SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Oil Change Poll: Hot (warm) or Cold Change
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oil Change Poll: Hot (warm) or Cold Change Login/Join 
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
Crank it, let it idle till warm.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
I crank up both engines and generators and let them run for about 45 minutes. I put a load on the generators and put the engines in gear with the trolling valves active. After I shut everything down I pull my oil samples. Then I proceed to pump the oil out and start changing filters.
To answer the question, very warm. The pump won't pump cold oil.
My vehicles I take to the oil change place.

Posts: 1201 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I change it warm. It needs to be warm, but not hot.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
They can change it at any temp they want. I don't care.

My last change and rotate was 16 bucks (dealership). I am not going to crawl around under the car for that, no way in hell.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4579 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing a thing or two
about a thing or two
Picture of hray
posted Hide Post
Guess I'm the only one. I do it cold. Temps down here don't effect oil flow that much. Get up in the morning after truck has sat all night and I know that all the oil that's going to be in the pan is in the pan. Remove the drain plug, drain the front fuel/water separator, remove oil filter that is half full now (helps Ram 6.7 less mess), replace front fuel filter, replace rear fuel filter. By this time there's little to no oil dripping from oil drain hole. Button everything up. I'm crazy so I don't even pre fill my oil filter. I poor 3 gallons of oil in the oil fill and fire her up. Hray

P226 NSWG
P220 W. German
P239 SAS gen2
P6 1980 W. German
P228 Nickel
P365XL
M400 SRP

Posts: 1137 | Location: South Miami Dade | Registered: May 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
Not to change the subject... but a few years back I asked a question on the internet that had always baffled me.... what is synthetic oil? Kind of confusing since most synthetics are made out of oil.

Most synthetic base stock is made from natural gas. This results in an optimal, uniform molecule size without all the impurities, such as paraffin. This gives synthetics superior viscosity characteristics, particularly when soot loaded and when cold.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oldrider
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
The warmer the oil is, the more suspended solids you'll remove when you drain it.

Bingo! I usually do mine after a trip into town. I take the long way home and it's up in the air plug pulled and I do something else for half an hour or so to let returning oil find it's way out.

Posts: 360 | Location: Outinthesticks | Registered: October 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Cold, after the vehicle has been sitting on ramps overnight. Takes longer to drain, yes, but I do other things to the vehicle and by the time I’m done it’s finished draining.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3956 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mjohn
posted Hide Post
I do hot. With that being said, with the engine cold I first loosen up the oil drain screw (maybe a 1/4 turn to make sure it will break free easily) and then back to tight. Then, I do the same with the oil filter (break it free and then back to tight).

By doing this I do not get any exhaust pipe burns on my arms or hands from trying to get in weird postings trying to apply torque to the plug or filter.

Don't ask how I know.

Posts: 1465 | Location: Sandbox City VA | Registered: September 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Warm for me. I figure just about warm enough after I get the other car out of the garage and the ramps set up.

Posts: 13049 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
I learned to change oil from my master mechanic uncle. He taught me to change it hot(warm) for the cleanest change, including for all the reasons stated above. I don't change my oil anymore, but I don't think this principle has changed.

Posts: 8603 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I drive it, get it home put up in the air and drain it right away. The "stuff" in the oil is suspended. The oil is hot so it drains quicker. I also have the car angled abit so that the drain plug hole is tilted towards the drain pan. And I also let it drain for at least 10-15 minutes before I put the plug back in.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Back when I used to change oil, I'd let it drain overnight. Every now and again I'd then after draining I'd add some really cheap high detergent oil and run it for 15 minutes or so and then drain that overnight. Probably overkill but it made me think I was really cleaning that sucker out.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
Getting scalded by hot oil is a thing of the past if you install a drain valve, such as Fumoto.

I put one of those on last year and I love it.

I learned about those here on SIGForum and have them on my F350 and Honda Odyssey. I used it today when I changed the oil on the Odyssey. Attach a hose to the valve, put the other end into an empty oil jug from the last oil change. No mess, no burned hands. I punch a hole in the filter and let it drain.

Thank you again, to whomever suggested these.

Hot.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: trapper189,

Posts: 10828 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GTO
posted Hide Post
It also depends on how long the vehicle has sat. I bought a car that sat for 10 years and drained a gallon plus of water before oil started to flow. Condensation, humidity factor.

Posts: 242 | Location: Gig Harbor WA | Registered: March 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
Warm

Posts: 13014 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love some of the answers. Growing up our Gas Station had most of the FHP work. Those cars would come in freaking smoking hot, right on to the lift and I would have to change the oil. YIKES! Noting like pulling off an oil filter right next to the exhaust pipes of a car that had been running hard for the last 6 hours or pulling the plug and feeling that nice hot oil on your hands!

I would say, close to hot, but let it sit for a good 20 mins before you drain it.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post