SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The United States of America: #1 in Child Sex Slavery
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The United States of America: #1 in Child Sex Slavery Login/Join 
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
There is no more heinous crime than taking advantage of a child, a woman, or an animal.

While I personally believe the transgressors will be judged in the next world, they should also be taken care of in this world so as to discourage others from following in the foot steps.

Posts: 3728 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mesabi:
I'd like to see President Trump make beefed-up human trafficking legislation a keystone of his second term; both for sexual purposes and labor. I especially think that in the case of underage sexual slavery the offense should carry a death sentence.

Just signed an executive order yesterday to get the ball rolling.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politic...te/story?id=68615924

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25429 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your post RogueJSK...it both confirms and sums up some of my suspicions about how this issue is being packaged when presented to the public...I try to avoid subjective terms, but on this issue it just feels a bit too emotionally manipulative when advocates talk about the issue to the public and ask for donations.

...but my heart goes out to anyone, child or adult that is forced or coerced into this life.

As far as I'm concerned, the death penalty isn't used enough and I'd support it's use for those guilty of true human trafficking crimes.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
FWIW, it's well documented that many of the strip clubs around here have trafficked minors. Several were shut down, and a few operators went to jail, but some remained open, claiming, "She had false ID" and thus they got away with no legal responsibility.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10928 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
but some remained open, claiming, "She had false ID"

Which is why many Trafficking laws include something similar to Arkansas' statute:

"(b) It is not a defense to prosecution under subdivision (a)(4) of this section that the actor:
(1) Did not have knowledge of a victim's age; or
(2) Mistakenly believed a victim was not a minor."

Posts: 32522 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mesabi:
I already support a few organizations called the state and federal governments. I'd like to hold them accountable for doing a better job.

Sure, seems to be going well right now with them so I’m sure it will get better if we wait on them.

Posts: 4116 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by mrvmax:
FYI here are a few organizations you can support to help stop this

I'd caution you to be very choosy about which anti-trafficking organizations you contribute towards.

There's a lot of money (both grants and donations) in anti-trafficking outreach these days, since it has grabbed the spotlight in recent years and is becoming recognized as a major issue. And as a result, hundreds/thousands of these non-profits are popping up to get their piece of the pie. But many of these organizations don't have the first clue about what they're doing. And some will not cooperate with other similar organizations, instead trying to monopolize on the "trafficking money" in their area. So there's extreme balkanization going on, with all these organization squabbling about territory and money, and often no real unified attempt at working together to help trafficking victims.

In addition, some of these organizations even end up either not cooperating with, or even directly interfering with, law enforcement trafficking investigations, either through inadvertent bumbling because they don't know what they're doing, or because they are purposely anti-law-enforcement-minded.

There's also a lot of false or inflated stats floating around out there from a number of these organizations, who are just using big scary numbers to frighten PTA meetings and church groups into cracking opening their checkbooks to donate towards Saving The Children.

Don't get me wrong... Yes, it's a seriously major problem. And yes, nonprofits are needed to assist with it, since cops can't also be offering mental health counseling, providing shelters, offering family support services, etc. But stuff like I described can be very frustrating, and counterproductive.

So which ones if any would you endorse?

Posts: 4116 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Polaris is the only national organizations with which I've personally dealt. (But even their data is reportedly questionable.)

Smaller state/local/hometown organizations are very much a crapshoot, as described.

So my best answer is to do your research. Check their finances (as you should with any nonprofit before donating.) Ask your local cops, or even you local FBI office or Federal prosecutor, which local organizations they work well with.

Posts: 32522 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I currently work trafficking investigations. It's an enormous problem, but as someone above said it's not like Taken. Everyone seems to think its snatching kids off the street and selling them. That is very, very rare. What is unfortunately very common is to find kids with problems and to groom them until working in the sex trade seems acceptable to them. The vast majority of what I see are runaways who have met their current traffickers via the internet as a way of making money while on the run. I see far more adult victims being trafficked against their will than kids. It's harder to convince adults, even adults who've been in the life, that it's "ok" to be pimped out. I've seen horrible, horrible things since I took this job. The kids tend to be abused psychologically. The adults tend to be controlled by fear and violence.

Here is the best advice I can give on the subject. WATCH WHAT YOUR KIDS DO ONLINE. I spend a lot of time writing search warrants and reading returns from social media. Kids, and I mean KIDS, not teens, are far more aware of sex than those of us who grew up pre internet have any inkling of. They get curious. They ask the internet and it points them places they really shouldn't be. One of the things I have a problem with is convincing juries that the messages I'm reading came from 13 or 14 year olds.

