SIGforum
A renewed interest in Sigs - DA/SA goodness

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/2910051894

January 25, 2023, 12:52 AM
muddle_mann
A renewed interest in Sigs - DA/SA goodness
I just can’t warm up to striker fired anything. Want simple manual of arms i.e., no safety. Sigs get the nod. Future plans for a P229 Legion.

Some questions:

- the E2 grip. See it can added to most Sigs of any generation. Did something in the frame change?
- Saw an ad for an older 229 that uses “legacy” mags? Can modern Sigs made with E2 grips take any generation sig mag?
- what’s the difference between an M11 and a P229? Do they take the same mags?
- can the E2 grips be installed on the M11?

Thanks in advance

Pissed off beats scared every time…

- Frank Castle
January 25, 2023, 03:24 AM
You probably will get more help posting this in the Pistols section. But, since I just happened to pass by. Razz

quote:

- the E2 grip. See it can added to most Sigs of any generation. Did something in the frame change?
The E2 can be fitted on any P229 frame. Just need the E2 main spring seat and hammer strut. There has been no frame P229 change that makes the E2 grip unworkable.

- Saw an ad for an older 229 that uses “legacy” mags? Can modern Sigs made with E2 grips take any generation sig mag?
"Legacy" mags is user made up term, not in SIG nomenclature. Officially, SIG NH calls the original P229 (with the short extractor & the half height rear cocking serrations) the Legacy P229, sometime after they introduced the 2nd gen P229 (one with the long external extractor & the full height rear cocking serrations) in late 2009.

In .40/.357, Legacy and 2nd gen guns have identical frame dimensions, so mags are the same.

When it comes to 9, there is difference in frame's internal magwell dimension between the Legacy and the 2nd gen gun. Legacy 9 gun has the same internal magwell dimensions as the P228 and uses the old mag (probably what seller means by "legacy" mag). Second gen 9 gun's frame was standardized with the .40/.357. This means it has the internal magwell that is just a little wider than that of the Legacy 9. The mag for the 2nd gen P229(9) was introduced with a wider body at the bottom half and is designated the 229-1 mag. Old ("Legacy") mag works in both gen guns, but 229-1 mag works only on 2nd gen.

- what’s the difference between an M11 and a P229? Do they take the same mags?
The M11 is military name for the P228. The M11-A1 is just a non-rail 2nd gen P229(9), and yes, they take the same 229-1 mag, as noted above.

- can the E2 grips be installed on the M11?
Yes.

Q

January 25, 2023, 03:45 PM
muddle_mann
Wow! Thanks Mr. Q!

Some follow ups:

The P228 has a slide made of folded carbon steel and the 229 has a milled stainless slide, yes?
And one can tell by a roll pin holding the breech on the carbon Sigs vs a solid pin in the stainless Sigs, yes?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: muddle_mann,

- Frank Castle
January 25, 2023, 04:09 PM
quote:
Originally posted by muddle_mann:
The P228 has a slide made of folded carbon steel and the 229 has a milked stainless slide, yes?
And one can tell by a roll pin holding the breech on the carbon Sigs vs a solid pin in the stainless Sigs, yes?

All P228s, except one, have the folded carbon steel slide. And, all P229s have the milled stainless slide, yes. The pins are just supporting actors. The true difference is that the folded slide has a separate pinned breech block, while the milled stainless slide is a one-piece construction.

Couple of pics grabbed from the internet. The first one shows the difference between the folded slide (top) and the milled slide (bottom). You can clearly see part of the breech block exposed. The second pic shows the stripped breech block.

Q

January 25, 2023, 05:30 PM
sjtill
That's Dr. Q, but we just call him Q. Wink

January 25, 2023, 11:35 PM
muddle_mann
Thanks Mr Dr Q Wink

Thanks again for the clarification!

So, safe to assume modern non “legacy” sig mags have the indentations in the mag body?

- Frank Castle
January 25, 2023, 11:55 PM
^^^^ Correct. But, just call me Q, like Dr. Goodheart says. Razz

Q

January 26, 2023, 10:18 AM
muddle_mann
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
^^^^ Correct. But, just call me Q, like Dr. Goodheart says. Razz

Does that mean I can be Dr. muddle? Cool

Seriously though, thanks for the information. Cleared everything up for me.

- Frank Castle