SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Backflow Preventer - check valve repair
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Backflow Preventer - check valve repair Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
My Wilkins Zurn 975XL backflow preventer is constantly dripping water. I followed some troubleshooting info and I think I need to repair my #1 check valve.

I think I found a parts kit (o-rings, seal, poppets, etc). Kind of expensive.

The big question is: based on your experience, can a non-handy person DIY this repair? Or should I hire a plumber? Seems kind of straightforward but not sure if special knowledge or tricks and such are involved.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12747 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
It may depend on your local jurisdiction. At our property in Arizona we had to have them repaired by certified personnel.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Well that's a complication. I don't even know how to check if that's required here or not. How is one supposed to know these things?

I'm just trying to figure out if I should order a whole refurb kit (poppets, seats, springs, rings) or just the repair kit (springs and rings - the rubber stuff).

I can try to poke around but I think I can do this - just getting the rubber kit. Just not sure if I should expect to change poppets and springs - are they really a wear item?

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12747 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Is it a double check valve? If you are required to have one it most likely will need to be repaired and certified by someone who is licensed to do the repair. Is it on your main supply line to the house or is it off of the mainline for an irrigation system?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19223 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Well that's a complication. I don't even know how to check if that's required here or not. How is one supposed to know these things?

If you are in a city, call the inspections division. Most cities have restrictions on who can work or certify them…and the inspections will be able to give you a list of plumbers they will allow.

If you are in the county and you are not on a certified water system you are probably GTG on working on it yourself otherwise call the county inspections.

Xxxxxxxxxxxx

Have you untwisted the top to see if it’s not just a piece of trash hung up in the diaphragm allowing water to flow?

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11301 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thx. I'm in a county. Not sure how an average person is supposed to know these regulations. It's on the irrigation line.

In any case, I watched a couple of Zurn videos (very helpful company). I disassembled check #1, turned the gasket over, reassembled and it all seems fine now. There was some debris on the gasket that probably allowed the leak. I will order a kit to replace the rubber parts.

It's all seems fine now. Turns out, very DIY in 5 minutes or less.

Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
If you use a sprinkler company. Not a handy man. Nothing wrong with a handy man btw. They most likely will repair and handle any paperwork. Some of the jurisdictions require it get checked and certified every few years if a requirement. It may or may not be in your area. HOpefully not, was just installed by who ever did your irrigation as a preventative measure. They are designed to protect the main water source from contamination as slight as it might be.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19223 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
Deleted

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1089 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Swap in a new one. Save the old one; bet if you take it apart you'll find just one seal which is finky-funky.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post