They communicate with each other, and they communicate with adults. Those adults can and will take advantage of them. The scary thing is so will other kids. I see it every day with kids from every social group. Race, religion, economic status, none of it matters. All that matters is parents who take an active role in monitoring what their kids do, who they talk to and what they talk about, and providing them with knowledge to make sound decisions.

Posts: 2594 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I’d like to know which stat is being used to determine that the U.S. is number one. Total, per capita? I have a hard time believing it is more of a problem here than in Thailand, where it seems much more pervasive and ubiquitous.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8220 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Easy: Most of Thailand's trafficking cases aren't being investigated and reported.

No news is good news, right?

Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by copaup:
I currently work trafficking investigations. It's an enormous problem, but as someone above said it's not like Taken. Everyone seems to think its snatching kids off the street and selling them. That is very, very rare. What is unfortunately very common is to find kids with problems and to groom them until working in the sex trade seems acceptable to them. The vast majority of what I see are runaways who have met their current traffickers via the internet as a way of making money while on the run. I see far more adult victims being trafficked against their will than kids. It's harder to convince adults, even adults who've been in the life, that it's "ok" to be pimped out. I've seen horrible, horrible things since I took this job. The kids tend to be abused psychologically. The adults tend to be controlled by fear and violence.

Here is the best advice I can give on the subject. WATCH WHAT YOUR KIDS DO ONLINE. I spend a lot of time writing search warrants and reading returns from social media. Kids, and I mean KIDS, not teens, are far more aware of sex than those of us who grew up pre internet have any inkling of. They get curious. They ask the internet and it points them places they really shouldn't be. One of the things I have a problem with is convincing juries that the messages I'm reading came from 13 or 14 year olds.

They communicate with each other, and they communicate with adults. Those adults can and will take advantage of them. The scary thing is so will other kids. I see it every day with kids from every social group. Race, religion, economic status, none of it matters. All that matters is parents who take an active role in monitoring what their kids do, who they talk to and what they talk about, and providing them with knowledge to make sound decisions.

My son is 6. We are extremely involved in all of his media consumption. This won't change. We'll be there the whole way.

What I've already seen, from being out in public, but also in peoples homes through work, is that people are more than happy to sit a young child in front of the internet and not pay attention.

It isn't television, and I don't think enough people understand that.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder:

What I've already seen, from being out in public, but also in peoples homes through work, is that people are more than happy to sit a young child in front of the internet and not pay attention.

Truer words have rarely if ever been spoken. I've got a lecture I give to parents about that very topic. The internet may be the greatest invention in the history of mankind. It may also kill us all.

Posts: 2594 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
People (if you can call them that) that hurt little kids should be shot like rabid dogs.....

You don’t try and talk to them, you don’t deal with them, you don’t pray for them, you put them down. End of subject.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11290 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Truer words have rarely if ever been spoken. I've got a lecture I give to parents about that very topic. The internet may be the greatest invention in the history of mankind. It may also kill us all.

any chance that lecture or a similar lecture exists on youtube? I'd like to get more educated since I've got 2 young ones.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10928 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stu1000rr:
I dont think he means 76,000 per day taken for trafficking.....rather 76,000 per day are trafficked. Meaning pimped.....sold......or other wise.

That is my understanding of the video as well.

Posts: 8625 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:

If I recall correctly a person (or persons) suspected of being trafficked were employed in one of his clubs...

Thanks for the info and the clarification.

Posts: 8625 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They bust trafficking rings here in the Houston area all the time. The coyotes are selling girls to these guys. You should see the kinds of people that are arrested for being johns of the trafficked girls. Its really sad.

+

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
quote:
quote:

any chance that lecture or a similar lecture exists on youtube? I'd like to get more educated since I've got 2 young ones.

I'm not sure if one exists, I just grew up with a wariness of this technology, and observations of what it does. What we are speaking of here, may be enough for those who read it, and by all means spread the word.

Be involved in ANY media your children consume, and limit when and how they do.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Polaris is the only national organizations with which I've personally dealt. (But even their data is reportedly questionable.)

Smaller state/local/hometown organizations are very much a crapshoot, as described.

So my best answer is to do your research. Check their finances (as you should with any nonprofit before donating.) Ask your local cops, or even you local FBI office or Federal prosecutor, which local organizations they work well with.

Thanks