SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New to Me W German P226
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New to Me W German P226 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Nice score. That thing doesn't look like it was shot much.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beautiful, difficult to find such nice classic examples these days. Enjoy it!

Btw, as far as this being a NJSP gun, the NJSP never issued the P226. They adopted the P228 in 2000 and issued it through 2014. After a brief interlude with the P229, they switch to Glock later that year.

Posts: 28 | Location: USA | Registered: December 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by njluger:

Btw, as far as this being a NJSP gun, the NJSP never issued the P226. They adopted the P228 in 2000 and issued it through 2014. After a brief interlude with the P229, they switch to Glock later that year.

Here is the "P228" that SIG offered the NJSP in 2007 as the "T&E sample" that was right smack in the middle of their P228 contract. They only made 2 of these, the only factory made stainless slide P228s in existence. Pretty interesting story on why these were made as T&E right in the middle of the P228 contract.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thanks for that info. Good to know.

Posts: 54 | Registered: February 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:

Here is the "P228" that SIG offered the NJSP in 2007 as the "T&E sample" that was right smack in the middle of their P228 contract. They only made 2 of these, the only factory made stainless slide P228s in existence. Pretty interesting story on why these were made as T&E right in the middle of the P228 contract.

That is very nice. Is it yours, and how did you acquire it?

Posts: 54 | Registered: February 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will fear no evil..
Psalm 23:4
posted Hide Post
Wow Q!!

That’s an amazing find. I’d love to know how you acquired that. That’s a keeper for sure.

Posts: 947 | Location: NJ | Registered: September 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
How I came into possession of this most usual P228, plus its back story.

Back in December 2016, just 2 months after I won PROTO-1, I was just cruising GB not looking for anything in particular. Suddenly, a listing caught my attention, a two-tone P228. Clicking on the listing to see what the seller had, I was a little taken a back, because the pics clearly showed a classic Legacy slide P229, not any P228 that I'm so accustomed to know. But, looking at them pics more closely, and the original factory box, too, I was stunned. The original box had all the original factory labels showing that it was a P228. And the slide itself had "P228" stamped on it! HOLY COW! How is this possible, I said. My assertion at the time has always been that the factory original stainless slide P228 does not exist. But, there it was. Eek

Description from seller said that there were only a few of these made for the NJ State Police in 2007 for T&E. So, I placed a bid, and waited impatiently for 10 days (man it was a long 10-day auction). As luck would have it, I ended up with it at the starting bid. No other bidders. I suppose many folks thought it was fake, so no other bids. Incredible, right? But, that's not the end of it.

Afterward, seller communicated with me that, he got a call from someone at SIG, the person who actually came up with this model, telling him that there were only 2 made, and that he would have bought the gun, had he known it was up for sale. So, I also contacted the SIG CSR who I had worked with several times to verify the story, and bingo, it was true, only two of these were made for the NJSP in Sept 2007. Wow!

The back story of why/how this sample came about

So, I posted this latest acquisition on here at the time. A big shot from SIG NH saw it and registered on here to contact me and gave me the scoop. He gave me permission to tell the story, but not using his name. He also saw the gun listed on GB at the time but thought it was fake because a real P228 can't have the milled stainless slide, right? When he discussed it with the guy who actually conceived the gun and realized it was the real deal from their factory, he went back on GB, but the gun was already sold to me.

Back in 2007, the New Jersey State Police (NJSP) was 7 years into the SIG P228 contract. We all know that the P228 has the folded carbon steel slide as opposed to the machined stainless slide that is of the P229.

Around this time, SIG was phasing out the P228. So, some high-up at SIG was thinking about some new gun for the NJSP, namely, the P229. But, right in the middle of the contract, you cannot just out of the blue submit a brand new model to them. So, this SIG man came up with the idea of making a couple of virgin P229s, rollmarked them "P228", with case labeled as P228, and officially released them as P228s and showed them to the NJSP. It's like, "Hey guys, here are a couple of new P228s for you to play with. Wink wink. See how you like them." The rest is history. The NJSP eventually adopted the P229 in 2014. The P229 run with NJSP was short-lived, as noted above by njluger, from late 2014 to early 2016, but that is an entirely unrelated story.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will fear no evil..
Psalm 23:4
posted Hide Post
Great story and find. Thanks for the update. On a side note, NJSP currently issues a G19 with a plus 2 base plate and I’ve heard they are looking into the G45..

Posts: 947 | Location: NJ | Registered: September 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Working for Water
Picture of Chance228
posted Hide Post
quote:

The 228 was the Sig issued sidearm. NJSP TEAMS (SWAT) has carried both the P226 and P220. Those I have seen in service were all newer, railed models with lights attached. Most likely this gun was personally owned by a trooper; not issued.

Posts: 1050 | Location: Central New Jersey | Registered: February 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^Correct - This was NOT an issued sidearm for the NJ State Police. In the 90's, which is the time frame for the OP's 'KE' W.German P226, the NJ State Troopers carried the HK P7.

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8785 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post