn't that big of a deal.

Working with vehicle fuel tanks ranks right up there (on the shit job list) with replacing transmission fluid filters in a transmission that doesn't have a drain on the pan.

An obvious one is to make sure the tanks are mostly empty to make it much easier. Either pump them out or (since you're replacing the tanks) punch a hole in the lowest corner to let them drain.

Good luck. I'd learn a few new swear works just for the occasion!

Shawn

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1748 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No smoking!
No acetylene torch! Big Grin
And yes, I was present when an idiot friend burned down his garage (and his truck) by cutting his straps with a torch.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16116 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
Regarding the question on jumpering 30-87 at the relay...the system will power on the pump only for three seconds, when the relay is in place. To keep the pump running for a few seconds more, so you can hammer the tank to jostle the pump rotor free, I have to jumper the power to that pump. I pull the jumper and put the relay back in place once I know the pump is actually freely spinning and delivering fuel.

I see. Actually rather clever. Smile

If a fuel pump starts working, or tries to, with blows to the tank, that is a dead giveaway. I have actually rapped on tanks (but with a helper to crank the engine) as a diagnostic aid and to try to get the vehicle running long enough to drive it into the shop. Especially since rupturing an Achilles tendon doing that, I really dislike pushing cars.

Two other things: the fuel pressure and return lines are probably push-on and quick-connect. Notice I didn't say quick disconnect. A tool, something like this one …

… is needed. They might have plastic clips like these …

… but I doubt it on this year. Unless you take the bed off, you'll need a light to see what you're doing. DO NOT USE AN INCANDESCENT LIGHT. If a bulb breaks in the presence of gas fumes, we might be reading your obituary instead of about your truck running. LED or fluorescent lights only.

Posts: 27982 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Order new tank straps to go with your tanks. Pulling the bed off the truck won't help if you are replacing the tanks. This does work to replace the pump only though. Remove the fuel line at the fuel filter (you should replace it anyway) Jumper the fuel pump and pump the fuel into a gas can before you drop the tank.

Posts: 438 | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
The dealer had to replace a tank on my dad's 73 Camper Special.....they had to replace it a 2nd time when they discovered somehow someone overlooked inspecting the new tank for pinhole leaks before the install........

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9856 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
If you can gain access to a lift, your job will be much easier than laying on the garage floor to wrestle tanks. Ask me how I know...

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Remove the bed. It doesn't take very long to remove the bed, but it makes swapping the tanks a hell of a lot easier.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
I had a Mercury Grand Marquis and I had to pull the tank (don’t recall why, I think fuel pump replacement). I was going to reuse the studs that the strap bolts on (strap goes over stud, it goes over strap). I could never get the strap on over the stud so I bought new studs and found out why. Once the strap is bolted over the stud the end of the stud breaks off (I think it’s to prevent puncturing the gas tank in a crash). I would have never gotten that strap bolted on using the old studs. So buy new studs in case that’s a Ford thing.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post